• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

Coach Few DUI Sentencing

Few took responsibility for his actions during the hearing and said he was “pleading guilty because I am guilty,” according to court minutes.
    He was sentenced to 24 hrs of community service and a $1,000 fine, in lieu of 4 days in jail

Gonzaga basketball coach Mark Few pleaded guilty to driving under the influence last week, just five weeks after he was arrested in Idaho.
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

OK

Comment

• ZagsObserver
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

For a first offense with no priors - Usually, these end up with a negligent driving citation several months removed from the incident following legal jockeying. Few took responsibility. A great look in my book.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
        For a first offense with no priors - Usually, these end up with a negligent driving citation several months removed from the incident following legal jockeying. Few took responsibility. A great look in my book.
        I agree. He certainly could have pled down and cut a deal and avoided a DUI conviction. He didn’t.

“I plead guilty because I am guilty.” How refreshing.

In my book this is Few stepping up. He is ending this now; he is admitting and owning what he did, and he’s taking whatever consequences that means. This is leadership. A great example of how to own and learn from your mistakes. Very few do this anymore.

Again—refreshing.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Good call, coach. Now, let's close the book on this.

Comment

• UberZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
            I agree. He certainly could have pled down and cut a deal and avoided a DUI conviction. He didn’t.

“I plead guilty because I am guilty.” How refreshing.

In my book this is Few stepping up. He is ending this now; he is admitting and owning what he did, and he’s taking whatever consequences that means. This is leadership. A great example of how to own and learn from your mistakes. Very few do this anymore.

Again—refreshing.
            He is admitting and owning what he did. I think you can also admit and own what you do by agreeing to a stipulated order of continuance, completing conditions of the stipulation such as victim's panel, alcohol/drug class and paying courts costs and then agreeing to plead to Neg 1. Not sure if Idaho has that option which is SOP in WA. Considering how light his sentence is probably makes little difference.
            If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• strikenowhere
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Glad he pleaded guilty. Time to move on.

Comment

• daskim
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2020

Took ownership of what he did.

Back to basketball.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by UberZagFan View Post
                  He is admitting and owning what he did. I think you can also admit and own what you do by agreeing to a stipulated order of continuance, completing conditions of the stipulation such as victim's panel, alcohol/drug class and paying courts costs and then agreeing to plead to Neg 1. Not sure if Idaho has that option which is SOP in WA. Considering how light his sentence is probably makes little difference.
                  Except for the part about negligent driving not being synonymous with DUI.

He pled guilty to and is accepting a conviction for DUI. That’s significantly different from pleading guilty to a lesser offense.

Comment

• StatZag
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2020

Correct/classy/honest move by Few.

Now how about those conspiracy theorists here claiming he would have (or did at the station?) blow a mystery hypothetical 3rd alcohol test within legal limits (less than 2/3rd his twice-measured level).

Simplest explanation is the correct one - his 2 consecutive matching field tests showing he was 2 recent drinks above the legal limit actually just reflected reality.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2008

R E S P E C T

Comment

• zagdontzig
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2016

He did the right thing, but I wouldn't go so far as to applaud this outcome. Glad to see it's a closed chapter though, and now everyone can (thankfully without incident) put this behind them.
                        Originally posted by Reborn
                        Go Zags!!!
                        Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                          Except for the part about negligent driving not being synonymous with DUI.

He pled guilty to and is accepting a conviction for DUI. That’s significantly different from pleading guilty to a lesser offense.
                          My respect was already very high and is now higher. “Pleading guilty because I’m guilty” is a perfect thing to say/do, in my opinion.

Comment

• AirborneJag
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                            I agree Fewie took responsibility for his actions, but your assertion that these “end up with a negligent driving citation” is patently wrong. In the “old days”, it was relatively easy to get a “withheld judgment” for a first or even a second time DUI in Kootenai County which meant if you followed the terms of the withheld judgment, the violation would disappear. But it hasn’t been that way for more than 20 years, and I never saw a DUI arrest get reduced to negligent/reckless driving if the initial stop and subsequent BA were valid. If the initial stop was bogus, then maybe. With the influence of groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Drivers and others (I can still recall seeing their reps in the courtroom taking notes of the judge, the prosecutor, defense counsel, the BA or Blood results, number of prior events, and the sentence) put a stop to that. I would think if you are especially well connected it might be possible to still pull it off, but with something as “newsworthy” as Few’s arrest, I doubt it. Few did the right thing; his sentence looks to be appropriate and proportional for the violation, and now we can all move along.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by AirborneJag View Post
                              I agree Fewie took responsibility for his actions, but your assertion that these “end up with a negligent driving citation” is patently wrong. In the “old days”, it was relatively easy to get a “withheld judgment” for a first or even a second time DUI in Kootenai County which meant if you followed the terms of the withheld judgment, the violation would disappear. But it hasn’t been that way for more than 20 years, and I never saw a DUI arrest get reduced to negligent/reckless driving if the initial stop and subsequent BA were valid. If the initial stop was bogus, then maybe. With the influence of groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Drivers and others (I can still recall seeing their reps in the courtroom taking notes of the judge, the prosecutor, defense counsel, the BA or Blood results, number of prior events, and the sentence) put a stop to that. I would think if you are especially well connected it might be possible to still pull it off, but with something as “newsworthy” as Few’s arrest, I doubt it. Few did the right thing; his sentence looks to be appropriate and proportional for the violation, and now we can all move along.
                              I’m sorry, but you are simply incorrect here. It happens here all the time. Just happened with a known individual, and in his case, there were other factors which should have compounded the initial charge. The prosecutor’s statement: “this is typically how we deal with a first offense.”

Comment

Working...
                              X