Thread: Who you Got in your Lady Zag Starting Line-up

Default Who you Got in your Lady Zag Starting Line-up

Well Lady Zag fans, our exhibition game is on for this Saturday.

Who is going to walk out as the starting five for the Lady Zags on Saturday.

From the Spokesman Review:

Gonzaga women still arranging the pieces ahead of exhibition game against CWU
    By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

With only three days left until their first game, the Gonzaga women still haven’t figured out a starting lineup.

That’s not as bad as it sounds – partly because the opponent in Saturday’s exhibition is Central Washington, a Division II program that played only two games last year because of COVID-19.

Besides, the Zags had to start someone in a recent closed-door scrimmage at UCLA, and there are plenty of candidates.

But more than anything, coach Lisa Fortier and her staff are enjoying the process of “figuring out what to do with this group of people and help them be the most successful they can be.”

In other words, this is less about picking up the pieces than rearranging them.

“Graduation is always tough,” Fortier said before practice Wednesday afternoon at the Kennel. “It’s been an interesting year so far.”

Fortier said she’s still looking for more separation among the players who are in the mix for playing time, which includes the entire lineup apart from freshman Payton Muma (redshirting this year) and redshirt sophomore Kylee Griffen (who is getting a medical retirement).

Looking back on the scrimmage at UCLA, Fortier praised the squad’s halfcourt defense but wants to see better transition on defense and communication on offense.

“When things got hard down there, we didn’t necessarily know where the ball was going,” Fortier said. “It will take a little time to get to know where to direct the pass.”

Pressed on who might be starting, Fortier said it would probably be players “who have been with the program.”

Based on that, expect to see Kayleigh Truong and Cierra Walker at guard, Abby O’Connor at the wing and Melody Kempton and Yvonne Ejim at forward.

Because Central Washington isn’t UCLA, expect everyone else to play early and often.
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ces-ahead-of-/

So what say you lady zag fans, did the Spokesman-Review get it right? What changes would you make in the starting 5?

ZagDad

Only difference in the starting lineup I might see is AV starting instead of YE. Both deserve to start but I think Seniors are Seniors and I agree with CLF when it comes to that.

I think the bigger question might be the rotation…. How many and who. With BS joining the 1/2 positions, and PM red shirting, with a number of wings and three competent posts on the bench, well…. It’s going to be fun to see who steps forward. Lots of talent… not a lot of D-1 time.

Go Zags!!

Would like to see Ana Maria get major minutes (25-30) vs CWSU to see whether she's now capable of clogging the middle on D, initiating the break with quick outlet passes after rebounds, and consistently scoring two feet from the hoop. After her long, and oftentimes tortuous progression through the years, if she's progressed enough to contribute with all of the aforementioned, after my long history of dismissing her, I'd be so proud to say Go AV! and way more bullish on this year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Only difference in the starting lineup I might see is AV starting instead of YE. Both deserve to start but I think Seniors are Seniors and I agree with CLF when it comes to that.

I think the bigger question might be the rotation…. How many and who. With BS joining the 1/2 positions, and PM red shirting, with a number of wings and three competent posts on the bench, well…. It’s going to be fun to see who steps forward. Lots of talent… not a lot of D-1 time.

Go Zags!!
    I'm not stuck on if your a senior you start, and I think that Jim Allen probably has it right who "should" start but like you I think CLF will start Anna instead of Yvonne. If Anna was ever going to have a big game this year, it should on Saturday where she should dominate. If she does not have a "big" game on Saturday, I think I would start YE on the first real OOC game. As far as Anna is concerned, it is now or never, her time is now.

Reading the tea leaves of CLF's comments, it looks like we did a good job on half-court defense, but had a hard time going from our half-court offense to transition defense. The other isssue appears to have been a bit of a stagnant offense (where have we seen that before). We absolutely need to have somebody (guard, wing forward) who will take the ball to the hoop and get the defense to move. Simply passing the ball around the perimeter won't do it. Jill and Jenn forced the hands of the defense last year. Will K-11 be a little more aggressive. YE definitely had a take it to the hoop mentality this summer in Europe. I am not sold that Abbey is the solution at the #3, but she obviously knows how to score and rebound, could she be the one to crash the boards. We have not seen her do it, but CW is one muscular lady. She is built for taking it to the hoop. Will she, or will she stay at the perimeter?

I really don't see BS at the #1 (even if she has the skills). I would prefer to have her at the #2 or #3 where she could use her entire arsenal without having to waste energy running the offense, but who knows.

Not much time to prep for Stanford. Saturday and 3 Big Sky games. The practice against UCLA game the girls some experience against a highly talented team, but they need to get the team running on all cylinders in the over the next couple of weeks.

2 Days until game day, ladies.

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 11-04-2021 at 11:35 PM.

I agree with Jim Allen's starters. I'll hedge my bet by saying the Anna vs. Yvonne is probably a toss up. While Anna is a senior, I liked what Yvonne brought in games towards the end of last year. I've heard, however, that Anna has made some real strides over the summer.

Over the years we have seen the rotation players come off the bench to change the pace and add dimension to the game…
    I can see that with YE and K-14. The level of play doesn’t change… but the dynamics do.
    Starting as a senior is a reward for the hard work and team support. The maturity of a senior and the understanding that it is their last year adds to the leadership.

Sadly we won’t make the game on Saturday…. Will be out in Cheney cheering on the Eags!

Have fun and let us know what you thing of this years team….

Go Zags!!