X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaglaw
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Brief comments: I was at the game and, overall, I liked what I saw. Was very impressed with our young players. Obviously, there are things to work on (e.g., too many turnovers), which is what exhibition games are for. Lots of different lineups tried and some really interesting combinations available for this year - taller lineups. Bree is going to be as advertised - sharp passing, ball handling. Maud struck me as someone who could really contribute early. The Truongs both looked good. Anna seems to have toned up and her defense looked improved. Still needs improvement on offense, though. Other than Kayleigh, I think our major offensive weapons may be some of the newcomers.

One comment on kneeling - I didn't even notice it at the game, but I'm not offended. It is not a diss to the flag, and certainly not the Vets.

Looking forward to this season!

Comment

• SkipZag
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2015

I agree with you Law that they mean no disrespect…. But for many, they see it as disrespect of the Flag and not the support of a cause . And it hurts many who have lost a love one.

Support a cause in a positive movement. Kneeling looks like a protest to many…. And it becomes a more negative than a positive movement.

We have great student athletes at GU and I hate to see them loose support….

Please keep it away from sports….

Go Zags!!

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Zaglaw View Post
        One comment on kneeling - I didn't even notice it at the game, but I'm not offended. It is not a diss to the flag, and certainly not the Vets.
        Thank You Zaglaw.

A demonstration made by a player on the downhill side of his career meant to maximize his remaining platform to bring attention to a topic near and dear to his heart. If your name is not Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc., you are not going to get a national platform to discuss the issues that are important to you. Regardless of your view on the topic, the demonstration was meant to maximize Kapernick's platform, nothing more and certainly nothing to due with veterans and the flag. If you are a female athlete, your opportunity to show your support for any cause is very limited. In the Spring, its wear pink, for breast cancer awareness, some teams have taken to kneeling at the national anthem to show support for equality. Unfortunately, some fans from all around the world, almost weekly, show us we have a long ways to go.

My only concern on this issue regarding the Lady Zags is the "unity" issue. Some comments made by a few of the current players seem to indicate that last year's team was not as cohesive as we would like to believe. Yesterday's picture shows 8 players kneeling and 6 players not kneeling. Hopefully, the team is unified in their decision to show support for a specific issue and that some players have elected to show their support in different ways and everybody on the team is on board with that decision.

Time will tell,

ZagDad

Comment

• Zaglaw
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Thanks, ZagDad. Per the article in the Spokesman from earlier this week, Melody says the chemistry on this team is really good. And you are right that she seems to hint that was not true last year. Hopefully, she is right.

Comment

• ZagDad84
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by SkipZag View Post
            All our foreign students have taken a knee. Sad
            Really?

We know the original reason for Kapernick's protest was social justice. Most of us in America have no idea of the social issues in Europe or Australia. However, if you follow European sports at all, they have a tremendous fan problem (particularly in soccer) with the mistreatment of foreign born players. It has been so bad at times, games have been canceled mid-game and rescheduled to be finished without fans. Some games have been moved to different countries due to fan behavior. Some countries have taken to not selling tickets to English soccer fans because of their behavior.

Given this backdrop of fan behavior in the "old" countries it is not hard to see each and every foreign born player kneeling to support social justice.

ZagDad

Comment

• SkipZag
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2015

So ZD… you know that social justice is what they are kneeling for? Because there are many injustices in the world… none of which we need to be reminded of and I haven’t seen any comments from staff or team. I had a good conversation with a member of GU’s athlete staff… while they understood that free thought was invited at GU, it bothered him very much to have them express their feelings to their fans in that manner.
              There is a time and a place for everything…. And I’m all for them having a say. But I’m not sure the MAC is their best place to do it. Many folks have enough of it day in and day out…. And being reminded of it at the start of an event just isn’t a good place for it.

Love our players… but let’s play ball.

Go Zag!!

Comment

• Section 116
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I'm a vet and I'm not offended. In fact, I applaud the gals.

Comment

• SkipZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2015

I’m glad 116 you feel that way…. And thank you for your service. And I’m sure you are not alone…. That’s what good people are like.
                  But a lot of people look at it differently… probably because they see the image without the why. And disrespect isn’t good. And that’s what they see during the National Anthem. Right or wrong

Let’s play ball

Go Zags!!

Comment

• ZagDad84
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2014

I’m glad 116 you feel that way…. And thank you for your service. And I’m sure you are not alone…. That’s what good people are like.
                    But a lot of people look at it differently… probably because they see the image without the why. And disrespect isn’t good. And that’s what they see during the National Anthem. Right or wrong
                    Let me echo Skip, thank you Section and all other vets for your service.

Skip, if you are asking me if I have inside knowledge of exactly what the girls are supporting with their kneeling, the answer is no. But knowing the coaching staff, and some of the young women, and based on the marches they attended last year, I have a pretty good idea. Knowing the type of people the President, past AD, current AD and coaching staff are and have been over a number of years (minus the new AD) being disrespectful of any group of people would be totally out of character for them and the teams under their guidance. If somebody chooses to be disrespected without knowing what the team is supporting and based on the quality of individuals at team Gonzaga, that is on them, not the team.

The MAC is Gonzaga's house, and they have the right to conduct themselves as they and the University feel fit to do. Fans of Lady Zag Wbb have the right to show their dissatisfaction by simply not buying a ticket, attending events or even not providing support. The Gonzaga Administration and Gonzaga Wbb team (staff and players) obviously feel the issue is important enough to make the demonstration and keep the issue near the forefront of Lady Zag Wbb despite the potential of some supporters not agreeing with their position.

I, for one, am glad Gonzaga and the Lady Zag Wbb have taken a position and not ride the fence. My only hope is that the decision to do so was a "team" decision and not the decision of "some" of the staff and players.

ZagDad

Comment

• SkipZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2015

I would think the players would want to let their fans know what they were kneeling for…. Yes, their house but the kneeling isn’t what puts fans in the seats. And yes, they don’t need to support the team… and that’s a concern.

We see the team support many causes in a positive way. And respectful way… and that’s what their fans want to see.

Go Zags!!

Comment

• northwest1
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Nov 2014

I would think the players would want to let their fans know what they were kneeling for…. Yes, their house but the kneeling isn’t what puts fans in the seats. And yes, they don’t need to support the team… and that’s a concern.

We see the team support many causes in a positive way. And respectful way… and that’s what their fans want to see.

Go Zags!!

What if some fans chanted and some of the players joined in. Something like "Lets Go Brandon" . I would like just a two hours escape at an event without politics in it. Lets face it standing or kneeling has become political.

Comment

• upan8th
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

What we're dealing with here, I believe, is perception. SkipZag perceives the team's gesture in a certain light, others in a different one. One thing is certain: Social justice commentary in athletics--whether on the collegiate or professional level--is not going away. In Division One basketball, a distinct majority of athletes on men's teams are people of color, though their representation in the universities themselves is generally a small percentage. Less than one percent of GU's student body, for example, is black. Seventy percent is white.

As distasteful as it is, one of the reasons for the men's basketball program's nationwide popularity has been that GU is considered, unfortunately, by a number of bigots in the country as one of the last bastions of "white primacy" in college hoops because of the continued dominance of its teams that have been historically composed of a majority of white players. It's an ugly, gross misrepresentation, but nuance rarely enters the equation in the minds of those who hate.

Gonzaga is doing everything it can to dispel this dreadful perception, including the establishment of new faculty departments dealing with racial diversity and inclusion. AND, recruiting nationally and internationally the very best players available regardless of ethnicity. It's not a matter of "wokeness". It's one of brotherhood, of living the Christian credo of charity and love for all. And yes, the expectation of justice, under the law, for everyone. I, personally, welcome GU and it's players refuting the wrongful, hateful perceptions of the University, however, whenever, it can, including demonstrations at public venues and/or athletic contests on campus.

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2014

Well said and very articulate Upan8th

For those who are interested, here is a complete diversity breakdown for Gonzaga:

Link: https://www.bing.com/search?q=GONZAG...ANNTA1&PC=DCTE

Gonzaga Diversity Link: https://www.gonzaga.edu/about/divers.../facts-figures

ZagDad

Comment

• upan8th
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Thank You, ZD, for supplying the links. They should have pinned to my "editorial piece. Apologies.

Comment

Working...
                                X