San Fransisco (!) #34
    BYU #38
    St. Mary's #42
    LMU #69

Three more teams in top 150:

Santa Clara #124
    Pacific #127
    Pepperdine #147

Followed by San Diego at #180, with cellar-dweller Portland at #330. If these numbers are anywhere close to their actual performance this would have to be the strongest the WCC has ever been.

So basically when we beat these teams, we will win by 15 instead of 25. Hopefully, our bench players still get valuable playing time in the 2nd half of these games.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

And just for fun, here's every team!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    So basically when we beat these teams, we will win by 15 instead of 25. Hopefully, our bench players still get valuable playing time in the 2nd half of these games.
    With the number of newcomers we have this year I would not assume for a second we will run the table.

Also—if the WCC elevates itself as a conference it will help us win or lose. Let’s assume we do run the table. Wouldn’t it be more impressive to have done so with a legit WCC as our conference slate, as opposed to the opposite?

I think it would be great for Gonzaga and for our program if these numbers hold this year and it’s nothing to sneeze at. We have been pushing for our conference brethren to step up and get better for years. It appears if may be happening at Peppl and USF. And everyone outside of Portland is appearing to be at least semi-legitimate.

These are good developments and nothing to be dismissed.

North Carolina, Louisville, Oregon and Virginia not ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    North Carolina, Louisville, Oregon and Virginia not ranked.
    Wild

2021. 2022.
    1 Gonzaga. 1 Gonzaga
    20 BYU. 34 USF
    75 SMC. 38 BYU
    90 Pepperdine. 42 SMC
    93 USF. 69 LMU
    94 LMU. 124 SCU
    117 Pacific. 127 Pacific
    145 SCU. 147 Pepperdine
    195 USD. 180 USD
    321 Portland. 330 Portland

Very similar to last season’s final KenPom.

Where is UDub?

Default UDub

Never mind, ....went and looked....#102, how do people think that will work out?

High or lower at year's end?

Averages:

Pac 12 61
    WCC 109.2 Bottom two teams really hurt us...WCC goes to 72.5 without them.
    Big East 59.4

Four OOC games vs teams 300 ranking or more. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Four OOC games vs teams 300 ranking or more. Ouch.
    Yep.

Man do I wish Gonzaga knew what they were doing.

Ouch.
    ------
    Edited to say last season the Zags played four OOC games vs teams 317 ranking or more. Yet somehow they managed to muddle their way to finishing 1st (out of 357 D1 schools) in the final KenPom of the year.
    Last edited by GoZags; 10-18-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Clarification vis a vis last season's KenPom

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Yep.

Ouch.
    ------
    Edited to say last season the Zags played four OOC games vs teams 317 ranking or more. Yet somehow they managed to muddle their way to finishing 1st (out of 357 D1 schools) in the final KenPom of the year.
    Just because the Zags schedule a loaded top of the slate doesn't mean their fillers have to be absolute jobbers.

Yep.

Ouch.
    ------
    Not the point. Playing against teams like that is no fun for fans or players. Paying for season tickets to watch glorified scrimmages?

Scheduling these games may be good for the progress of theteam, but scheduling more competitive games would still be good basketball wise and for the fans. Which would end up better for the program in the long run.

For me, those games are an opportunity to root for the deep bench guys.

How LUCKY are we!?

Seriously, we are the luckiest fans in college basketball. Underdog small school grows into a college basketball powerhouse. I have to pinch myself sometimes.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Yep.

Ouch.
    ------
    Always hyper-defensive. Not a good look, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Always hyper-defensive. Not a good look, IMO.
    Always taking every chance presented (or not presented) to take a shot. Not a good look, IMO.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Always taking every chance presented (or not presented) to take a shot. Not a good look, IMO.
    I guess if we manage to meet halfway, we’d have bliss.

Look guys. Neither of you are right. And neither wrong.

Jazz is correct that the choice to schedule the lesser OOC home games against the dregs of D-1 is lamentable. It doesn’t challenge our players; it is not entertaining, and it is disrespectful to the boosters and season ticket holders who have significantly supported this program financially.

At the same time, scheduling this way has not and will not hurt us in terms of competitiveness and winning. We’ve scheduled this way for at least a decade now, if not longer—a window of time that coincides with the best rise in terms of Gonzaga basketball, from a gritty underdog to a pain in the side of the blue bloods to almost a blue blood ourself now.

I expect this year to be no different. We will atone for the scheduling of home games against Merrimack, Tarleton State and Bellarmine by playing Duke, Alabama, Texas Tech etc outside of Spokane. We will romp through the WCC like Sherman through Georgia and we will begin the tournament as the overall #1 seed most likely. We may even win the title and achieve that last unrealized program hurdle.

And when all of that happens, it won’t invalidate Jazz’s point that this kind of scheduling is indefensible. We have the reputation, the resources, and the ability to do better by not scheduling OOC games outside the top 200 or 250 of Kenpom.

Scheduling the dregs for these early home games is a willful choice Gonzaga is making. It doesn’t have to be this bad.

I happen to disagree with Gonzaga’s choice in this regard because I happen to feel that we are better than this. I respect those who disagree with me.

But ultimately I still expect another FF run and by March none of this will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    How LUCKY are we!?

Seriously, we are the luckiest fans in college basketball. Underdog small school grows into a college basketball powerhouse. I have to pinch myself sometimes.
    Hockeyzag you hit the nail on the head.
    When the topic of the zags rolls into my mind, its a TOTALLY good feeling!!
    appreciation and gratitude

Yep.

Ouch.
    ------
    Lolol. I think Gonzaga knows what it’s doing. 4 tuneups is good. Not to sidewipeJazz but jeez. Is t the proof in the puddin.?? but why take shots. It’s uncanny.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 10-18-2021 at 05:33 PM.

See below (double post)
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Maybe with all the new players, a chance to learn the systems and develop with some playing time is better than playing more experienced and the best players on another team. Also helpful for the coaching staff to determine who starts and who comes in later.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher