Thread: AP Pre-Season Top-25 Women's College Basketball Poll

Default AP Pre-Season Top-25 Women's College Basketball Poll

Here you go Lady Zag fans.

You have to look long and hard to find the single (yup just one) non-P-5 team in the Top-25 (Check out #21).

South Carolina Gamecocks Atop AP Pre-Season Women's College Basketball Poll Again; UConn Huskies No. 2
    Associated Press

CONFERENCE WATCH

The Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC each have five ranked teams, tops in the nation.

Joining No. 4 Maryland, No. 8 Indiana, No. 9 Iowa and No. 11 Michigan is No. 17 Ohio State for the Big Ten.

In the Pac-12, No. 3 Stanford is joined by No. 10 Oregon, No. 14 Oregon State, No. 20 UCLA and No. 22 Arizona.

The ACC has No. 5 NC State, No. 6 Louisville, No. 16 Florida State, No. 17 Georgia Tech and No. 24 Virginia Tech.

The SEC has four teams, with No. 13 Kentucky, No. 15 Tennessee and No. 23 Texas A&M joining top-ranked South Carolina. The Big 12 also has four programs ranked, led by No. 7 Baylor with new head coach Nicki Collen. The Bears are joined by the Cyclones, No. 19 West Virginia and No. 25 Texas.

The only non-Power 5 team in the poll is No. 21 South Florida out of the American Athletic Conference.
    You can see the entire list and read the article here: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...n-huskies-no-2

It is going to be a long road to hoe for the 2021-2022 Lady Zags.

ZagDad

As young and lacking in D1 experience as this years team is… and coupled with last years first round lose, I wasn’t expecting much from the powers to be.
    GU WBB will get better as the season progresses… and hopefully makes the dance.
    Remember there are teams out there that brought back their seniors and I have to believe the poles will reflect that.

As for the P-5s…. If you want to sit a the big kids table, you need to play the big kids. With 3 P-5 teams in this years OOC schedule, it may give the powers to be a look at GU, but I think the team will need to go east to be considered a contender worthy of the top 25. Hopefully we see at least 5 P-5 teams in next years OOC.

Go Zags!!

I was not expecting the Lady Zags to be in the Top-25 for the exact reasons you stated; too many new, unproven players and the egg they laid in the NCAA tournament last year.

I was expecting somebody like BYU (or other mid-majors) who made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA (or further) and brings everybody back to be in the Top-25. But like most years, its all about the P-5 conferences to start the season and as they start to lose or beat up on one another and the stronger mid-majors keep winning, the mid-majors will fight their way onto the back end of the Top-25.

ZagDad

One of the polls I saw today, either AP or ESPN, listed all the teams that got votes. If I read it correctly, the Zag women were effectively ranked #26 - i.e., most votes outside the Top 25.

Checking out Charlie Creme's pre-season bracketology, it pretty closely matches the Top-25.

Of the non-automatic qualifiers (received an at-large bid) there are no mid-majors and the only two (2) at large teams that are not part of the P-5 conferences are Depaul and Marquette from the Big East.

In the WCC, the only team listed is BYU and they are listed as the automatic qualifier.

Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology

ZagDad