Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga vs Eastern Oregon: Your thought and analysis if you like, of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    Gonzaga was 7-for-24 (29%) and Watson was 0-1. Gregg was 1-3. "Very accurate"?
    Watson only missed one. That’s pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Not on a percentage basis.....Just kidding....I thought it was a good shot and was pleased to see him not hesitate...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    4 guard rotation was 0-10
    Last edited by ZAG 4 LIFE; 11-03-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    1) it was a pathetic response by the University who at least I expect more of.
    2) If you are going to complain about the exhibition games, we typically only play 1. Pointing out that we wouldnt be playing anymore if it wasnt for Coach's DUI and the university wanting to allow him to coach vs Texas. Doesn't take a genius to realize that.
    I can appreciate your disappointment BUT PLEASE, let's move on and enjoy this season!

Have a GREAT Hump Day! Only two days until the next exhibition, which I hope SWX will once again allow us "out-of-area" fans to watch the game.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Whatever EOU earned to show up for this game wasn't worth it. Just after losing the life of a 21 year-old father of a toddler in an EOU football game, they lost the heart of their team to injury for who knows how long. They suffered humiliation on the scoreboard and on the court. Why? To show Zag fans that Graves & Lang would be all stars in EOU's conference? Let's say, and it's easily imagined, that during the debacle, Holmgren came down with a rebound and landed (on one of any five smaller EUO players' feet), suffered a high ankle sprain, and was sidelined til January, or the rest of the season. Bet everyone's singing a different tune about this "game" then. Called the blues.
    These are all excellent points, so I would like to expand on them. I will admit, I know very little about NAIA colleges, having grown up in a Pac-12 area. Do NAIA schools even offer basketball scholarships? I'm thinking no. And there is the TV money (or lack of it, actually).

So whatever money that GU sent EOU's way is obviously worth it to them, and will fund their athletic program for a good while. It's very unfortunate that two of their better players suffered serious injuries, but no one could have predicted that. Hoping for an injury-free game on Friday, as it's another NAIA team we are playing.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Last I checked, we don't make any money with a secret scrimmage. With as many new faces as we have, an extra exhibition game might be more beneficial than a secret scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Last I checked, we don't make any money with a secret scrimmage. With as many new faces as we have, an extra exhibition game might be more beneficial than a secret scrimmage.
    Pre-Covid numbers show GU's athletic program ranked #13 (of 324 institutions) in profitability with an annual surplus of approximately $5.6 million. Virtually all of it stems from the men's basketball program, though the women's team makes a nominal profit as well. The "exhibition" games, and some early season "bought" games (Alcorn St, Merrimack, Bellarmine, etc.) are ostensibly scheduled to help fund athletics at these under-funded small-conference schools. Often, someone on the GU staff has a connection with staff at these opponents. I'm all in on the charitable aspect.

But expecting these competitions to improve the quality of GU's individual & team performance is a fantasy. The easy scoring, the meaningless steals & blocks vs overmatched opponents actually are a breeding tube for bad habits & lackadaisical effort. There's no performance measurement, no consequences for mistakes. So, if they have to, why not play Eastern, or Central Washington, Whitworth or St Martins in these mismatches & at least keep the charity local.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Do NAIA schools even offer basketball scholarships? I'm thinking no. And there is the TV money (or lack of it, actually).

So whatever money that GU sent EOU's way is obviously worth it to them, and will fund their athletic program for a good while. It's very unfortunate that two of their better players suffered serious injuries, but no one could have predicted that. Hoping for an injury-free game on Friday, as it's another NAIA team we are playing.
    NAIA schools can (and do) offer scholarships. Back in the day (not sure about currently), they called them talent awards and it was based on your achievements in HS (with a fair bit of encouragement from the college's coach) and could range from some nominal amount to the equivalent of a full ride. The big difference between an NCAA year-to-year scholarship and an NAIA talent award being that most (maybe all) NAIA schools honored the talent award for however long you went to school there regardless of whether you played the sport (or instrument or whatever) that motivated them to give you the talent award to begin with. The focus appeared to be a lot more about getting someone an education than it was a contract for labor like the NCAA model.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Pre-Covid numbers show GU's athletic program ranked #13 (of 324 institutions) in profitability with an annual surplus of approximately $5.6 million. Virtually all of it stems from the men's basketball program, though the women's team makes a nominal profit as well. The "exhibition" games, and some early season "bought" games (Alcorn St, Merrimack, Bellarmine, etc.) are ostensibly scheduled to help fund athletics at these under-funded small-conference schools. Often, someone on the GU staff has a connection with staff at these opponents. I'm all in on the charitable aspect.

But expecting these competitions to improve the quality of GU's individual & team performance is a fantasy. The easy scoring, the meaningless steals & blocks vs overmatched opponents actually are a breeding tube for bad habits & lackadaisical effort. There's no performance measurement, no consequences for mistakes. So, if they have to, why not play Eastern, or Central Washington, Whitworth or St Martins in these mismatches & at least keep the charity local.
    That’s a concept that seems beyond the ken of the GU admin.

I wish there was a way to watch this game.
    I was only able to find a 19 min highlight reel.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That’s a concept that seems beyond the ken of the GU admin.
    I am under the impression that every top 50 program plays a number of these games.....so I would assume the coaches think these games improve the quality of individual and team performance.....If it were up to me, I would play the local teams for a whole lot of reasons.... at least these teams are in the Northwest.....