Thread: OT - UConn Huskies' Paige Bueckers Tops AP's Preseason All-America Team

Default OT - UConn Huskies' Paige Bueckers Tops AP's Preseason All-America Team

From the Associated Press:

UConn Huskies' Paige Bueckers Tops AP's Preseason All-America Team
    Associated Press

Paige Bueckers made history as a freshman and is poised for an even better sophomore season.

UConn's sensational guard was the latest Huskies player to be honored as a preseason Associated Press All-American on Tuesday. She was a unanimous choice from the 29-member national media panel that selects the AP Top 25 each week.

Bueckers was joined on the five-player team by fellow sophomore Caitlin Clark of Iowa, junior Aliyah Boston of South Carolina, and seniors NaLyssa Smith of Baylor and Rhyne Howard of Kentucky. Boston and Howard were on the preseason team last year.

Bueckers became the first freshman to win the AP's Player of the Year award in March as she helped UConn reach the Final Four. She averaged 20 points, 5.8 assists and 4.9 rebounds last season.

"Paige is Paige," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Paige is better than she was last year. Paige is a little more comfortable than she was last year. She's not as hesitant to take shots as she was last year."
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...l-america-team

Nothing too unexpected with the preseason Associated Press All-American award.

ZagDad

She's really good, and I'm sick of hearing about her already. The hype for 3 more years is going to be unbearable. And Azzi Fudd has gotten nearly as much hype. If Geno doesn't win a Championship with this group, I think ya gotta say the game is starting to pass him by. He has not one, but two "one of a kind" guards surrounded by a whole bunch of other talented players.

It's weird, I really used to like UConn. I have grown weary of them.

Of the five young women listed, I am rooting for Caitlin Clark of Iowa. I have nothing against any of the other four women listed except I am tired of hearing about the schools they are playing for. Paige was definitely unbelievable as a freshman, and she seems like a very nice person, too bad she plays for Geno.

At least Caitlin plays for a school that never has had a Wbb all-american.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Of the five young women listed, I am rooting for Caitlin Clark of Iowa. I have nothing against any of the other four women listed except I am tired of hearing about the schools they are playing for. Paige was definitely unbelievable as a freshman, and she seems like a very nice person, too bad she plays for Geno.

At least Caitlin plays for a school that never has had a Wbb all-american.

ZagDad
    Megan Gustafson was never an All American? I thought she won some POY awards her Sr. year. I think she led the nation in scoring and rebounding, maybe in FG% as well. But yeah, I get the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Megan Gustafson was never an All American? I thought she won some POY awards her Sr. year. I think she led the nation in scoring and rebounding, maybe in FG% as well. But yeah, I get the sentiment.
    Fingers and brain were not in sync, I should have said, Iowa's Wbb first pre-season All-American.

Gustafson was the 2019 Citizen Naismith Trophy Award winner, given to the best player in college basketball, and this season she became one of only four NCAA Women’s Basketball players to score 1,000 points in a single-season. She topped the rankings in numerous categories this year including points per game (27.9) and field goal percentage (69.6). The Port Wing, Wisconsin native was also the Big Ten Player of the Year and was First Team All-Conference. The post player leaves Iowa as the Hawkeye’s all-time leading scorer (women’s and men’s programs) with 2,804 points.
    Has been a perennial backup in the WNBA. Drafted in 2019 by the Dallas Wings and played in every game but only played 20+ minutes in 2 games. Only played in 9 games for the Wings in 2020 (in the bubble) where she only played more than 10 minutes twice. Most games she played 5 minutes or less. Was traded to Washington this year and played in about a 1/3 of the games.

ZagDad

I've seen Gustafson play a little bit in the WNBA. She looks decent to me. It's tough to get a toehold in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I've seen Gustafson play a little bit in the WNBA. She looks decent to me. It's tough to get a toehold in the league.
    Meagan is not bad, but she is definitely a center and at 6'3" it is a tough road to hoe when you are playing against 6'5" to 6'9" centers in the league.

With only 12 teams in the league, a lot of really good college players simply can't make compete for the elite 156 jobs (13 players per team) that are available.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Meagan is not bad, but she is definitely a center and at 6'3" it is a tough road to hoe when you are playing against 6'5" to 6'9" centers in the league.

With only 12 teams in the league, a lot of really good college players simply can't make compete for the elite 156 jobs (13 players per team) that are available.

ZagDad
    And I think some teams go w/ only 12 players, thus cutting a few more opportunities.

It might be the exception to the rule, but it's happened more than once where a player bounces around, keeps being a training camp casualty or gets traded several times and is always deep on the bench...and then suddenly it comes together and they become a big contributor, if not a star. Allie Quigley, Betnijah Laney and Sami Whitcomb are a few that come to mind. Sometimes all it takes is getting a chance to show what you can do. Undoubtedly those players continued to work hard on their game as well.