Gonzaga vs Eastern Oregon: Your thought and analysis if you like, of the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Eastern Oregon: Your thought and analysis if you like, of the game.

I know its only an exhibition game, but all games are fun to talk about. Here is my take,

As usual I saw another GREAT passing team, always looking to hit the open man. I don't think I've ever seen so many layups in a game.

I haven't seen the stats but I think the outside shooting was good. Strawther was very accurate, and so was Holmgren, Greg and even Watson. Our bigs can shoot the three. Coming into the season I wondered how good this team could shoot from the outside. So far it's impressive.

This TEAM is so good that the first team All-American (Timme) didn't have to do much to win by 60.

Perry is definitely a stud.

Holmgren is everything I had hoped he would be. I really really like how he plays the game. He does it all. A totally complete player.

This team likes to dunk.

I thought Watson played well.

That's enough from me for now. I'll let you all chime in. Let's have some discussion about the game. We have 4 days before the next one.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • gueastcoast
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
    I know its only an exhibition game, but all games are fun to talk about. Here is my take,

As usual I saw another GREAT passing team, always looking to hit the open man. I don't think I've ever seen so many layups in a game.

I haven't seen the stats but I think the outside shooting was good. Strawther was very accurate, and so was Holmgren, Greg and even Watson. Our bigs can shoot the three. Coming into the season I wondered how good this team could shoot from the outside. So far it's impressive.

This TEAM is so good that the first team All-American (Timme) didn't have to do much to win by 60.

Perry is definitely a stud.

Holmgren is everything I had hoped he would be. I really really like how he plays the game. He does it all. A totally complete player.

This team likes to dunk.

I thought Watson played well.

That's enough from me for now. I'll let you all chime in. Let's have some discussion about the game. We have 4 days before the next one.

Go Zags!!!
    Great summary Reborn, I watched all but the last five mins. of the game and had a similar impression.

On your point about what a great passing team this is, I noted in the game thread that Timme really seems to be adapting to a very different front court look this season where he doesn't have to do it all. He came out "pass first", and then settled in. The unselfishness and high-level passing of our teams year in and year out is something we should never take for granted.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• daskim
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2020

Agreed with everything Reborn mentioned.

It was especially cool to see Joe Few enter the game for the last couple of minutes. Years ago, I was getting a haircut near where Mark and Marci Few live, and in walked Mark Few and a very young Joe Few.

To seeing Joe playing for his dad's number ranked team was special.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Thanks, Reborn! I've got to rewatch the game and look out for your guys.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
          Banned
          • Jan 2019

My first thought was how easy it was to stream the game. No worries, no buffering, but SWX's graphics leave a lot to be desired (and there was no shot clock displayed). It's a bush league sub-channel; we should be better than this.

As to the game itself, sure was nice to see our boys again. Chet is amazing; didn't realize he had that kind of speed to run up and down the court as fast as he did. I'm old enough to remember Mr. Alcindor at UCLA, and I don't think he was quite as fast (but just as tall).

Comment

• tinfoilzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2009

Watching Chet breaks your brain a little. Bringing the ball up court, going behind his back in both directions through traffic was hard to process. It's pretty incredible. Timme going coast to coast at guard speed was also great. I think those two should be called the tequila brothers with all the headaches they will cause opposing coaches this year.

Bolton is as fast as advertised and showed restraint in hunting shots. He had clear opportunities and was looking to pass. He's showing good character so far.

I love how quick and long our guards are on defense. There are going to be many steals and blocks on the perimeter this year.

Even though most weren't dropping, 3's were shot with confidence which will be important. We'll have the rebounding to make it worth while.

We have some horses in Watson, Perry, and Gregg. Less pressure on Chet and Timme for foul trouble and should always be fresh. Watson looked comfortable out there.

We are young. I hope everyone likes turnovers because they are coming. Few will have to find the right amount of leash to give these guys early. They need room to grow but there are just more freshman this year than just Suggs (who was very poised for a freshman).

Can't wait for Texas.
            The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

I know I'm in the minority....scrimmages against these smaller weaker teams should be avoided. Is the money really worth it for these teams when how many players from Eastern Oregon were injured in the first half? 3?

Bigger stronger faster players can create dangerous play against weaker competition IMHO.

GO ZAGS!

Comment

• titopoet
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                I know I'm in the minority....scrimmages against these smaller weaker teams should be avoided. Is the money really worth it for these teams when how many players from Eastern Oregon were injured in the first half? 3?

Bigger stronger faster players can create dangerous play against weaker competition IMHO.

GO ZAGS!
                The biggest problem for Eastern Oregon and their injuries was that they played their third game in three days and 4th game for the week. They were on tired team and that is what caused the injuries.
                ----
                Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• jsnider
                  Kennel Club
                  • Apr 2020

This team has loads of talent. Some thoughts on yesterday's game and some predictions. The offense seemed a bit disjointed at times and we were able to have our way with Eastern Oregon because of our overwhelming talent, our size versus theirs, and their best player got hurt early on. You can see the talent on this team but it is going to take awhile for them to learn how to play together. Against a bigger more talented D-1 team - it would have been more difficult. my biggest concern is the 3 point shooting by the guards. They will score tons down low in the post with their size and passing ability. But a good team that plays a zone defense could exploit their lack of scoring from beyond the arc. Bolton, Nembhard and the two freshman guards do not seem to be very good from deep. I rank their shooting from deep - Strawther then Chet then Gregg but nobody hits more than 38% from deep. Kaden Perry will be as good as Brandon Clarke starting next year. I think this team will lose a couple games early in the non-conference since they will still be learning how to play together but this team will get better and better as the year goes on and will go to the final 4.
                  Love the Zags!!!

Comment

• upan8th
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

GO ZAGS!
                    Whatever EOU earned to show up for this game wasn't worth it. Just after losing the life of a 21 year-old father of a toddler in an EOU football game, they lost the heart of their team to injury for who knows how long. They suffered humiliation on the scoreboard and on the court. Why? To show Zag fans that Graves & Lang would be all stars in EOU's conference? Let's say, and it's easily imagined, that during the debacle, Holmgren came down with a rebound and landed (on one of any five smaller EUO players' feet), suffered a high ankle sprain, and was sidelined til January, or the rest of the season. Bet everyone's singing a different tune about this "game" then. Called the blues.

Anyone, everyone, all of us, could accept something like that happening in practice, in a real game, even in a secret scrimmage against a worthy opponent. But this was nothing more than a money-grubbing, public exercise of preening hubris, to the betterment of no one. Karma was at the game, watching, wincing, making plans.

Comment

• Fonebone
                      Kennel Club
                      • Feb 2007

On one play were Timme went the length of the court with the ball it seem to me that he was moving a lot faster than I’ve ever seen him when did that last year. He truly look like a guard almost he was going so quickly. Did anyone else notice that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2009

GO ZAGS!
                        In past years, the Zags have played closed-door scrimmages against top-tier Division I teams, such as Michigan State or Texas. I suspect that those scrimmages are far more valuable than this was.
                        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Bogozags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                          In past years, the Zags have played closed-door scrimmages against top-tier Division I teams, such as Michigan State or Texas. I suspect that those scrimmages are far more valuable than this was.
                          I have to agree scrimmages in the past were a much better indicator of where the team is as the season commences...this was competition and did give the offence, defence and 3/4 trap an opportunity to work out some kinks but I did see so many layups by EOU...the defence will have to tighten up, especially in our 2nd game against UT, which is also loaded with excellent players...

IF Strawther can score against UT like he did against EOU, then there is hope as he replaces CK who could score a bucket when we needed...

Out 3pt shooting is suspect at this point and hopefully our next two outings prove we are much better than indicated Sunday...

There is just so much talent on this team and minutes are going to be tough to earn...Perry & Gregg are going to be very good players and by mid-season, contributors on both ends of the court...

Looking forward to this season...

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Nothing has been said about Hunter Sallis, and I feel he played a really good game. He was one of our prize recruits, and he showed it in this scrimmage. He was up and down the court like a Jackrabbit, and slashing inside for layups and dunks. He was someone I noticed from time to time whom I felt has a lot to offer the Zags.

Go Zags!!!
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• HenneZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Aug 2012

Reborn Sallis looked great in the tune up game I agree. He was decisive, looked fluid and was scrappy. We looked jumbled at times as expected but we will have a real test soon playing athletic and physical teams. I do think Strawther will plug into Kispert type roll nicely but will have some bumps along the way. By mid season this team will be clicking.
                              America's Team!

Comment

Working...
                              X