Thread: Evanmiya Preseason Rankings

Default Evanmiya Preseason Rankings

He predicts #1 offense and #1 defense. Wow.

These player numbers are a little suspect, ha ha.

Must be a close friend of WooHoo...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Must be a close friend of WooHoo...
    Members of the same goat club?

UCLA ranked 16 is quite different than most other polls.
    Evanmiya must be based in the Bay Area, the biggest haters on Southern Calif. in existence.
    I know, I spent my first 19 years in the Bay Area and it is so much fun to hate on So. Calif.
    Grief stricken that the Dodgers beat the Giants this year.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    These player numbers are a little suspect, ha ha.

Scooner could you PLEASE explain the abbreviations listed below...THANKS!!!

OBPR

DBPR

BPR

Short answer, it's the 'Bayesian Performance Rating'.

"Bayesian Performance Rating (BPR), which quantifies how effective a player is, using advanced box-score metrics, play-by-play data, and historical information (for the basketball metric nerds, this is a highly technical version of an adjusted plus-minus). This metric is predictive in nature, which means that each rating is fine-tuned to predict performance in future games."

But it's explained in much greater detail on his site. I can't link directly to the definitions page, but you can get there in the sidebar by clicking "How It Works".

https://evanmiya.com/

Just my opinion, as one who made it through high school with not much more than a slide rule, but the over reliance on analytics will kill college basketball just as it has Major League Baseball. Is the pro game more watchable with half the shots being taken from 30 feet?

The first game of the World Series last night took 4 hours and 6 minutes, the final score was 6-2? Can’t grow the game when your future ticket buyers have to be in bed by the third inning.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Short answer, it's the 'Bayesian Performance Rating'.

"Bayesian Performance Rating (BPR), which quantifies how effective a player is, using advanced box-score metrics, play-by-play data, and historical information (for the basketball metric nerds, this is a highly technical version of an adjusted plus-minus). This metric is predictive in nature, which means that each rating is fine-tuned to predict performance in future games."

But it's explained in much greater detail on his site. I can't link directly to the definitions page, but you can get there in the sidebar by clicking "How It Works".

https://evanmiya.com/

Thank You for taking the time to explain as well as the follow-up site!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Just my opinion, as one who made it through high school with not much more than a slide rule, but the over reliance on analytics will kill college basketball just as it has Major League Baseball. Is the pro game more watchable with half the shots being taken from 30 feet?

The first game of the World Series last night took 4 hours and 6 minutes, the final score was 6-2? Can’t grow the game when your future ticket buyers have to be in bed by the third inning.
    And some of us past ticket buyers, as well, Tex.