Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: DZ's Annual One BOLD Prediction Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,088

    Default DZ's 10th Annual One BOLD Prediction Thread

    Because reasons, the annual One BOLD Prediction thread is a little late this year, thankfully not too late.

    You know the drill by now, HOWEVER - we are now forced, forced by success, to add two new rules:

    1. An undefeated Season is no longer considered thatBOLD, admittedly, this schedule is tougher than any. Still.
    2. It is not BOLD to predict a NC for the team that enters the year as the top-ranked team in the country.

    As a mere suggestion, one might focus on BOLD predictions concerning individual players, or even losses. It is also perfectly acceptable to make BOLD predictions about other top-ranked teams or teams in conference.

    Go BOLD

    My BOLD prediction: Coach Few is on a mission after last year's blowout loss. He will get over two technical fouls called on him personally this year.
    Last edited by DZ; 10-30-2021 at 06:53 AM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,918

    Default

    Hickman will work his way into starter and be a star in March.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,475

    Default

    My shoulder is still slowly recovering, thank you .... having been severely injured patting myself on the back ... after last year's BOLD prediction of Corey Kispert making the "Bill Walton" double/double club ... 1st Team (AP) All American and 1st Team (1st overall) Academic All American in the same year. So I need just a l'il more time before making this year's "pick". GoZags

    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

    Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    3,022

    Smile The Best Annual Preseason Thread

    Was looking everywhere for this thread. Thought I'd missed it.

    (1) Okay, not so bold -- Zags will win at least 30 games again this season (including six Big Dance games).

    (2) Gigantically bold -- This is Tom Izzo's last year as Michigan State's head coach. Yes, Sparty's legendary coach is in decline, the 2021-'22 season is "it" for the Izzone. His crabby ill-tempered reason, "I'm sick of all the poop college basketball has become, so I'm getting the poop out while I still can poop" (or something like that).




    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    49,010

    Default

    This is the TENTH Annual DZ's One BOLD Prediction Thread. Nice job keeping the tradition alive, DZ

    My one BOLD prediction: Holmgren won't be a one and done.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This is the TENTH Annual DZ's One BOLD Prediction Thread. Nice job keeping the tradition alive, DZ

    My one BOLD prediction: Holmgren won't be a one and done.
    Reno for threeeeee !!! Nothing but twine (hopefully).

    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

    Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,271

    Default

    I'm most appreciative of DZ's intelligent annual contributions!

    I never do astrology/uninformed/praying/wishing predictions, including the score prediction threads (check it!). But I BOLDLY predict that I'll be watching less than half the Zag games at my own convenience this season.

    Not as bold as some, but it's an issue. I could DVR the Alaska Shootout many, many years ago with Dickau killing it (and my Dad paging me, about to bowl over while I'm trapped at work in my clinic), but today, all the broadcasters say, "Pay me exorbitant dollars or eat this sh!t sandwich! I even have a device that will record anything streamable. Doesn't work no matter what if you don't have a feed.

    I'll let you know how I'm progressing.

    Grrrrrrr.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mom’s Basement
    Posts
    8,195

    Default

    Two bold predictions:

    1. Julian Strawther wins WCC Player of the Year.

    2. The Big East offers Gonzaga a spot in their conference for the 2024-2025 season.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    My shoulder is still slowly recovering, thank you .... having been severely injured patting myself on the back ... after last year's BOLD prediction of Corey Kispert making the "Bill Walton" double/double club ... 1st Team (AP) All American and 1st Team (1st overall) Academic All American in the same year. So I need just a l'il more time before making this year's "pick". GoZags
    That is very very well done.

    Please, fellow Zags, brag about past successes.

    I will brag about the utter failure of my first BOLD prediction: We started this during Gary Bell Jr.'s sophomore year. I predicted he'd lead the team in scoring. That was the year he couldn't hit the ground with a shot.

    But bragging about success is expected.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,600

    Default

    Off topic but man this is BOLD!...

    50 loses 15 pounds...

    Oh and Watson proves he belongs in a big way...

    Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,847

    Default

    Two Bold predictions;
    - Zags will play Duke twice this season losing first game in Vegas and winning the rematch in New Orleans
    - Andrew Nembhard will be named 1st team AA
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Not so bold: Watson narrowly edges Holmgren for WCC defensive poy

    Bold: We lose 2 games in the regular season and then cut the nets on an early April Monday night.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    - first BOLD prediction, few makes full use of his talent and we have 9 players averaging 10 or more minutes playing time a game.
    - second BOLD prediction, razir bolton becomes a vocal, helpful and respected leader of the team

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Zags LOSE one of the OOC games to a good opponent and could have a second loss to a WCC foe that doesn’t belong on the same floor with them. Both would benefit their national championship ambitions.

    Go Zags!I

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Zags do not get a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, but still win it all.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - first BOLD prediction, few makes full use of his talent and we have 9 players averaging 10 or more minutes playing time a game.
    - second BOLD prediction, razir bolton becomes a vocal, helpful and respected leader of the team
    That first one, 9 players in a rotation with more than 10 minutes, might be the boldest prediction ever.

    I really hope to see it happen.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Hickman will work his way into starter and be a star in March.
    this

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    54

    Default

    If there ever was a squad as deep as this, Few has to go with 9 rotation. I am extremely high on Strawther, he will have an amazing season, barring injury. One loss in out of conference, unbeaten in conference.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,789

    Default

    People wondered what we'd do without Ayayi.....Bolton makes us forget what Ayayi did....Bolton does it better.

    People wondered what we'd do without Suggs....Holmgren makes us forget all he did. #1 is better than #5....

    People wondered what we'd do without Kispert....Strawthere helps us forget all Kispert did.

    So here is my bold prediction.....GU will go undefeated, and this is damn bold because it's been many many years since any college team has done it....but it's really time to get bold and don't tell me that being undefeated is a not a bold prediction....

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    I've been waiting for a while to post mine, because I couldn't decide. But I'm going to say that this year's team sets a school record for margin of victory. And might just be in the conversation of all time ncaa men's basketball margin of victory

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I've been waiting for a while to post mine, because I couldn't decide. But I'm going to say that this year's team sets a school record for margin of victory. And might just be in the conversation of all time ncaa men's basketball margin of victory
    - i like this one, unique and very bold when talking about all time college best mark.
    - last year was 21.3. i can see maybe 26 or 27 this year. i think we have more scorers from all points on the floor and a better bench for the last 4 minutes of each game.
    - wonder what the all time record is, 30 or more?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i like this one, unique and very bold when talking about all time college best mark.
    - last year was 21.3. i can see maybe 26 or 27 this year. i think we have more scorers from all points on the floor and a better bench for the last 4 minutes of each game.
    - wonder what the all time record is, 30 or more?
    The reason why I think that there's a chance of such a high margin of victory is the potential on defense. Rim protection, in particular, has me excited about this season. This, along with depth, means that the guards can gamble more on defense. Not to mention that I don't think that scoring is going to be a problem for this group

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,862

    Default

    I predict that it will be obvious to nearly all veterans of this board that this year's bench is the deepest 6th-10th players to ever wear zag uniforms.

  24. #24

    Default

    The Dream:
    My one Bold prediction, Jazz goes all season without crapping on someone.

    The Reality:
    I don't believe my own Bold prediction for a moment.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    People wondered what we'd do without Ayayi.....Bolton makes us forget what Ayayi did....Bolton does it better.

    People wondered what we'd do without Suggs....Holmgren makes us forget all he did. #1 is better than #5....

    People wondered what we'd do without Kispert....Strawthere helps us forget all Kispert did.

    So here is my bold prediction.....GU will go undefeated, and this is damn bold because it's been many many years since any college team has done it....but it's really time to get bold and don't tell me that being undefeated is a not a bold prediction....

    Go Zags!!!
    Very bold indeed, Reborn! I’d agree with you any other year but the instant transfer rule + super seniors / extra eligibilty due to Covid means there are a lot more veteran teams who were able to add instantly eligible transfer(s) to address team weaknesses. Too mant really good teams in D1 this year for anyone to even flirt w going undefeated imo.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •