• Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Pre-Season All American -- Timme 1st Team and Chet 3rd Team

Gary Parrish
    @GaryParrishCBS
    The
    @CBSSports
    Preseason All-America teams have published.

FIRST TEAM

G: Collin Gillespie (Villanova)
    G: Johnny Juzang UCLA)
    F: Paolo Banchero (Duke)
    F: Drew Timme (Gonzaga)
    C: Kofi Cockburn (Illinois)

Drew Timme | Gonzaga | F | 6-10 | Jr.
    The most recognizable returning player in college basketball. (Will that 'stache be back, too?) Timme enters his junior season as the cog to a Gonzaga team that went 31-1 last season, finished No. 1 in KenPom and had one of the most efficient per-possession offenses of the past 20 years. Timme averaged 19.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists and shot 65.5% from the field. How he plays off freshman teammate Chet Holmgren -- also represented as a CBS Sports All-American -- will determine how great Gonzaga can be. There is no more automatic of a bucket inside 10 feet than this guy, who has gotten much better through two seasons. If he continues his ascent at a similar pace, no one will outplay him as the best college basketball hooper in 2021-22.

Chet Holmgren | Gonzaga | C | 7-0 | Fr.
    The No. 1 prospect in the Class of 2021, Chet Holmgren is a 7-footer with an outside shot who figures to be a top-five pick in the 2022 NBA Draft.

• Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Gary Parrish
    @GaryParrishCBS
    The
    @CBSSports
    Preseason All-America teams have published.

FIRST TEAM

G: Collin Gillespie (Villanova)
    G: Johnny Juzang UCLA)
    F: Paolo Banchero (Duke)
    F: Drew Timme (Gonzaga)
    C: Kofi Cockburn (Illinois)

Drew Timme | Gonzaga | F | 6-10 | Jr.
    The most recognizable returning player in college basketball. (Will that 'stache be back, too?) Timme enters his junior season as the cog to a Gonzaga team that went 31-1 last season, finished No. 1 in KenPom and had one of the most efficient per-possession offenses of the past 20 years. Timme averaged 19.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists and shot 65.5% from the field. How he plays off freshman teammate Chet Holmgren -- also represented as a CBS Sports All-American -- will determine how great Gonzaga can be. There is no more automatic of a bucket inside 10 feet than this guy, who has gotten much better through two seasons. If he continues his ascent at a similar pace, no one will outplay him as the best college basketball hooper in 2021-22.

Chet Holmgren | Gonzaga | C | 7-0 | Fr.
    The No. 1 prospect in the Class of 2021, Chet Holmgren is a 7-footer with an outside shot who figures to be a top-five pick in the 2022 NBA Draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ented-players/
    I find Paolo Banchero (Duke) being listed rather confusing because he played against Chet this past summer and Chet easily out played him and Paolo could not defend him...but hey, there are more knowledgable basketball minds out there and Parrish is one of them but still confusing to me...Dickie didn't have either on his list of the top 15 players...

Comment

• strikenowhere
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
      I find Paolo Banchero (Duke) being listed rather confusing because he played against Chet this past summer and Chet easily out played him and Paolo could not defend him...but hey, there are more knowledgable basketball minds out there and Parrish is one of them but still confusing to me...Dickie didn't have either on his list of the top 15 players...
      Well it's Coach K's last season so it is probably required to have at least one Duke player

Comment

• Markburn1
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2015

It's Duke.

Dickie V doesn't have freshmen on his preseason teams. Never has.

Somewhat in defense of Parrish, Banchero will probably be asked to carry a bigger load for Duke than Chet will for the Zags. Chet's numbers may not be as eye popping because his teammates will get plenty.

Comment

• UberZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Banchero was surprising. Otherwise pretty solid for pre-season list.

Every year you see that one player where you go "he's still in college -- seems like he's been playing forever." Gillespie is now the poster child for that thought.
          If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
            • Feb 2007

Duke next to his name is the only reason he is listed. Name one consensus #1 player that somehow ends up on the 3rd team preseason AA list while the dude that hovered around 2-4 ends up first team. Fine, whatever. Hope Chet uses this as extra motivation when the Zags play Duke.
            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• bdmiller7
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
              Duke next to his name is the only reason he is listed. Name one consensus #1 player that somehow ends up on the 3rd team preseason AA list while the dude that hovered around 2-4 ends up first team. Fine, whatever. Hope Chet uses this as extra motivation when the Zags play Duke.
              Don’t know about that. Banchero was said by many to be more college ready throughout the recruiting process because he is more physically developed. Chet was said to be the better long term prospect because of his upside. Paolo reminds me of 3rd year Rui, but with a better understanding of the game. Plus he doesn’t have the consensus preseason player of the year playing next to him. Chet may be overshadowed a bit by Timme, but I think he will fit in perfect with the pieces GU has. I’m sure Chet would take 3rd team AA and a national championship if it all comes together.

Comment

• Spike#1
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Oct 2016

Timme, Juzan, Cockburn headline AP preseason All-Americans

Timme was the lone unanimous selection by a 63-person media panel on The Associated Press preseason All-America team released Monday.

“I love it here. It’s a great place. It’s where I want to be," Timme said. "When I do something, I feel like I have to be the best version of myself and I felt like there are some things I needed to work on in order to accomplish that. Coach pushes me every day, we had some talks and I felt like it was the best move to me, the most logical move, especially with talking with coach and my family.”

Drew Timme could have left for the NBA after leading Gonzaga into last season's national title game. There was an added benefit, too: Timme was the lone unanimous selection by a 63-person media panel on The Associated Press preseason All-America team released Monday.

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                  Don’t know about that. Banchero was said by many to be more college ready throughout the recruiting process because he is more physically developed. Chet was said to be the better long term prospect because of his upside. Paolo reminds me of 3rd year Rui, but with a better understanding of the game. Plus he doesn’t have the consensus preseason player of the year playing next to him. Chet may be overshadowed a bit by Timme, but I think he will fit in perfect with the pieces GU has. I’m sure Chet would take 3rd team AA and a national championship if it all comes together.
                  Head to head, Chet outplayed him. That should count the most, in my opinion.
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• zagfan08
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Paolo is incredible. He has added shot creation to his game and is in for a huge season. We wanted him badly and almost got him. No need to be surprised or knock any of his preseason accolades.

Chet is going to be awesome but is going to have a different offensive role than Paolo. Either will be a fine choice at number 1 next summer and I'm guessing they will form a consensus top 2.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
                      Paolo is incredible. He has added shot creation to his game and is in for a huge season. We wanted him badly and almost got him. No need to be surprised or knock any of his preseason accolades.

Chet is going to be awesome but is going to have a different offensive role than Paolo. Either will be a fine choice at number 1 next summer and I'm guessing they will form a consensus top 2.
                      If we didn’t have Chet, I’m thinking we would have gotten Paolo. That’s how close it was at one point. Both will be great. Paolo might be better out the gate. We’ll see. I’ll take Chet.

Comment

• upan8th
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

So . . . where's Nemhard? An ultra-savvy, well-seasoned, team leader, starting point guard on a consensus pre-season #1 ranked national championship contender is replaced by a dude coming back from career-threatening ACL surgery? Good luck to that young man, but I don't think so. What does Andrew have to do to get some respect? These preseason polls can be, often are, just . . . comical.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by upan8th View Post
                          So . . . where's Nemhard? An ultra-savvy, well-seasoned, team leader, starting point guard on a consensus pre-season #1 ranked national championship contender is replaced by a dude coming back from career-threatening ACL surgery? Good luck to that young man, but I don't think so. What does Andrew have to do to get some respect? These preseason polls can be, often are, just . . . comical.
                          Score more. If he averaged 15 ppg he’d be on the list. Instead he’ll be ridiculously steady and guide the #1 offense yet again. I’m really excited to watch him at the point. He won’t have the jaw-dropping plays Suggs had, but every game he has 1-2 passes that I have to rewind and watch again.

Comment

• upan8th
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Not sure there are enough points to go around for Andrew to get 15 a game. How 'bout 13 points, top three in the country in assists, and six boards pg? Ah, well, as they say, it's not how you start, but how you finish that matters. Looking for all WCC, all West Coast, and 2d or 3d team AA for Andrew by the time all's said & done.

Comment

• StatZag
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2020

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              Head to head, Chet outplayed him. That should count the most, in my opinion.
                              In what context did these 2 match up and when did Chet best Paolo?

Comment

Working...
                              X