Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And it starts.... P5 conference tourny

Default And it starts.... P5 conference tourny

All the more reason for the Zags to ditch the WCC & the inevitable Basketball Championship Subdivision staying would entail and join the Big East.

YEP....everybody knows its coming....just a matter of when

Huggins is doing some day drinking I see
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Huggins is the least articulate, most inelegant CBB figure to front this idea. What a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    All the more reason for the Zags to ditch the WCC & the inevitable Basketball Championship Subdivision staying would entail and join the Big East.
    I think even the BE wouldn't make the cut.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I think even the BE wouldn't make the cut.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Exactly.
    think Huggy doesn't like getting tossed from the tourney by non-P5 teams... with his wish, he'd still not get past the 2nd or 3rd round before a middling SEC team took him out instead.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Angry

Not a Huggy Bear fan on this stinker of an idea.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Not a Huggy Bear fan on this stinker of an idea.

:[
    Time to look behind the curtain at Huggy’s CBB operation. Might make Ricky P and Chris Mack blush.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Huggins is the least articulate, most inelegant CBB figure to front this idea. What a jerk.
    in other words not the best spokesperson....

Not gonna happen. Everybody loves Cinderella. The tourney would lose its charm and its personality. Nobody (except the fan bases of those teams) cares about a first weekend game between the 6th place team from the ACC v the 7th place team from the Big Ten.

Football is a different animal, where you don't have a chance unless you have 50+ huge, strong, fast guys. Part of basketball's beauty is that you can get a couple of late bloomer stars (i.e. 2 star Gordon Hayward of Butler, Curry etc) and surround them with smart, unselfish role players and compete with the elite talent on a given night.

I think the people in charge realize the loss of income this would cause, and they are primarily money motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Not gonna happen. Everybody loves Cinderella. The tourney would lose its charm and its personality. Nobody (except the fan bases of those teams) cares about a first weekend game between the 6th place team from the ACC v the 7th place team from the Big Ten.

Football is a different animal, where you don't have a chance unless you have 50+ huge, strong, fast guys. Part of basketball's beauty is that you can get a couple of late bloomer stars (i.e. 2 star Gordon Hayward of Butler, Curry etc) and surround them with smart, unselfish role players and compete with the elite talent on a given night.

I think the people in charge realize the loss of income this would cause, and they are primarily money motivated.
    Best recent example. CJ McCollum in 2012 getting Lehigh past Koach, who was wonderful in defeat.

Several posters have previously stated something to the effect of, “it’s working now, why make a conference change?”

I have always stated, if you’re not thinking ahead, you’re reactive, and that’s a terrible place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Several posters have previously stated something to the effect of, “it’s working now, why make a conference change?”

I have always stated, if you’re not thinking ahead, you’re reactive, and that’s a terrible place to be.
    +1

CBS will never let that happen….never. Too much money in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

https://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...s-a-cinderella

This article is from a while back, but it points to there being actual data behind the long held belief that Cinderella teams help drive the appeal of the NCAA tournament.

Do it and see if I ever watch another college basketball game. It’s been about a decade since I quit watching College Football and I don’t miss it even a little bit. I enjoy fairness in sports, not a rigged system.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...s-a-cinderella

This article is from a while back, but it points to there being actual data behind the long held belief that Cinderella teams help drive the appeal of the NCAA tournament.
    Good find. I think it goes to the fact that most people who play or played a sport aren't stars on championship teams, so we identify with the underdogs that we were as players. If most are like me, we treasure those few brief moments when we played on a team that beat somebody who was clearly better than we were, and I think we identify with underdogs because of that. Kind of why I adopted the Zags in the late '90s when they were mostly 2nd-3rd tier kids from the NW.

Bad enough we get the likes of Syracuse and Usc as the 8/9 game while conference champions are forced to the play-in games.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Do it and see if I ever watch another college basketball game. It’s been about a decade since I quit watching College Football and I don’t miss it even a little bit. I enjoy fairness in sports, not a rigged system.
    The NCAA would literally lose 1/2 their audience as soon as they do that. I know so many people who only watch to see upsets. Basketball isn’t football and people like Huggins need to wrap their heads around that

Unsurprisingly, Huggins' dopey idea getting universally lambasted. Time for CBB media to quit slurping this guy, who's great copy, an above average coach, but runs an underachieving program.

First off, the BE is not a P-5 school so that conference isn't included in Huge Bear's reference.

Do not forget how the BCS now the P-5 started their own post season the same thing could happen to CBB. Not so much that the P5 would only play against P5 schools in the post season tournament but rather CONTROL the money that the Dance earns...

Cincy is ranked #2 in the country and "IF" they stay undefeated and are invited into the playoffs AND WIN, then you will see the P5 conferences make changes. Why? Because they lost close to $50M in income and then they would also have to allow another non-P5 school into a major New Year's bowl game.

I think if GU can win the Natty this season, then there will be more discussion about closing the loop so to speak if they can find away to get a TV package to sustain this move...

Never under-estimate GREED!

March Madness is a huge media event and I understand a big draw at Las Vegas......hard to imagine this would happen but it must be annoying to the Power5/6 that the small schools share the revenue......

I have no idea what will happen....but to his credit Huggins has been very generous with his time and money for that god forsaken State........probably done more for them than anyone but Senators Byrd and Manchin and of course the King of Coal.....