San Fransisco (!) #34
    BYU #38
    St. Mary's #42
    LMU #69

Three more teams in top 150:

Santa Clara #124
    Pacific #127
    Pepperdine #147

Followed by San Diego at #180, with cellar-dweller Portland at #330. If these numbers are anywhere close to their actual performance this would have to be the strongest the WCC has ever been.

So basically when we beat these teams, we will win by 15 instead of 25. Hopefully, our bench players still get valuable playing time in the 2nd half of these games.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

And just for fun, here's every team!

North Carolina, Louisville, Oregon and Virginia not ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    North Carolina, Louisville, Oregon and Virginia not ranked.
    Wild

2021. 2022.
    1 Gonzaga. 1 Gonzaga
    20 BYU. 34 USF
    75 SMC. 38 BYU
    90 Pepperdine. 42 SMC
    93 USF. 69 LMU
    94 LMU. 124 SCU
    117 Pacific. 127 Pacific
    145 SCU. 147 Pepperdine
    195 USD. 180 USD
    321 Portland. 330 Portland

Very similar to last season’s final KenPom.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    So basically when we beat these teams, we will win by 15 instead of 25. Hopefully, our bench players still get valuable playing time in the 2nd half of these games.
    With the number of newcomers we have this year I would not assume for a second we will run the table.

Also—if the WCC elevates itself as a conference it will help us win or lose. Let’s assume we do run the table. Wouldn’t it be more impressive to have done so with a legit WCC as our conference slate, as opposed to the opposite?

I think it would be great for Gonzaga and for our program if these numbers hold this year and it’s nothing to sneeze at. We have been pushing for our conference brethren to step up and get better for years. It appears if may be happening at Peppl and USF. And everyone outside of Portland is appearing to be at least semi-legitimate.

These are good developments and nothing to be dismissed.

What caliber of opponents will satisfy the mob? Is there a difference between #150 and #300 when Gonzaga is favored by 25-40.

Look at every other top program and you will see similar schedules. Scheduling top #25 programs each season requires leaving dates available. Yes some games are set in advance but others pop up and are taken.

I'm assuming these remaining open spots are probably tough to fill with teams with only specific dates available.

I'd rather play UCLA and Alabama with the fill in teams than 5 top #100 programs.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    What caliber of opponents will satisfy the mob? Is there a difference between #150 and #300 when Gonzaga is favored by 25-40.

Look at every other top program and you will see similar schedules. Scheduling top #25 programs each season requires leaving dates available. Yes some games are set in advance but others pop up and are taken.

I'm assuming these remaining open spots are probably tough to fill with teams with only specific dates available.

I'd rather play UCLA and Alabama with the fill in teams than 5 top #100 programs.
    Yes there is a difference between 150 and 300+. A huge difference.

There is no “mob” here either.

The issue isn’t the scheduling of the top teams in OOC. That’s been fantastic.

The issue is specifically home games. Gonzaga gets one, maybe two decent opponents a year in the Kennel in OOC. This year it is 1: Texas. Fine. I get that we can’t always do home and homes with top 25 teams for all OOC slots.

The issue is what teams you choose to play in the non-elite OOC home slots. I’d respectfully suggest we could play either 1) opponents in the Kenpom 75-250 range, or 2). Local teams like WSU, Oregon State, Utah from the PAC 12 or even Boise State, etc—something with regional interest.

Any of these would be a better use of those OOC slots than just paying Tarleton State to show up and have their head handed to them. And yes they’d put up a much better fight and provide better competition for us than 300+ teams ever will.

Reasonable people can disagree on this point but to call anyone who is against playing the dregs of D1 a “mob” is a bit much…..

I'm sorry 229. I'll retract "Mob". I didn't realize it was so hurtful. I'll try to be more thoughtful in future posts. My intention was not meant that way.

I agree with wanting better games throughout. I was just sharing my opinion. I feel these games with the schools you mention are much more difficult to scedule than you make it sound when leaving gaps to pick up the important OOC games required to build a resume for March selection.

Seems to me that "mob" may be a bit much, but "dregs" of D1 is equally disrespectful, and "have their head handed to them" is just about as condescending as you can get. Tarleton State knows who they're playing, agreed to do so, and I bet their players will tell their friends and family that they played powerhouse Gonzaga when in college. The visiting team won't neccessarily consider it the ultranegative experience described.

I absolutely wish there was an effective way to get selected game tickets (e.g. from disinterested ticket holders) to others less fortunate who really want to attend, fill all seats, and root for the Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by zagmeister View Post
    Seems to me that "mob" may be a bit much, but "dregs" of D1 is equally disrespectful, and "have their head handed to them" is just about as condescending as you can get. Tarleton State knows who they're playing, agreed to do so, and I bet their players will tell their friends and family that they played powerhouse Gonzaga when in college. The visiting team won't neccessarily consider it the ultranegative experience described.

I absolutely wish there was an effective way to get selected game tickets (e.g. from disinterested ticket holders) to others less fortunate who really want to attend, fill all seats, and root for the Zags!

Zags Smoke Tareyton? While many Zag fans will relish the contests, I doubt most of the opposing players will enjoy getting routed in what they know is clearly a paid for game by their institution, the CBB equivalent of the Squid Game.

Advocating for what opposing players want....ok......

Some opposing players may circle this date on their calendar as the biggest game of their basketball career -- being able to match up against the #1 team in the country-- in an amazing arena -- in front of an amazing crowd ---- with a glass half full.

The cheese and crackers are in the mail for ya jazz to go with that glass half empty of whine.......carry on.

Serious question: Is anyone actually legitimately excited to see us blow the likes of Dixie State and Merrimack to smithereens?

I ask because I don’t get it. The games are so lopsided they are boring. The games do nothing for our tournament profile and in fact hurt the profile.

Wouldn’t you rather see us play WSU again for the local interest, or even Montana or Idaho or Eastern?

One can be very supportive of the program and one can appreciate and laud and express gratitude for what the program has done and become—while still, at the same time, finding these games to be unpalatable and beneath the dignity of Gonzaga basketball.

Our OOC games are rare precious commodities given our rise. You are correct that the players at Tarleton State are circling the date they play the #1 team in the nation and preseason odds-on favorite to win it all.

My point is that the players and coaches from literally ANY school in the 75-200 Kenpom range would almost certainly feel the same way about a chance to play the top team in America.

We are better than this people. Fitzgerald isn’t the coach anymore; we aren’t still hosting the “Shootout Spokane,” and we are no longer hoping to make the WCC tournament final so we can get on ESPN once a year.

We often see debated here whether or not we are an elite program. Whether we truly are or not I will not venture; what I would respectfully suggest is that it is high time we start acting like one. We can do better here with this 4-6 game subset of our OOC schedule. And given our position in the WCC, we need to. We aren’t Syracuse; we can’t blithely squander OOC dates on the calendar by later relying on an ACC schedule, for example, to provide good competition and good value to the students and season ticket holders at home. We only have flexibility to do that in OOC scheduling and we are not taking advantage where we should.

Since we can do better, we should do better, and we should not accept anything less just because we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Advocating for what opposing players want....ok......

Some opposing players may circle this date on their calendar as the biggest game of their basketball career -- being able to match up against the #1 team in the country-- in an amazing arena -- in front of an amazing crowd ---- with a glass half full.

The cheese and crackers are in the mail for ya jazz to go with that glass half empty of whine.......carry on.
    Always so intolerant of a less than delusionally positive opinion.