Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 66

Thread: DZ's Annual One BOLD Prediction Thread

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,086

    Default

    Request:

    Because I don't follow the WCC as a whole as much, can someone give us a bold prediction as to which team might surprise, either way, good or bad?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mom’s Basement
    Posts
    8,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Request:

    Because I don't follow the WCC as a whole as much, can someone give us a bold prediction as to which team might surprise, either way, good or bad?
    The WCC is stronger than it has ever been. The KenPom preseason rankings have Gonzaga at No. 1, San Francisco at 34, BYU at 38, St. Mary’s at 42, and LMU at 69. Don’t be surprised if any one of those teams picks off a few BCS foes in the non-conference schedule. Don’t be surprised if 2-3 of them win games in the Big Dance.


    https://kenpom.com/
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    The WCC is stronger than it has ever been. The KenPom preseason rankings have Gonzaga at No. 1, San Francisco at 34, BYU at 38, St. Mary’s at 42, and LMU at 69. Don’t be surprised if any one of those teams picks off a few BCS foes in the non-conference schedule. Don’t be surprised if 2-3 of them win games in the Big Dance.


    https://kenpom.com/
    I had no idea that the conference is that strong this year. Predicted, at least. Anyone predicting 3 conf teams get to Sat/Sun, (and I realize you didn't predict it, just noted) gets a full on BOLD and hopeful one this year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    14,074

    Default

    I boldly predict that Few will NOT shorten his bench down to his standard 7 or so. I predict he goes 9 deep. Just way too much talent on that bench
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I boldly predict that Few will NOT shorten his bench down to his standard 7 or so. I predict he goes 9 deep. Just way too much talent on that bench
    I don't know a lot about this team but it is pretty bold to say hat in the last 5 minutes of an NCAA game, Few might literally go with the hot hand, 1-9, whoever has been making plays that game.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    17,091

    Default

    This will be Roger Powell’s last season on the Zag sidelines as he moves on to take a hand at head coaching.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Gonzaga will not only run the table and win the title without a loss; Gonzaga will also not lose a single game by single digits, and will set the bar anew as the most efficient team in history per Kenpom—scoring top billing as the number 1 offense and defense and annihilating the record with an adjusted efficiency margin above 40.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    10,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Gonzaga will not only run the table and win the title without a loss; Gonzaga will also not lose a single game by single digits, and will set the bar anew as the most efficient team in history per Kenpom—scoring top billing as the number 1 offense and defense and annihilating the record with an adjusted efficiency margin above 40.
    Thought the title of this thread was "BOLD" not "CRAZY AF"?
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

    Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

    No Foo for You!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mom’s Basement
    Posts
    8,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I had no idea that the conference is that strong this year. Predicted, at least. Anyone predicting 3 conf teams get to Sat/Sun, (and I realize you didn't predict it, just noted) gets a full on BOLD and hopeful one this year.
    It would not surprise me at all to see three WCC teams in the Round of 32. BYU, USF, and St. Mary’s are all teams that could earn seeds in the 5-12 range where upsets are common. On the other hand, it wouldn’t surprise me to see BYU earn a 5 seed and then drop their first game to a team from the OVC.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,343

    Default

    Having only seen one of our opponents play, I predict we finish 8-2 after our first 10 games, finish conference play at 13-1, win the WCC Tournament and earn a #1 seed for the Dance BUT not in the west...

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This is the TENTH Annual DZ's One BOLD Prediction Thread. Nice job keeping the tradition alive, DZ

    My one BOLD prediction: Holmgren won't be a one and done.
    Hi Reno,
    I have always enjoyed your bright and optimistic point of view. If you are right it will make me want to buy a round of beers for every regular on this Board. Are you thinking of this possibility because it is less risky for a thin player to fill out in college than to risk it in the NBA?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Hi Reno,
    I have always enjoyed your bright and optimistic point of view. If you are right it will make me want to buy a round of beers for every regular on this Board. Are you thinking of this possibility because it is less risky for a thin player to fill out in college than to risk it in the NBA?
    That is an interesting question. If anyone just "looks" at what grown men, 6'9, 30 years old, and in peak physical condition look like, it's pretty easy seeing how someone with a very slight build would want to put a few pounds on before getting between the rim and Lebron.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    49,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Hi Reno,
    I have always enjoyed your bright and optimistic point of view. If you are right it will make me want to buy a round of beers for every regular on this Board. Are you thinking of this possibility because it is less risky for a thin player to fill out in college than to risk it in the NBA?
    ZGZ: He may very well be "The Unicorn" everyone says he is. He reminds me physically of a certain freshman who played for Texas who had pipe cleaner legs, pointy elbows. . .kid named Kevin Durant. . .I'm hoping the NIL income will forestall his graduation to the NBA and give him another year to be a college kid. . .

    BTW: The Athletic's Dana O'Neil has an in depth look at Chet & his family posted this morning:

    https://theathletic.com/2922184/2021...ampaign=601983

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Off topic but man this is BOLD!...

    50 loses 15 pounds...


    Go!! Zags!!!

    Been workin' on it, blah.

    Check your PM.
    But we don't play nobody.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    My predictions tend to be kind of wacky rather than bold. This year, I'm going to keep it more real. I predict that Hunter Sallis will be a starter by the end of the year. Bold because Few likes his upperclassmen.

  16. #41

    Default

    Last years team averaged 2.275 points/minute. 91 a game. This year's team will average 2.375 points/minute. 95 a game.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Last years team averaged 2.275 points/minute. 91 a game. This year's team will average 2.375 points/minute. 95 a game.
    Wow, that is BOLD. I hope you're right. That's astounding offensive production, but very much not unreachable. The exhibitions have been fun to watch.

    Go ZAGS!

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Wow, that is BOLD. I hope you're right. That's astounding offensive production, but very much not unreachable. The exhibitions have been fun to watch.

    Go ZAGS!
    Not as bold as you think in my opinion. If last years team would have played the 4 ooc games and 3 conference games that were canceled they would have easily surpassed the 95 ppg.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,474

    Default BOLD prediction

    Sorry for the slight deviation, but I wanted to put this entire thread in perspective (i.e. "what" is BOLD?). Particularly in light of the shifting paradigm that IS Gonzaga Basketball (and Gonzaga University). 20 years ago last month, The Pontiff and I had breakfast with Mark Few ... and it was memorable as Fewie opened up and was quite candid. I've used a few quotes from that breakfast over the years (and btw the breakfast was after GU's back to back to back Sweet 16's or beyond '99-01).

    "I'm not an expert on Fairy Tales, but it seems to me that Cinderalla only went to one dance."
    "It's kind of a misnomer about us. It's almost funny. They assume we are not very athletic. It's a big mistake."
    "I don't think people, both in the media and my profession, understand just how good a thing we have up here right now."
    It was also at this breakfast when Fewie recalled his first day(s) at Gonzaga, when he first arrived at GU as a $1,500 a year Grad Assistant and was living on Billy Grier's couch. He said he was pulled aside by the Campus Elders and told "You will never win this league, and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here.". So those were his Marching Orders. "Don't finish last". The three Assistants (Munse, Billy and Fewie) sought to change the paradigm, and change it they did. They ALL had a role, as did others .... i.e. Mike Roth, Father Spitzer, Matt Santangelo, Adam Morrison et al).

    And now we have DZ with his iconic "10th Annual BOLD Prediction" thread.

    There was a time when me predicting a season long "double/double" from big man Reed Schifferman (Gonzaga's all-time greatest dunker) would have been BOLD.

    My '21/'22 BOLD prediction (which really isn't THAT BOLD) is this ... Gonzaga will be the first school since the '75/'76 Indiana Hoosiers to go unbeaten and win the National Championship. Yeah ... really bold, given that just last season the Zags were 1 game away from accomplishing that historic feat.

    And thanks DZ ... for this thread. Go Zags !!! GoZags

    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

    Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Bold prediction? We end the season ranked higher in KenPom defensive efficiency than offensive efficiency.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    124

    Default

    My bold prediction is this years team lowers Few’s winning percentage. Too many good teams early on and I think this is a team that will peak late. Also, with so much youth I see losing a couple in conference. BUT I think this team has as good a chance as any we’ve had to win their first national championship.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,306

    Default

    They would need to lose 6-7 games, ZANY. Possible, but I don't think so.
    But we don't play nobody.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Probably not, you’re right sittington50, but it is meant to be a bold prediction. And mine is a less bold prediction than the undefeated season bold predictions. Don’t you think?

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    Probably not, you’re right sittington50, but it is meant to be a bold prediction. And mine is a less bold prediction than the undefeated season bold predictions. Don’t you think?

    I have no idea. Pretty tough gauntlet, non-league.
    But we don't play nobody.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sandy Eggo CA
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Don't kill the messenger. Lots of folks here treading water in a deep sea of hubris. Bad karma. Two Zags will be lost for the season to injuries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •