Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade with Virginia?

Default Would you trade with Virginia?

Would you trade our tournament record since 1999 with Virginia's? Would it be worth it for a title? Keep in mind you also get to have a 1v16 loss to UMBC, a 1v10 loss to Syracuse, a 4v13 loss to Ohio, and a 5v12 loss to....Gonzaga? Maybe that would be a loss to Virginia instead. At any rate, those are all worse than any we've had so far.

The gray line at 0 in the graph represents 'making the tournament', and then each positive number represents a game won.

I'd rather have GU's tournament record but I'd rather have UVA's schedule and conference.

- interesting question, but quick emphatic no!
    - i would not want a national title at any cost.......such as miss the tournament 5 years in a row, crap your pants 5 times in the tournament. no thank you!

No but it’s a cool graph. All “it’s the journey that matters” aside (which I agree with), I like looking at that chart and naming the all time greatest Zags teams in terms of tourney success. With ‘98-‘99 as the baseline these are:
    ‘98-‘99
    ‘14-‘15
    ‘16-‘17
    ‘20-‘21
    Just spent 15 minutes reviewing each of those teams’ rosters and tourney opponents. Fun trip down memory lane.

I think the ‘14-‘15 squad w Pangos and Bell starting backcourt is my favorite. No particular reason just loved the journey those two led us on for four years. That team was full of seniors, juniors and a couple upperclassmen transfers. A reminder that in college hoops, older is more better than young and shiny..for the most part.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

I’d like to see this graph with GU vs Villanova.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I’d like to see this graph with GU vs Villanova.
    And then opt for it.

Hard pass. A natty would (will) be great, but missing the tournament that often would take a huge piece of Gonzaga's appeal away from recruits. I also think the Zags would have been hurt far more by a 16-1 defeat than a power-5 team was. I remember when the game with (Southern?) got too close for comfort late and I was already imagining the nauseating response that would have resulted.

I’ll take the consistent success over the one NC. Also agree that the 16-1 upset would have been way, way worse for GU.

Here's Villanova's record. It's much more appealing than Virginia's.

The reason I asked the question is that someone on Reddit suggested that many teams would trade their records with Virginia to get a championship. I said that I wouldn't, and was downvoted, ha ha. I'd rather be in the hunt every year than have one spike of success and years of sufferering on either side.

I don't think Virginia will ever live down the loss to a 16 seed, no matter how many titles they win. They will forever be enshrined as the first (and for a while, maybe only) team to ever lose to a 16 seed.

Kyle Guy and those two teams made for a great comeback story though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Nope. Can you imagine how fast the talking heads and haters would have buried us if we had been the first team to lose to a 16 seed?
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Nope. Can you imagine how fast the talking heads and haters would have buried us if we had been the first team to lose to a 16 seed?
    Many talking heads still are under the impression we don’t play anybody.

Losing to Southern in 2013 with our first ever 1 seed would have truly been a disaster. Almost happened!

I agree, I'd take our success over Virginia's. But I don't see college basketball as national title or bust given how random the tournament is.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Losing to Southern in 2013 with our first ever 1 seed would have truly been a disaster. Almost happened!

I agree, I'd take our success over Virginia's. But I don't see college basketball as national title or bust given how random the tournament is.
    I’m with you 08, Zag hoops for me has always been about the journey, instead of the destination. The Blue Bloods have a lock on “title or bust.”

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Here's Villanova's record. It's much more appealing than Virginia's.

The reason I asked the question is that someone on Reddit suggested that many teams would trade their records with Virginia to get a championship. I said that I wouldn't, and was downvoted, ha ha. I'd rather be in the hunt every year than have one spike of success and years of sufferering on either side.
    Thanks. Nova went farther in the tourney than GU only 6 times, but 2 were championships. Also missed the tourney 6 times.

It’s not just no, but HELL NO
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    No but it’s a cool graph. All “it’s the journey that matters” aside (which I agree with), I like looking at that chart and naming the all time greatest Zags teams in terms of tourney success. With ‘98-‘99 as the baseline these are:
    ‘98-‘99
    ‘14-‘15
    ‘16-‘17
    ‘20-‘21
    Just spent 15 minutes reviewing each of those teams’ rosters and tourney opponents. Fun trip down memory lane.

I think the ‘14-‘15 squad w Pangos and Bell starting backcourt is my favorite. No particular reason just loved the journey those two led us on for four years. That team was full of seniors, juniors and a couple upperclassmen transfers. A reminder that in college hoops, older is more better than young and shiny..for the most part.
    Love that '14-'15 squad too. If you put ONE of our big (6'4") guards of the last few years on that team, with either of Pangos or Bell as the sixth man, and who knows...they were just out-hossed as a short starting back court. That front court was stellar. Will always love that team.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Virginia’s playing style is boring. GU’s style is invigorating.

That is all.

There is nothing worse than losing the first game of the greatest American sports tournament, one that lasts 3 weeks, being out on a Thursday afternoon, to whatever seed, hurts far more over time than one national championship. It has been one long long time since we've been out on day one, never mind not making it.

It has only been the last 5 yrs that winning an NC has even really entered my radar screen.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I wouldn't trade places with Virginia, or anyone else. I love the little guy family feel of this program, and wouldn't trade places with anyone. We have gotten where we are at without the help of the officials, like north carolina did against arkansas, or virginia did against purdue, or north carolina did against us in 17, or duke got against central florida. We have earned what we have gotten. I still say it again the ncaa does not want a small school to win the championship, so what the Zags have done makes it that much sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Which would have made the revenge championship even better.

If we are talking about success (not changing style or other stuff people have commented on) I would not trade 2000 to 2021 with UVA. One championship, as much as I want it, isn’t worth trading the entire Zag legacy that started 14 seasons before Virginia got good. If we are talking about 2014 to present though, I would certainly trade. The year of BS after the 16 loss would have been horrible but they’ve been really good during that stretch and have that championship.

I would trade with any top 20 program with a 21st century digital offering.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I would trade with any top 20 program with a 21st century digital offering.
    We will miss you here on the forum. Best wishes and good luck with your choice!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    We will miss you here on the forum. Best wishes and good luck with your choice!
    Obviously, my tongue was firmly in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Obviously, my tongue was firmly in cheek.
    Fortunately tongue in cheek blocks foot in mouth

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk