• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagdontzig
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by DonJuan View Post
    That is not what I have heard. The other WCC members did not like when Few strong armed them last time on the schedule change. They are tired of it, quite frankly. And the WCC/WCAC existed without Gonzaga for many years. It will survive without Gonzaga.
    Are you a Zag fan or a representative of the WCC? If they got strong armed, it's because Few had the leverage. Getting to another title game and having back-to-back consensus #1 recruits commit should only increase that leverage. I don't think Gonzaga really cares about their feelies. Why would we want back anyway? And if they don't, the MWC, Big Sky, and a myriad of other conferences would welcome Gonzaga with open arms.

And please stop with the "we'll allow the WCC teams to play us in the OOC". Thanks for the favor.
    You're welcome.

First, the Big East is not what you think it is. Many of the teams that have been named in this thread are in the 50's in the Kenpom, lower than St. Mary's and USF. Providence, Marquette, Butler and Depaul are bigger names, but are middle of the NET level teams. Would you rather play St. Mary's in Moraga and the Dons in SF, or travel 3,000 miles to play Providence or Seton Hall? Or travel to Chicago and play a very mediocre DePaul? 2021 Conference RPI rankings? Big East was 6. Guess who was No. 5? You are not joining the ACC, Pac 12, or the Big 12.
    The RPI is dead. It is the equivalent of the steam engine when we have diesel electrics. The Big East is KenPom's strongest overall conference. Yea, conference strength is subjective, but it is reasonably undisputable that the Big East is one of the best conferences in the country, and by most accounts, the best.

Second, you will lose many more games. Lots of travel and playing in huge arenas. Expect 7-8 losses a year. There goes your No. 1 seed, which is essentially guaranteed by the WCC.
    I'd rather play a stronger schedule and lose a few games, than try and build a non-conference schedule every year because the conference is a barren waste land.
    Originally posted by Reborn
    Go Zags!!!
    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• bdmiller7
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post

The RPI is dead. It is the equivalent of the steam engine when we have diesel electrics. The Big East is KenPom's strongest overall conference. Yea, conference strength is subjective, but it is reasonably undisputable that the Big East is one of the best conferences in the country, and by most accounts, the best.

The last time the Big East was KenPom’s #1 conference was 2006, and that was a vastly different conference. One of the best yes, but not the best. The Big 12 has been that for several years. The Big East was 6th last year I believe they are 6th going into this year.

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

No. Never. Nohow. Unless...

The BE will 1) subsidize the travel for GU non-Basketball travel and 2) have at least two other schools in the Pacific/Mountain Time Zones.

Big East is that grass that looks greener, but it's just spray painted.

KenPom Data - over the 20 years 2002-2021:

AKA - BE is better, but the difference is slowly becoming less such.
        History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• Zagceo
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Non revenue sports are destined for the the intramural pile of history...thats not a bad thing

Comment

• strikenowhere
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post

The BE will 1) subsidize the travel for GU non-Basketball travel and 2) have at least two other schools in the Pacific/Mountain Time Zones.

Run that again, only this time without the Zags in the WCC calculations.

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

and put Gonzaga in BE and rerun model....LOL

Comment

• ZagDad84
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2014

Run the analysis without BYU in the WCC and Gonzaga in the BE and see what that gets you.

ZagDad

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                  I'm amazed that there are already five people poo-pooing this. Would you rather play St. Mary's or Villanova? San Francisco or Creighton? LMU or Seton Hall? San Diego or Butler? Every single team (outside of DePaul lol) is in upgrade compared to the teams in the WCC
                  I cannot handle the cognitive dissonance of a Washington school playing in the Big East.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

You evolve or you get retired. Things are changing. I know Roth was looking for ways to improve GU’s conference position. I support this now more than ever.

Comment

• HenneZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                      You evolve or you get retired. Things are changing. I know Roth was looking for ways to improve GU’s conference position. I support this now more than ever.
                      Bingo. Something will change. Either we improve internal or we go outside the box.
                      America's Team!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                        I'd rather play a stronger schedule and lose a few games, than try and build a non-conference schedule every year because the conference is a barren waste land.
                        Please don’t refer to our conference as a barren wasteland. Gonzaga has a lot in common with the schools in the WCC in terms of academics, mission, enrollment, and shared values.

As a basketball league, the WCC is better than average with a bunch of teams that compete pretty well for smaller schools. Quite frankly, they remind me of the Gonzaga teams I loved to cheer for when I was a student during the Fitzgerald era at Gonzaga. I cheer for the WCC teams when they play anybody else.
                        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • May 2019

The big east is a much better version of the WCC. When it comes to basketball, yes they are part of the power 6 and an overall excellent basketball confrence. Unfortunately they are a basketball confrence, they will not be included in any way shape or form of a Power 5 alliance or realignment.
                          Creating a super alliance with top teams outside the P5 I could see as a viable option to keep non confrence schedules extremely lucrative through TV deals for maybe 15 teams across the country. It would be kind of a basketball super non confrence to protect the elite non P5 schools.
                          I dont think the big east offers much protection on its own.
                          Where would GU's non revenue sports go? Stay in the WCC? I doubt the WCC want GU'S non revenue sports without the basketball revenue? I'm not sure what confrence would?
                          I think the Zags can do something huge without leaving the confrence. Joining the big east in its true sense....I dont think is the answer.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                            I cannot handle the cognitive dissonance of a Washington school playing in the Big East.
                            If it helps, the Zags are ~22,000 miles EAST of New York City.

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

Complete nonsense....

Comment

• zagdontzig
                                Zag for Life
                                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                                The last time the Big East was KenPom’s #1 conference was 2006, and that was a vastly different conference. One of the best yes, but not the best. The Big 12 has been that for several years. The Big East was 6th last year I believe they are 6th going into this year.

I stand corrected. It's the fourth best conference, which is still better than the WCC by miles, especially when you do what strikenowhere says VVV

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                                Run that again, only this time without the Zags in the WCC calculations.
                                Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                                Run the analysis without BYU in the WCC and Gonzaga in the BE and see what that gets you.

ZagDad
                                Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                                Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                                Please don’t refer to our conference as a barren wasteland. Gonzaga has a lot in common with the schools in the WCC in terms of academics, mission, enrollment, and shared values.

As a basketball league, the WCC is better than average with a bunch of teams that compete pretty well for smaller schools. Quite frankly, they remind me of the Gonzaga teams I loved to cheer for when I was a student during the Fitzgerald era at Gonzaga. I cheer for the WCC teams when they play anybody else.
                                I don't mean to attack the academic, religious, or social merits of the schools. My criticism of the the WCC basketball programs at a national championship level doesn't discount that people love the schools other bona fide reasons. I love my DIII Westminster Griffins, but I would never wish Gonzaga joined their conference.

Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
                                The big east is a much better version of the WCC. When it comes to basketball, yes they are part of the power 6 and an overall excellent basketball confrence. Unfortunately they are a basketball confrence, they will not be included in any way shape or form of a Power 5 alliance or realignment.
                                Creating a super alliance with top teams outside the P5 I could see as a viable option to keep non confrence schedules extremely lucrative through TV deals for maybe 15 teams across the country. It would be kind of a basketball super non confrence to protect the elite non P5 schools.
                                I dont think the big east offers much protection on its own.
                                Where would GU's non revenue sports go? Stay in the WCC? I doubt the WCC want GU'S non revenue sports without the basketball revenue? I'm not sure what confrence would?
                                I think the Zags can do something huge without leaving the confrence. Joining the big east in its true sense....I dont think is the answer.
                                Please read the rest of the thread. Therein lie the answers to your questions.
                                Originally posted by Reborn
                                Go Zags!!!
                                Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Working...
                                X