Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Lewis and Clark St: Your thoughts and analysis

Default Gonzaga vs Lewis and Clark St: Your thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 112 Lewis & Clark St 62

Timme was unstoppable. He scored whenever he wanted to. He had 19 points by half-time.

Holmgren. Continued to show me why he is the number one player coming out of High School, He is the next Kevin Durant. And IMO a better player than Kevin because he can play defense. He really is a great shot blocker. I really enjoy watching him bring the ball upcourt like a guard.

I saw a different Watson last night, and that makes me feel good. Like the old Watson he is great on defense, and Gonzaga WILL NEED his defense. However, this year he brings more confidence on offense and more hustle. IMO he plays harder which he really lacked in last year.

Strawther continued to show that he is a terrific scorer.

I have to give a shoutout to Sallis. I love how he plays the game. I love the energy he plays with. He IS everything that I hoped he would be.

Our guards trouble me on offense. I'm thinking mostly about their 3 point shooting. It was bad in the first game, and it was equally as bad last night. I do not go along with the thinking that we don't have a Kispert. I think we do, and that player is Strawther. Strawther is a very good 3 point shooter. The player we are going to miss is Ayayi. Ayayi was a good 3 point shooter, and in many games when we needed someone to nail down a 3 it was Ayayi, and not often Kispert. Nembhard was not a good three point shooter last year and unfortunately he has not improved. The player who troubles me the most offensively is Hickman. I am kind of shocked because i saw a lot of video on him and he looked like a real good outside shooter. He has just not adjusted to the D1 game. I'm holding out my final analysis on shooting guards until I see what Harris will bring to the team once he gets back playing. He is a very good offensive player and plays without fear.

I will be interesting to see how Few deals with this problem. IMO, from what I've seen so far, I think Sallis is a better player than Hickman. I've been pretty impressed with Sallis so far. If this happens, I feel it could be okay because Bolton is a good ball handler and can help Nembhard run the offense. Few started 3 guards last night, NEmbhard, Bolton and HIckman, and imo it was not that impressive. And in fact, they looked bad. The first 8 minutes were the worst part of the game. Stawther needs to start at the 3, and if things don't change I'd start Sallis in stead of Hickman. Thats enough out of me right now. Lets see what you all have to say.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I was intrigued or puzzled with the decision to start three guards. I think Strawther starting makes more sense from a match-up standpoint and Sallis feels like a logical substitution when he needs to sit. I thought Anton was a menace on defense and should have been credited with another steal if not for a held ball. Chet is still a work in progress on the low block. He couldn’t move Walker by backing down and struggled a bit in the half court. Right now, he needs us playing fast because a competent big will be able to keep him from establishing position if we try to run the offense through him down low.

Our defense looks like it could be fun. Tons of length and active hands.
    Nemhard looks like he’s really worked on his conditioning. His first step looks faster.
    Perry will be fun to watch as he gets better. BC 2.0.
    Last edited by ZagHouse; 11-06-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Better defense....better transition....too much dribbling and individual plays....progress....

First time seeing the 2021 version of the ZAGS last night. Liked what I saw a lot. Agree with Reborn regarding Sallis and Strawther. It is incredibly early, but this might be the most difficult year for the coaching staff to keep the rotation to the typical 7 or 8.

Another great problem to have...............

One thing I'm sure of this year, Sallis is the ZAG 2021 "hair guy" without a doubt!!

Go ZAGS

BTW loved seeing Stockton's kid (and other locals) out on the court for the Warriors.

Can't figure out how that happened as the Zags NEVER schedule anyone local.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

any injury update/followup on Watson?

he looked bothered by that left knee tweak, yet played tough the rest of the way...

Timme's ankle seemed minor, as did Bolton's back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    BTW loved seeing Stockton's kid (and other locals) out on the court for the Warriors.

Can't figure out how that happened as the Zags NEVER schedule anyone local.
    Good call GZ..............

Really enjoyed the post game embrace between Coach Michaelsen and "baby Stocks". The GU family atmosphere extends to Lewiston Idaho, and much farther afield. DD also had a good comment about The Warehouse and "baby Stocks" involvement over the years.

That was fun to see.

Go ZAGS

Observations yesterdays game. Awesome to see Timme make 7 for 7 free throws, if he keeps that up he will be scoring huge points this season while setting the tone at the free throw line for the team.

We have 2 good 3 point shooters in the 8 main rotation Holmgren and Strawther. The 9th man Gregg also proficient on 3 pointers. When (10th man) Lang has entered with 5 minutes left and also when 11th man Graves comes in a short time later, they are also excellent 3 point shooters.

8 man rotation guards Nembhard, Bolton, Hicks, Sallis all are poor 3 point shooters. Postive all four of these players have good speed and quick drive ability, and as we know Sallis has great hops, for put backs and rebounding.

Holmgren while excellent at blocking, does it weakly and gets out of position keeping him from getting his own blocks. Which is all good if the Zags guards swoop in and rebound his blocks. If not opposing teams will rebound the weak block and get a bucket anyways.

Watson impressed me with his 3/4 press causing a couple of turnovers back to back, good defensive player. In this last game the 2nd line of players coming off the bench provided the spark for the defense to apply pressure. The starting lineup provided no pressure on defensive at the beginning of the game and opposing team was able to hang.

Perry needs to build up his endurance when left in for extended minutes he was gassed towards the end of the game. He could not catch his breath at the free throw line, and just tossed up 2 misses. He looked like he wanted to sit down on the court and take a 5 minute break (that winded). When not winded he is a force inside.

Opposing team Baker (6'8") had a nice game against us scoring 21 points doing it from inside and 3 point line. Concern for opposing teams that have a big man like this that's a dual threat.

Another concern we are giving wide open looks from the 3 point line. If we meet a team that start knocking those down.

Freshman look great but still have tons of things to work on and improve in their game.

Defense can make the difference in games as the 2nd incoming unit showed us in this last game.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-06-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Free throw shooting was much, much better - Zags were at 100% until late in the game.

Three point shooting concerns me quite a bit. Dan Dickau in the interview posted in the "Nice Coach Few Interview" thread said the Zags, without Kispert's percentage last year, only shot 33% last year from the 3-point line, which he said "won't intimidate anyone anymore". While the team ended up with a three point percentage of 42.5 percent, this was attributable to the 3 for 4 shooting by Lang, Gregg and Graves. The top six players shot 32% and so many of these were weakly contested open looks.

Still loving Perry's intensity and nice to see Arlauskas on the floor.

I too hope to see Strawther in the starting lineup moving forward. Gotta have 3 pt shooting around Timme. Maybe easier chemistry wise for both Hickman and Sallis to come off the bench and start the veteran Bolton. If one of Hickman or Sallis were to start the other may get salty about it as both are talented enough to be D1 starters from day one.

This team obviously needs a lot more time to get rotations figured out and develop chemistry together. As that happens, the assists #s will go up. I really think 9 guys minimum deserve regular, meaningful minutes and even 10 cause both Gregg and Perry are ready but hard to develop an identity together with so many substitutions throughout the game. Just for fun, would establishing a rigid rotation pattern help these guys develop on court chemistry and flow?

Start Nembhard, Bolton, Strawther, Holmgren, Timme
    Sub in all at once: Hickman, Sallis, Watson, Perry for a 3/4 pressing lineup w Nembhard (or Bolton)
    This defensive minded unit can up the tempo and hopefully generate easy buckets off TO’s but may struggle to score in the half court.

Starters back in

Repeat….and figure out how to get Gregg some minutes, and remember to ride the hot hand in any given game.

This may be Few’s most talented and challenging team to coach. Can’t wait to watch them all grow!!
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

For me, Sallis is the best of the freshmen so far. He is at the right place almost every time for rebounds, putbacks, defense, etc. He is flying all over the court. Very impressed.

Holmgren is figuring it out and will be awesome. However he got pushed around by their 6'8" 230lb center last night. Chet had to pass out of the post several times because he could not move the guy. Also they would double him and swat the ball away. I'm sure the end of the year Chet will be much better. I can see the Zags using him out on the perimeter on offense to open up the floor for Timme and all of our slashing guards.

Swather. I love his energy and scoring ability. I can see him starting and being our second leading scorer behind Timme and we will need his three point shooting.

From what I am seeing Hickman will be a key player as the second point guard. He started along Andrew this game so I think they will be counting on him. He has made some great passes in the two games. And Few's best teams over the years have had two key point guards.

Bolton is a very strong defender and slasher and reports I have seen say that he is a good three point shooter in practice. I haven't seen that in games yet. I could see Sallis getting more minutes as the season progresses.

Watson is............ Watson. I don't see any change from last year so far but again I have heard that he is knocking down the outside shots in practice. But he is a good post defender and valuable just for that reason alone.

I could also see the Second Coming of Clark get more minutes as the season progresses. Perry is raw but I love his game. He has wanted to be a Zag since he can remember and he shows it. I will love to see his improvement this year and he could be an important piece by the end.

Gregg is a puzzle to me. He is one of the last off the bench this year so far. I expected him to be one of the first because of his experience last season and he can hit the three. So anyway I am rooting for him.

I hope Few opens up the rotation for all these guys to contribute because they are all so good. And Graves and Lang might be needed at times for their long range shooting. If teams pack in the paint to stop Timme and Holmgren, we will need to keep Chet outside more or someone will have to be hitting from the three. We will miss Cory.

Enjoyed the family atmosphere with former HS team mates Watson, Few and Stockton on the floor. John Stockton looked giddy, didn't he? Hope this is isn't the only time we see Joe Few in a game this year-too bad his dad missed that moment.

ZZ

I was disappointed in the passing game, in the half court sets.
    Timme scored at will, but at times he was playing hero ball, not passing to the open shooter on the perimeter.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I was disappointed in the passing game, in the half court sets.
    Timme scored at will, but at times he was playing hero ball, not passing to the open shooter on the perimeter.
    i think that maybe you might have to get used to Timme going one on one a lot of the time; at least until our guards can start knocking down outside shots....someone needs to make shots and last night Timme owned whoever was guarding him. Afterall, he is a first team all-american.

I liked that L&C started out with a small early lead. It didn't last, but it showed they came to play.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

I also thought our half court passing could be better. Saw too much hanging around the three point line. On the flip side the 1:1 game by Timme was great and the transition game was fantastic. Strawther was hunting his shot which was good. I think Hickman needs a few more games before we see his different speeds. Sallis will be there for put backs which will be needed. Holmgren had solid blocks but got stuck a few times on offense against his defender. Liked that Nembhard with his energy and keeping the team focused. Watson had great defense and was there for some good rebounds. There was a scary moment where his knee buckled but glad there was no injury. Bolton is still TBD and I think he will step things up with a few more games. Still wondering how Gregg and Perry will be involved in future lineups.

NCAAB
    Gonzaga Prep Alum Sam Stockton makes SportsCenter Top 10
    Stockton's behind the back pass against Gonzaga was number 10 on ESPN's SportsCenter top 10 plays
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

This is a great thread! Thanks to all for your thoughtful posts, especially to Reborn, who always has something insightful to contribute.

My pleasurem ZN We all do what we can to make this a good place to brag about our Zags. And thank you as well for yu do and all you have done over the years...

Go Zags!

Timme is completely unguardable in the post. You have to double him or he will get a an efficient 20. He’s a joy to watch. Just an unreal post scorer.

Oh how times have changed. I was searching YouTube for a replay, and found this gem:
    https://youtu.be/qzktN3_whZ0

Also, my search was unsuccessful. Anyone know of a way to watch the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 112 Lewis & Clark St 62

Timme was unstoppable. He scored whenever he wanted to. He had 19 points by half-time.

Holmgren. Continued to show me why he is the number one player coming out of High School, He is the next Kevin Durant. And IMO a better player than Kevin because he can play defense. He really is a great shot blocker. I really enjoy watching him bring the ball upcourt like a guard.

I saw a different Watson last night, and that makes me feel good. Like the old Watson he is great on defense, and Gonzaga WILL NEED his defense. However, this year he brings more confidence on offense and more hustle. IMO he plays harder which he really lacked in last year.

Strawther continued to show that he is a terrific scorer.

I have to give a shoutout to Sallis. I love how he plays the game. I love the energy he plays with. He IS everything that I hoped he would be.

Our guards trouble me on offense. I'm thinking mostly about their 3 point shooting. It was bad in the first game, and it was equally as bad last night. I do not go along with the thinking that we don't have a Kispert. I think we do, and that player is Strawther. Strawther is a very good 3 point shooter. The player we are going to miss is Ayayi. Ayayi was a good 3 point shooter, and in many games when we needed someone to nail down a 3 it was Ayayi, and not often Kispert. Nembhard was not a good three point shooter last year and unfortunately he has not improved. The player who troubles me the most offensively is Hickman. I am kind of shocked because i saw a lot of video on him and he looked like a real good outside shooter. He has just not adjusted to the D1 game. I'm holding out my final analysis on shooting guards until I see what Harris will bring to the team once he gets back playing. He is a very good offensive player and plays without fear.

I will be interesting to see how Few deals with this problem. IMO, from what I've seen so far, I think Sallis is a better player than Hickman. I've been pretty impressed with Sallis so far. If this happens, I feel it could be okay because Bolton is a good ball handler and can help Nembhard run the offense. Few started 3 guards last night, NEmbhard, Bolton and HIckman, and imo it was not that impressive. And in fact, they looked bad. The first 8 minutes were the worst part of the game. Stawther needs to start at the 3, and if things don't change I'd start Sallis in stead of Hickman. Thats enough out of me right now. Lets see what you all have to say.

Go Zags!!!
    I like Sallis too… but he has yet to shoot and make a 3 or even a mid range jump shot.
    We shall see…

First half of game I did not see a familiar zag offense. I saw too many guys drive to the basket without looking for passing opportunities. It looked like offenses I often see with other teams where a player goes it alone. I am sure this will develop, and after all Few is not at the helm during the game. Our guards have speed and quickness, I hope to see that talent harnessed in shutting down the opponents 3 pt opportunities. Both games so far the opponents seemed to find lots of situations where they got good 3 pt shots off. I watched a ton of high school videos on Sallis, that's why I put him as the biggest surprise on that thread. He is fearless and confident in everything he does, reminding me of Zach Norvell's attitude; he lives up to his first name. He hasn't needed to pull up and shoot much yet, I hope when he does the ball will go in at respectable levels. At his age he can develop his outside shot more. I like Holmgren's attitude, he plays like a learner, and I haven't seen any ego issues with being top ranked this and that. He is playing like a Frosh who has a lot to learn, and is not pushing everything to the limit right away. I expect Hickman to show his stuff week by week, as he seems to be adjusting to a new team with new systems. I expect Bolton to not have a big improvement curve this season, but hope I am wrong. Sallis is the closest thing we have to Ayayi. I think Gregg and Perry show rapid improvement all season long, along with Chet. Andrew and Timme have been practicing their 3 pt shooting this off season, and time will tell if it has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    First half of game I did not see a familiar zag offense. I saw too many guys drive to the basket without looking for passing opportunities. It looked like offenses I often see with other teams where a player goes it alone. I am sure this will develop, and after all Few is not at the helm during the game. Our guards have speed and quickness, I hope to see that talent harnessed in shutting down the opponents 3 pt opportunities. Both games so far the opponents seemed to find lots of situations where they got good 3 pt shots off. I watched a ton of high school videos on Sallis, that's why I put him as the biggest surprise on that thread. He is fearless and confident in everything he does, reminding me of Zach Norvell's attitude; he lives up to his first name. He hasn't needed to pull up and shoot much yet, I hope when he does the ball will go in at respectable levels. At his age he can develop his outside shot more. I like Holmgren's attitude, he plays like a learner, and I haven't seen any ego issues with being top ranked this and that. He is playing like a Frosh who has a lot to learn, and is not pushing everything to the limit right away. I expect Hickman to show his stuff week by week, as he seems to be adjusting to a new team with new systems. I expect Bolton to not have a big improvement curve this season, but hope I am wrong. Sallis is the closest thing we have to Ayayi. I think Gregg and Perry show rapid improvement all season long, along with Chet. Andrew and Timme have been practicing their 3 pt shooting this off season, and time will tell if it has worked.
    Good post and good analysis but you forgot one person, Strawther, and he may be the best of them all.

Go Zags!!

Lewis-Clark's Sam Stockton hands out five assists, 'so excited' to play at Kennel

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lewis-cla...020100474.html