Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Sloot is a WNBA Champion!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,342

    Default Sloot is a WNBA Champion!

    Big 4th quarter comeback for the Sky today to take the series 3-1. Sloot was great all during the playoffs, shattered multiple records with her passing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Phoenix’s Diana Taurasi made a pair of free throws to cut the Mercury’s deficit to 76-74 with 42.3 seconds remaining, but Vandersloot made a turnaround jumper and then iced the win with a pair of free throws with 10.4 seconds to go.

    One of my all time Gonzaga favorites. Delight to watch her play. Heady passing skills. Unselfish.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,293

    Default

    Congratulations Sloot!


    But we don't play nobody.

  4. #4

    Default

    Flat out the best passer I've seen since '94 (when I started attending GU) - Mens or Women's.

    The best court vision and the best execution.
    History has its eyes on you.

    Sage of the GU Message Board

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Sue Bird said that Courtney's teammates make 71% of their shots following passes from her. She was very impressed with that stat. I loved watching her play at GU and love watching her play in the WNBA. And her wife, Ally Quigley, had a really impressive shooting game today. So happy for them both.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mom’s Basement
    Posts
    8,115

    Default

    Sloot was one rebound shy of a triple-double with 10 points, 15 assists, and 9 rebounds. Wow.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    When will they hang her jersey in the Kennel? Hopefully soon.

    ZZ

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    - down the stretch chicago's last 6 possessions, courtney dished out 4 assists, then made the last basket to go up by 4 with 15 seconds left, then drained two free throws when the game was no longer in doubt.

    - so glad for her and chicago. over the course of that series she averaged 11.5 points and 12.5 assist per game! she was robbed in not being given the MVP trophy.

    - side note, it is because of courtney that my wife and i started going to she her play at gonzaga and have been women's season ticket holders ever since her junior season.
    -

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,541

    Default

    "Vandersloot finished with 10 points and 15 assists."

    With a final of 80 points for the winning score, Vandersloot accounted for AT LEAST 40 of them (assuming none of her assists resulted in 3 pointers).
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - so glad for her and chicago. over the course of that series she averaged 11.5 points and 12.5 assist per game! she was robbed in not being given the MVP trophy.
    -
    Copper was very good during the series and throughout the playoffs. Either one was deserving of MVP. I'm glad they didn't give it to Parker for sentimental reasons (and no doubt she had a big impact on the series, but not more so than her 2 teammates).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    When will they hang her jersey in the Kennel? Hopefully soon.

    ZZ
    They still haven't? What are they waiting for? That's a no brainer if there ever was one.

    Iowa retired the jersey of their career leading scorer and rebounder, Megan Gustafson, the NEXT season after she graduated. That's a bit quick, but I don't understand waiting either. Every time I'm in Hec Ed and don't see Kelsey Plum's # hanging from the rafters, I just shake my head. It's been long enough for her, get it done.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    Flat out the best passer I've seen since '94 (when I started attending GU) - Mens or Women's.

    The best court vision and the best execution.
    I agree. I’m no expert but she always seemed the best to me. Amazing passing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Way past time to retire her GU jersey. She is GU through and through.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Retire.Her.Jersey.Now! Maybe I am missing an obvious someone here but has any GU grad ever had a more successful combined GU-professional career than Sloot (other than John Stockton)? She is the best of the best!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Retire.Her.Jersey.Now! Maybe I am missing an obvious someone here but has any GU grad ever had a more successful combined GU-professional career than Sloot (other than John Stockton)? She is the best of the best!
    To be fair, Stockton's jersey was not retired until he retired from the NBA. John retired in 2003 and the Zags retired his Jersey # in 2004.

    I am sure that Sloot will get her jersey retired very quickly after she retires from the WNBA which hopefully will not occur for several more years.

    ZagDad

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    When will they hang her jersey in the Kennel? Hopefully soon.

    ZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    They still haven't? What are they waiting for? That's a no brainer if there ever was one.

    Iowa retired the jersey of their career leading scorer and rebounder, Megan Gustafson, the NEXT season after she graduated. That's a bit quick, but I don't understand waiting either. Every time I'm in Hec Ed and don't see Kelsey Plum's # hanging from the rafters, I just shake my head. It's been long enough for her, get it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by StocktonZag View Post
    Way past time to retire her GU jersey. She is GU through and through.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Retire.Her.Jersey.Now! Maybe I am missing an obvious someone here but has any GU grad ever had a more successful combined GU-professional career than Sloot (other than John Stockton)? She is the best of the best!

    Courtney Vandersloot was the first Division I player, male or female, to have accumulated 2,000 points and 1,000 assists in a career.


    So why hasn't Gonzaga retired her jersey ?? Are they afraid to honor to an openly gay athlete ?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,656

    Default

    This otherwise great thread went woke in hurry.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    I am truly embarrassed by some people on this thread.

    Sloot being a women, being gay or any other ridiculous excuse some of you want to come up with has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with why her jersey has not been retired.

    Gonzaga has NEVER retired a player's jersey while that player was still active in professional basketball. Why would you expect GU to retire Courtney's jersey before she is finished with her WNBA and/or professional basketball career when they have never done that before.

    If more than a year passes after she retires and then GU has still not retired her jersey, then you can come out of the woodwork with your speculations.

    Jeez people, show a little class.

    There is a reason I reside on the Wbb side of this board.

    ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 10-18-2021 at 12:01 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pleasanton, California
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Courtney Vandersloot was the first Division I player, male or female, to have accumulated 2,000 points and 1,000 assists in a career.


    So why hasn't Gonzaga retired her jersey ?? Are they afraid to honor to an openly gay athlete ?

    Gonzaga will most likely retire Courtney’s jersey after she retires from the WNBA

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    That’s his sister
    Aha. I didn't know. It was a google response. Thanks. I deleted that post.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    I am truly embarrassed by some people on this thread.

    Sloot being a women, being gay or any other ridiculous excuse some of you want to come up with has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with why her jersey has not been retired.

    Gonzaga has NEVER retired a player's jersey while that player was still active in professional basketball. Why would you expect GU to retire Courtney's jersey before she is finished with her WNBA and/or professional basketball career when they have never done that before.

    If more than a year passes after she retires and then GU has still not retired her jersey, then you can come out of the woodwork with your speculations.

    Jeez people, show a little class.

    There is a reason I reside on the Wbb side of this board.

    ZagDad

    WELL SAID

    Amazing how such a positive, winning a title, turned so dark so fast.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,356

    Default

    Was always super impressed with how she played the game. Easily one of the best that ever has and ever will wear a Zags uniform. Congratulations!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    36

    Default Sloot is a WNBA Champion!

    Her number may not be retired “yet”. But I’m pretty sure that no one has worn that number since she left. So it may not be retired “officially” but the staff has not allowed anyone to wear it since.
    At least that’s how I see it. You can’t tell me no one that came to Gonzaga didn’t want to wear 21. Lol

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •