• Show
Clear All
  • ZagDad84
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2014

WBB: Zags Open Season with Exhibition Against CWU this Saturday

From GoZags:

WBB: Zags Open Season with Exhibition Against CWU this Saturday
    The game is set to tipoff in McCarthey at 2 p.m.

-/RV Gonzaga (0-0, 0-0 WCC) vs. Central Washington (0-0)
    SATURDAY, NOV. 6 | 2 P.M. | McCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER | SPOKANE
    LIVE VIDEO | LIVE STATS | Radio: 790 AM KJRB

THE TIP OFF
    - Gonzaga welcomes Central Washington in an exhibition for both teams Saturday at 2 p.m.
    - The Zags are receiving votes in the most recent USA TODAY Sports/WBCA Top 25 Coaches Poll.
    - The two teams have 19 all-time regular season meetings against each other. Gonzaga leads 17-2 overall as the Zags have posted two 100 point games against CWU with the series dating back to 1981.
    - The Zags have a history of cruising in their season-opening exhibitions. Gonzaga has an average margin of victory of 55 points in exhibition wins over the past three games.
    - In their last exhibition in 2019, the Bulldogs eased to a 105-45 exhibition win over Warner Pacific. The Zags were 50 percent from the field and outscored the Knights 54-20 in the paint. On the defensive side, GU forced 28 turnovers and finished with 18 steals. The Bulldogs more than doubled WPU's rebounds, finishing with a 51-23 advantage on the glass. Junior Jenn Wirth paced the Zags with a team-high 17 points on 5-of-8 shooting and a perfect 7-for-7 from the line. She added seven rebounds, two assists, two steals and two blocks. Senior Katie Campbell added 16 points, four assists and three steals, while Jill Townsend and LeeAnne Wirth rounded out the double-figure scoring with 13 and 12 points, respectively. Jessie Loera dished out a game-high six assists and finished with seven points and five steals.
    - In 2018-19, GU opened its season with an 86-43 victory over Carrol College (Mont.). The Zags were 55.7 percent from the floor, including 46.7 percent from beyond-the-arc, while limiting the Saints to 30.2 percent shooting. The Bulldogs also won the rebounding battle with a 38-29 edge on the glass.
    - Last season, the Zags advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the fourth-straight year under head coach Lisa Fortier.
    - Gonzaga returns two starters and seven letterwinners from last season's squad that claimed the Zags' fifth consecutive West Coast Conference regular season title.
    -The Zags won their ninth WCC Tournament Title in 2021 with a thrilling victory over BYU in the championship game.
    - GU went undefeated last year at home with a perfect 9-0 record. Overall, the Zags have been undefeated at home since Feb. 16, 2019, with a 37-1 overall record in the last three seasons.
    - The Bulldogs open the regular season at home on Thursday, Nov. 11 against Montana State. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m.

SCOUTING THE WILDCATS
    - Central Washington University only competed in two games last year against Western Washington University. The team was slated for eight games last season, but due to COVID protocols, only two games were played.
    - The 'Cats see the return of only four players from the 2019-2020 roster, the last to play a full schedule. Senior Kassidy Malcolm leads the way for the returning 'Cats alongside junior Samantha Bowman, sophomore Tori Maeda, and sophomore Jenna Troy.
    - In the spring of 2021 the 'Cats managed only two matches with GNAC rival Western Washington in which they dropped both games. Prior to the abbreviated COVID-19 spring season, the 'Cats finished 19-11 overall and fourth in the GNAC conference with a 13-7 conference record.
    - This season the 'Cats look to utilize last year's transfer Kizzah Maltezo, who joined the 'Cats staff after playing for Concordia (Portland) before the universities closure. The 'Cats also added recent transfer Nicole Ajayi, a sophomore from Labette Community College in Kansas who provides various new tools for the 'Cats offense.

ZAGS ENJOY FANFEST
    - The Gonzaga women's basketball team put on a show at the 2021 Numerica FanFest in the Kennel at the McCarthey Athletic Center on Saturday, Oct. 16.
    - Fans were treated to special player and coaching staff introductions, a skills contest and a three-point shootout before an intrasquad scrimmage.
    - In the skills contest, sophomore Yvonne Ejim beat sophomore McKayla Williams for the 2021 title, while freshman Bree Salenbien defeated junior Eliza Hollingsworth in the three-point contest finals.
    - The blue squad defeated the red team, 30-25, in the 16-minute team scrimmage. Redshirt senior Anamaria Virjoghe led the blue team with eight points and going 3-for-5 from the floor. Junior Kaylynne Truong scored 12 points for the red team, going 5-of-7 from the field.
    Link: https://gozags.com/news/2021/11/4/wo...-saturday.aspx

ZagDad
  • seacatfan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2014

That scout on CWU is just oddly worded, with some glaringly obvious grammatical and contextual errors. I don't see an author for the article, nobody wants to take credit for it. I can see why.

Comment

• ZagDad84
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2014

GAME DAY!!!!!

For those Lady Zag fans who cannot attend the game, it appears as if WCCSports is going to stream the game.

Link: https://wccsports.com/watch/?sid=471608

I think this is a direct link: https://wccsports.com/watch/?sid=471608

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

Halftime - Lady Zags up 45-10.

Gonzaga seems to only have one film crew/announcers or whatever as the volleyball team preempted the streaming broadcast of the Lady Zags. Got to watch the last couple of minutes of the 1st quarter (w/o sound) and sound finally made its way at the start of the 2nd quarter. I know we should be happy we get to stream an exhibition game, but really Gonzaga, can't broadcast 2 events at the same time and let the viewers decide which stream to watch?

Lady Zags played fairly well in the first half. The only real problems were the bigs (essentially all of them) getting into foul trouble (Ejim with 3, AV with 3, MK with 2, MH with 2 and EH with 2).

GU shooting 51.4% Overall, 37.5% from 3 and 75% from the free throw line (6-8). Zags dominating the boards 31 - 10, had 8 turnovers (11 tos for CWU), 10 assists and 3 blocks.

Everybody played except EL, CS and PM in the first half.

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2014

End of 3rd Quarter, Zags up 65-22. Had a couple of lapses on defense that gave CWU a couple of lay-ups.

The Lady Zag tradition of missing bunnies has been kept alive and well.

EL got in for a few minutes in the 3rd quarter. I still have not seen CS yet. My mistake, she comes in to start the 4th quarter.

ZagDad

Comment

• ZagDad84
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2014

Zags win 78-41. Zag defense lightened up in the 4th quarter and CWU started hitting some shots.

Zag outside game needs improvement but inside they looked pretty good, missed way to many bunnies and had way too many fouls called on them.

ZagDad

Comment

• upan8th
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Obviously presumptuous to make judgements after one scrimmage, but a preliminary impression is that this team will go as far as the Truong twins can take them. They seemed the only ones with the initiative on offense to extemporize, to: Make The Play. The rest seem content to be set pieces, going through their paces, setting the screens, running the plays, taking no chances and having no clue what to do as the shot-clock runs down and none of the sets have worked. I suppose some of the others will step up and learn how the game is played, but until then, stout defense is their only hope of winning vs capable opponents. The trap presses looked formidable.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2012

- my early impression is like the men's team, this team has a deep bench.
                - that is to say with many past teams it seemed to me that there was a noticeable drop off in talent from players off the bench. from what i saw today i didn't see much of a drop off in talent even with the third, fourth and fifth players off the bench.

- also it should be said, i'm no judge of talent, just a season ticket holder who enjoys the games.

Comment

• Cavebear33
                  Kennel Club
                  • Feb 2007

It was good to get back into McCarthey after all this time away. I've had season tickets to the women for 12 years, and for all those years I've been surrounded by the same people. They've become good friends over that time, and it was nice to see them again.

It was also good to see basketball in person once again. Central seemed to be in awe of the whole situation at the beginning, and the Zags ran off to a 24-0 lead to start the game. The Wildcats didn't score until the final minute of the first quarter, which ended with the Bulldogs on top 26-3. They took the second quarter 19-7, to go into the break with a 45-10 margin. The second half was played evenly with the final being 78-41. All fourteen players who saw action for Gonzaga scored, led by Kayleigh Truong with 14 points. It looks like she's going to be among our leaders this season on offense. Tori Maeola had 10 for Central. The Bulldogs won the boards 54-22, with Melody Kempton pulling down 9, and Anamaria Virjoghe 8.

I was wondering how many would attend the exhibition. It was sparse at FanFest, but better today, although the official attendance was listed at only 2,887. With Gonzaga not mailing out tickets any longer, and the majority of the women's season ticket holders being seniors, I'm thinking downloading tickets to your I-phone, or computer to be printed out, might affect the attendance to some degree. It's early yet, so that remains to be seen. The band, cheerleaders, and the dancers were all in mid season form. It was good to be back, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2014

O'k, a few comments from the peanut gallery.

First, I stayed home to keep my cold to myself and was rewarded by Gonzaga electing to show the 4th set of the Volleyball game on the WCC streaming channel in lieu of start of the Lady Zag Wbb game. Finally got the stream up and going with 2 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. Sound made it to the broadcast at the start of the 2nd quarter. So, my comments effectively cover the 2nd - 4th quarters only. Before examining the game, we have to remember a few things:

CWU was playing their second game while this was GU's first. A team is going to look disjointed, occasionally lost and sometimes in the wrong position at this time in the season, particularly when you are replacing three (3) starters.

CLF is a long way from establishing her rotations. We have three (3) new players in starting positions and it is going to take time for CLF to figure out the best rotations for the various needs at the time. Expect CLF to keep mixing up the rotations trying to find who works best with whom over the next several weeks. She needs to win these games but if we get a double digit lead, expect to see things mixed up for the next several games. In today's game, for a short time she had McKayla and Bree as the point guards with K-11, K-14 and CW on the bench. Obviously scoring went way down without an established point guard running the show. But both girls got the ball down the court without turning it over even if the offense was not too smooth. In a pinch, either player certainly could fill in at the #2 if necessary and not be too bad.

I was generally very happy with both Truongs today. Much less hesitation on taking open shots, both took it to the hoop on dribble penetration. YE had her moments but was handicapped by being in severe foul trouble much of the game which limited her time on court to 12 minutes. In her 12 minutes, Yvonne scored 7 points on 3-4 shooting, 1-2 free throws, 5 rebounds, 1 block and 1 steal. If YE can stay on the court, she will be able to take over a game from inside. EH also was whistled for 4 fouls, some of which I was not to sure about. On the TV several times it sounded like the ref blew the whistle before any contact ever occurred. Oh well, its WCC refs, you gets what you gets. EH did nothing to draw attention to herself, but she just appears open under the basket. 8 points on 3-3 shooting, 2-2 on free throws and 4 rebounds in 14 minutes. Solid production with her time on the floor. McKayla also showed us some signs of breaking out. She scored 8 points on 3-5 shooting, 2-2 on free throws, 4 rebounds, 1 block and 1 steal in her 15 minutes. Bree was not very "dynamic" in that there was no "wow" moments, but she demonstrated her range of abilities with 11 points on 3-7 shooting (1-2 from 3), 4-4 on free throws, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal in 16 minutes and she will only get better with more confidence. Melody had her typical very solid game with 9 points on 3-4 shooting (only 1-3 on free throws), 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block and 1 steal. I was not terribly impressed with Anna's offense, but she ended up with 5 points (1-3 shooting and 3-4 free throws) but she pulled down 8 rebounds with 1 block and 1 steal in 20 minutes. Not an offensive juggernaut, but she did clog up the middle and make things difficult for CWU in the key.

Three other players who stood out not for their stats but for their play. EL did very little on offense but she did get herself loose under the basket and made the bunny which numerous other Zags missed today. I thought she played outstanding defense. She is tall and long and playing the #2 or wing, she kept herself in front of the offensive player. We will see how she does against better competition, but at least today, her defense was superb in her 7 minutes. Callie did not get into the game until the 4th quarter and only played 5 minutes, but she was a factor on both ends of the court. She was like a persistent gnat (meant in the nicest way) that just would not go away. I would love to see what she would do with 10 or 15 minutes on the court. Since this was an exhibition game, Payton got into the game (probably for the last time this season) and while she looked like she was all elbows and knees, she is very fast and put CWU back on their heels. We will have something to look forward to next year.

Team wise the Lady Zags dominated on the boards 54 -22 with 22 O-boards. The ladies worked for 10 steals (only giving up 5 steals) and everybody (including Payton) played and scored. On the negative side of the ledger, team wise, 17 turnovers is too many especially against this level of competition. 3-point shooting was another sore point going only 4-13 (30.8%). We are going to need some outside shooting to loosen up the inside in future games. What is going on with all of the missed bunnies? 22 O-boards and 18 turnovers from CWU gave us 40 extra possessions and we still can't hit a 100 points? I think just about everybody on the team missed one or more lay-ups today. Got to do better Zags.

You probably noticed that I did not mention Cierra and Abbey. Well let's just say, a combined 6 points on 3-15 shooting (0-5 from 3) and no free throws taken, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals in 33 minutes is not what you expect from two of your senior starters. We must have more production from the #2 and wing positions in future games.

Not as dominating as in past exhibitions, but given the number of new starters and new players, not too bad for a start. Lots to work on for the next game.

Games now are going to count, so we must be serious from here on out.

Good game ladies, we will see you Thursday in the Kennel against the Bobcats from Montana State.

ZagDad
                    Last edited by ZagDad84; 11-06-2021, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• ZagDad84
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2014

Game Summaries:

From The Slipper Still Fits: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...xhibition-game

From GoZags: https://gozags.com/news/2021/11/6/wo...win-78-42.aspx

From Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-in-exhibitio/

Pictures from Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/galleries/...on-nov-6-2021/

Check out the picture of Bree standing next to CWU guard Huerta. This should bring a smile to everyone.

ZagDad

Comment

• bigblahla
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Listened.... pointless for me to comment without seeing this TEAM... Thursday sounds like a good game to attend... Dogs whupping Cats... like it...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
                        "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• caduceus
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

A beatdown. Hoping for many more.

Comment

• caduceus
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Winners

Comment

• SkipZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2015

Saw this also….

Lots of Vets in the stands…hope they continue to support the team. Some pretty strong feelings….maybe the coaches need to invite some Vets in to talk to the players and tell their stories of protecting our Country on Veterans Day…
                              Sadly, our kids may not be being taught US history and the meaning of our Flag….
                              All our foreign students have taken a knee. Sad

Go Zags!!

Comment

Working...
                              X