Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WBB: Zags Open Season with Exhibition Against CWU this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    I would think the players would want to let their fans know what they were kneeling for…. Yes, their house but the kneeling isn’t what puts fans in the seats. And yes, they don’t need to support the team… and that’s a concern.

We see the team support many causes in a positive way. And respectful way… and that’s what their fans want to see.

Go Zags!!

What if some fans chanted and some of the players joined in. Something like "Lets Go Brandon" . I would like just a two hours escape at an event without politics in it. Lets face it standing or kneeling has become political.

What we're dealing with here, I believe, is perception. SkipZag perceives the team's gesture in a certain light, others in a different one. One thing is certain: Social justice commentary in athletics--whether on the collegiate or professional level--is not going away. In Division One basketball, a distinct majority of athletes on men's teams are people of color, though their representation in the universities themselves is generally a small percentage. Less than one percent of GU's student body, for example, is black. Seventy percent is white.

As distasteful as it is, one of the reasons for the men's basketball program's nationwide popularity has been that GU is considered, unfortunately, by a number of bigots in the country as one of the last bastions of "white primacy" in college hoops because of the continued dominance of its teams that have been historically composed of a majority of white players. It's an ugly, gross misrepresentation, but nuance rarely enters the equation in the minds of those who hate.

Gonzaga is doing everything it can to dispel this dreadful perception, including the establishment of new faculty departments dealing with racial diversity and inclusion. AND, recruiting nationally and internationally the very best players available regardless of ethnicity. It's not a matter of "wokeness". It's one of brotherhood, of living the Christian credo of charity and love for all. And yes, the expectation of justice, under the law, for everyone. I, personally, welcome GU and it's players refuting the wrongful, hateful perceptions of the University, however, whenever, it can, including demonstrations at public venues and/or athletic contests on campus.

But we don't play nobody.

Well said and very articulate Upan8th

For those who are interested, here is a complete diversity breakdown for Gonzaga:

Link: https://www.bing.com/search?q=GONZAG...ANNTA1&PC=DCTE

Gonzaga Diversity Link: https://www.gonzaga.edu/about/divers.../facts-figures

ZagDad

Thank You, ZD, for supplying the links. They should have pinned to my "editorial piece. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Thank You, ZD, for supplying the links. They should have pinned to my "editorial piece. Apologies.
    I got your back.

ZagDad

What a great thread… taking a tough topic and showing many different views, thoughts and concerns. And all off of a single picture posted in the Review I believe, without a caption.

Time for me to move on and enjoy GU WBB

Go Zags!!