Thread: Gonzaga Women’s Non-Conference Schedule Full of Opportunities

Default Gonzaga Women’s Non-Conference Schedule Full of Opportunities

From The Spokesman-Review:

Gonzaga Women’s Non-Conference Schedule Full of Opportunities
    By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

Building a nonconference basketball schedule is tougher than it sounds, especially for the Gonzaga women.

It must be challenging but not overly so, with the big games nicely spread out and most of them in the friendly confines of the Kennel.

“That’s because a lot of teams won’t come out here,” coach Lisa Fortier said Tuesday as the Zags prepared to open the season Thursday night against Montana State.

“So we have to find teams that we want to play and that want to play us so we can put together a good resume.”

This year’s 12-game nonconference schedule fits the bill with a reach-for-the-stars game against defending national champion Stanford, tough challenges against Pac-12 teams Washington State and Utah, and five other games against programs that made the NCAA Tournament last year.

GU should be solid favorites in nine of the 12 games, and there doesn’t appear to be anything that screams “trap game.”

Combined with the 18-game West Coast Conference schedule, that appears to give the Zags a solid shot at hitting the 25-win plateau that would lock up an NCAA Tournament at-large slot should they falter at the WCC Tournament.

You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...full-of-oppor/

ZagDad

I’ve thought a lot about the OOC schedule and what it must take to put one together and what their thoughts are….
    There has to be a plan on what they need from it…. And I’m thinking there is more to it than we think.
    What do you need to consider…. What do you need to accomplish?
    And is this years OOC schedule a good one and why?

What say you… (Got that line from ZD )

Go Zags!!

On a normal year I would say this Out Of Conference (OOC) schedule is weak and leaves no room for missteps if the Lady Zags want to make the NCAA tournament with an "at-large" bid.

However, this year with over 50% of the scoring and rebounding having left and the Lady Zags having to replace their entire frontcourt with the added issue of bringing in 4 freshman and a transfer student, having a less aggressive OOC schedule is probably not a bad thing. That being said, Gonzaga is going to have to take advantage of their few opportunities to beat the P-5 teams on their resume. Play a good, game versus Stanford, beat Utah and beat WSU. It is the WSU's of the P-5 conferences who the Lady Zags will be fighting for an "at large" bid, so you better show them who the better team is when you get the chance.

Good news is the toughest OOC games (Stanford & WSU) are played in the kennel and the 3rd P-5 game is played on a neutral site in Hawaii. The furthest the Lady Zags have to travel under this year's OOC schedule (outside of the tournament in Hawaii) is Missoula and Davis, California, so travel and crossing of time zones is minimized.

With BYU leaving the WCC after next year, the Lady Zags really need to up their OOC schedule to account for losing two high quality conference games. I would say the Lady Zags should have at least four and would prefer 5 games against P-5 or Big East opponents starting in the 2023-2024 baseball year.

ZagDad

FWIW Utah might not be as bad as I expected. It's only one game so have to take it with a grain of salt, but they just scored 105 pts and hit 19 3's against Lipscomb. I thought they had basically no impact newcomers, but they had several freshmen and transfers who looked good in this game. They were also missing 2 probable starters for this game. Utah beat Lipscomb 105-56. For comparison BYU beat the same team 81-58 a day earlier.