View Poll Results: Should Gonzaga join the Big East if offered as a full member?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 61.18%
  • No

33 38.82%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should we Join the Big East if offered

Non revenue sports are destined for the the intramural pile of history...thats not a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    No. Never. Nohow. Unless...

The BE will 1) subsidize the travel for GU non-Basketball travel and 2) have at least two other schools in the Pacific/Mountain Time Zones.

Big East is that grass that looks greener, but it's just spray painted.

KenPom Data - over the 20 years 2002-2021:

AKA - BE is better, but the difference is slowly becoming less such.
    Run that again, only this time without the Zags in the WCC calculations.

The BE will 1) subsidize the travel for GU non-Basketball travel and 2) have at least two other schools in the Pacific/Mountain Time Zones.

and put Gonzaga in BE and rerun model....LOL

Run the analysis without BYU in the WCC and Gonzaga in the BE and see what that gets you.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I'm amazed that there are already five people poo-pooing this. Would you rather play St. Mary's or Villanova? San Francisco or Creighton? LMU or Seton Hall? San Diego or Butler? Every single team (outside of DePaul lol) is in upgrade compared to the teams in the WCC
    I cannot handle the cognitive dissonance of a Washington school playing in the Big East.

You evolve or you get retired. Things are changing. I know Roth was looking for ways to improve GU’s conference position. I support this now more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    You evolve or you get retired. Things are changing. I know Roth was looking for ways to improve GU’s conference position. I support this now more than ever.
    Bingo. Something will change. Either we improve internal or we go outside the box.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I'd rather play a stronger schedule and lose a few games, than try and build a non-conference schedule every year because the conference is a barren waste land.
    Please don’t refer to our conference as a barren wasteland. Gonzaga has a lot in common with the schools in the WCC in terms of academics, mission, enrollment, and shared values.

As a basketball league, the WCC is better than average with a bunch of teams that compete pretty well for smaller schools. Quite frankly, they remind me of the Gonzaga teams I loved to cheer for when I was a student during the Fitzgerald era at Gonzaga. I cheer for the WCC teams when they play anybody else.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

The big east is a much better version of the WCC. When it comes to basketball, yes they are part of the power 6 and an overall excellent basketball confrence. Unfortunately they are a basketball confrence, they will not be included in any way shape or form of a Power 5 alliance or realignment.
    Creating a super alliance with top teams outside the P5 I could see as a viable option to keep non confrence schedules extremely lucrative through TV deals for maybe 15 teams across the country. It would be kind of a basketball super non confrence to protect the elite non P5 schools.
    I dont think the big east offers much protection on its own.
    Where would GU's non revenue sports go? Stay in the WCC? I doubt the WCC want GU'S non revenue sports without the basketball revenue? I'm not sure what confrence would?
    I think the Zags can do something huge without leaving the confrence. Joining the big east in its true sense....I dont think is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I cannot handle the cognitive dissonance of a Washington school playing in the Big East.
    If it helps, the Zags are ~22,000 miles EAST of New York City.

Complete nonsense....

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    The last time the Big East was KenPom’s #1 conference was 2006, and that was a vastly different conference. One of the best yes, but not the best. The Big 12 has been that for several years. The Big East was 6th last year I believe they are 6th going into this year.

I stand corrected. It's the fourth best conference, which is still better than the WCC by miles, especially when you do what strikenowhere says VVV

Run that again, only this time without the Zags in the WCC calculations.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Run the analysis without BYU in the WCC and Gonzaga in the BE and see what that gets you.

ZagDad
    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Please don’t refer to our conference as a barren wasteland. Gonzaga has a lot in common with the schools in the WCC in terms of academics, mission, enrollment, and shared values.

As a basketball league, the WCC is better than average with a bunch of teams that compete pretty well for smaller schools. Quite frankly, they remind me of the Gonzaga teams I loved to cheer for when I was a student during the Fitzgerald era at Gonzaga. I cheer for the WCC teams when they play anybody else.
    I don't mean to attack the academic, religious, or social merits of the schools. My criticism of the the WCC basketball programs at a national championship level doesn't discount that people love the schools other bona fide reasons. I love my DIII Westminster Griffins, but I would never wish Gonzaga joined their conference.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    The big east is a much better version of the WCC. When it comes to basketball, yes they are part of the power 6 and an overall excellent basketball confrence. Unfortunately they are a basketball confrence, they will not be included in any way shape or form of a Power 5 alliance or realignment.
    Creating a super alliance with top teams outside the P5 I could see as a viable option to keep non confrence schedules extremely lucrative through TV deals for maybe 15 teams across the country. It would be kind of a basketball super non confrence to protect the elite non P5 schools.
    I dont think the big east offers much protection on its own.
    Where would GU's non revenue sports go? Stay in the WCC? I doubt the WCC want GU'S non revenue sports without the basketball revenue? I'm not sure what confrence would?
    I think the Zags can do something huge without leaving the confrence. Joining the big east in its true sense....I dont think is the answer.
    Please read the rest of the thread. Therein lie the answers to your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Ought to rename the poll to "Do you want to protect Gonzaga from sliding into future irrelevance and mediocrity due to remaining in the WCC amid a seismically-shifting basketball landscape?". I bet that would change some of the votes.

Ought to rename the poll to "Do you want to protect Gonzaga from sliding into future irrelevance and mediocrity due to remaining in the WCC amid a seismically-shifting basketball landscape?". I bet that would change some of the votes.
    What happens if in 10 years we’re in the Big East, Few has retired, travel was a bigger issue than we expected, we’re losing more games, our NCAA tourney streak is over, recruiting has fallen off, we’re now a bottom 1/2 of the Big East, we’re spending more on travel to be mediocre, the Big East has continued to fall farther behind the Power 5 and their football money… So many people are acting like joining the Big East is a sure fire way to be forever relevant, but there is a lot of “if’s” on both sides. GU has been steadily growing in the WCC for 2 decades with people saying it couldn’t last, but it hasn’t stopped us yet. I’m not saying remaining in the WCC is the best option, but I definitely don’t think joining the Big East is an easy choice.

Plus they would have to actually invite GU to join, which I’m not sure is going to happen anyway.

What happens if in 10 years we’re in the Big East, Few has retired, travel was a bigger issue than we expected, we’re losing more games, our NCAA tourney streak is over, recruiting has fallen off, we’re now a bottom 1/2 of the Big East, we’re spending more on travel to be mediocre, the Big East has continued to fall farther behind the Power 5 and their football money… So many people are acting like joining the Big East is a sure fire way to be forever relevant, but there is a lot of “if’s” on both sides. GU has been steadily growing in the WCC for 2 decades with people saying it couldn’t last, but it hasn’t stopped us yet. I’m not saying remaining in the WCC is the best option, but I definitely don’t think joining the Big East is an easy choice.

Plus they would have to actually invite GU to join, which I’m not sure is going to happen anyway.
    If it were an easy choice, it would have already happened.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

This is the key phrase. I really do not think the Big East will invite GU to join the conference as a single addition in the near term for the following reasons.

Assuming the BE equally shares their revenue each team would have to give up approximately 10% of their TV revenue to Gonzaga

The increase in travel costs to all of the current BE teams to travel to Spokane.

Is the increase in TV revenue going to be sufficient to offset the loss of revenue to the existing BE teams by adding Gonzaga plus the increase in travel costs for the BE teams to come to Spokane. Possibly, but by no means guaranteed.

I think the BE will need to grow to stay relevant and if and when they develop a "Western" division with the teams located from the Pacific to the Central time zones, that is when they would likely consider adding Gonzaga. Whether the BE ADs and Presidents want to grow like that prior to the ending of their current TV contract (2025??) remains to be seen.

I would be surprised if the BE invites Gonzaga to join prior to the ending of this current TV deal.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    This is the key phrase. I really do not think the Big East will invite GU to join the conference as a single addition in the near term for the following reasons.

Assuming the BE equally shares their revenue each team would have to give up approximately 10% of their TV revenue to Gonzaga

The increase in travel costs to all of the current BE teams to travel to Spokane.

Is the increase in TV revenue going to be sufficient to offset the loss of revenue to the existing BE teams by adding Gonzaga plus the increase in travel costs for the BE teams to come to Spokane. Possibly, but by no means guaranteed.

I think the BE will need to grow to stay relevant and if and when they develop a "Western" division with the teams located from the Pacific to the Central time zones, that is when they would likely consider adding Gonzaga. Whether the BE ADs and Presidents want to grow like that prior to the ending of their current TV contract (2025??) remains to be seen.

I would be surprised if the BE invites Gonzaga to join prior to the ending of this current TV deal.

ZagDad
    I firmly believe that Gonzaga will be in the Big East within the next five years. I also believe that the Big East will expand by at least three teams and those teams will be Midwest teams. I also don't believe the travel is nearly as big of an issue for Gonzaga as it would be for the East Coast teams in the Big East. The conference schedule can be set up where Gonzaga is making 1-2 trips to the EC each year and 2-3 to the midwest each year. Also, if they were to join the Big East, they could reduce their travel during the OOC as they would have plenty of marquee matchups in conference. They could still play quality teams, but could stick with the West Coast teams.

Just seems that this is a square peg in a round hole.

Smile Outta-The-Box thinking required

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I firmly believe that Gonzaga will be in the Big East within the next five years. I also believe that the Big East will expand by at least three teams and those teams will be Midwest teams. I also don't believe the travel is nearly as big of an issue for Gonzaga as it would be for the East Coast teams in the Big East. The conference schedule can be set up where Gonzaga is making 1-2 trips to the EC each year and 2-3 to the midwest each year. Also, if they were to join the Big East, they could reduce their travel during the OOC as they would have plenty of marquee matchups in conference. They could still play quality teams, but could stick with the West Coast teams.
    I like the idea of the Big East adding GU and several midwest and/or mountain time zone schools. The question is which ones.

I also like the idea of a new configuration of the best non-PAC-12 schools in the west and mountain time zones (including, for example, the MWC's UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, and San Diego State).

All this could be so simplified if the NCAA would allow basketball-only and football-only conferences with some kind of conferences/alliances for the non-glamourous sports.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I voted stay but now think going would be the wisest choice. I was afraid that on a down year we’d lose too many and miss the tourney whereas the WCC is more forgiving but I think the only way forward will be a new conference and we need to strike while the iron is hot.
    The winning percentage would take a hit no doubt but maybe with greater conference money the school as a whole will prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Non revenue sports are destined for the the intramural pile of history...thats not a bad thing
    - ouch! that was a bit harsh, yet who knows 5-10 years down the road it well maybe our reality.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I stand corrected. It's the fourth best conference, which is still better than the WCC by miles, especially when you do what strikenowhere says VVV

I don't mean to attack the academic, religious, or social merits of the schools. My criticism of the the WCC basketball programs at a national championship level doesn't discount that people love the schools other bona fide reasons. I love my DIII Westminster Griffins, but I would never wish Gonzaga joined their conference.

Please read the rest of the thread. Therein lie the answers to your questions.
    Ok ok I read the Cliff Notes!! Thats what happens when your in a hurry!