Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: KenPom Pre-Season Rankings Revealed

  1. #26

    Default

    What caliber of opponents will satisfy the mob? Is there a difference between #150 and #300 when Gonzaga is favored by 25-40.

    Look at every other top program and you will see similar schedules. Scheduling top #25 programs each season requires leaving dates available. Yes some games are set in advance but others pop up and are taken.

    I'm assuming these remaining open spots are probably tough to fill with teams with only specific dates available.

    I'd rather play UCLA and Alabama with the fill in teams than 5 top #100 programs.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    What caliber of opponents will satisfy the mob? Is there a difference between #150 and #300 when Gonzaga is favored by 25-40.

    Look at every other top program and you will see similar schedules. Scheduling top #25 programs each season requires leaving dates available. Yes some games are set in advance but others pop up and are taken.

    I'm assuming these remaining open spots are probably tough to fill with teams with only specific dates available.

    I'd rather play UCLA and Alabama with the fill in teams than 5 top #100 programs.
    Yes there is a difference between 150 and 300+. A huge difference.

    There is no “mob” here either.

    The issue isn’t the scheduling of the top teams in OOC. That’s been fantastic.

    The issue is specifically home games. Gonzaga gets one, maybe two decent opponents a year in the Kennel in OOC. This year it is 1: Texas. Fine. I get that we can’t always do home and homes with top 25 teams for all OOC slots.

    The issue is what teams you choose to play in the non-elite OOC home slots. I’d respectfully suggest we could play either 1) opponents in the Kenpom 75-250 range, or 2). Local teams like WSU, Oregon State, Utah from the PAC 12 or even Boise State, etc—something with regional interest.

    Any of these would be a better use of those OOC slots than just paying Tarleton State to show up and have their head handed to them. And yes they’d put up a much better fight and provide better competition for us than 300+ teams ever will.

    Reasonable people can disagree on this point but to call anyone who is against playing the dregs of D1 a “mob” is a bit much…..

  3. #28

    Default

    I'm sorry 229. I'll retract "Mob". I didn't realize it was so hurtful. I'll try to be more thoughtful in future posts. My intention was not meant that way.

    I agree with wanting better games throughout. I was just sharing my opinion. I feel these games with the schools you mention are much more difficult to scedule than you make it sound when leaving gaps to pick up the important OOC games required to build a resume for March selection.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Seems to me that "mob" may be a bit much, but "dregs" of D1 is equally disrespectful, and "have their head handed to them" is just about as condescending as you can get. Tarleton State knows who they're playing, agreed to do so, and I bet their players will tell their friends and family that they played powerhouse Gonzaga when in college. The visiting team won't neccessarily consider it the ultranegative experience described.

    I absolutely wish there was an effective way to get selected game tickets (e.g. from disinterested ticket holders) to others less fortunate who really want to attend, fill all seats, and root for the Zags!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagmeister View Post
    Seems to me that "mob" may be a bit much, but "dregs" of D1 is equally disrespectful, and "have their head handed to them" is just about as condescending as you can get. Tarleton State knows who they're playing, agreed to do so, and I bet their players will tell their friends and family that they played powerhouse Gonzaga when in college. The visiting team won't neccessarily consider it the ultranegative experience described.

    I absolutely wish there was an effective way to get selected game tickets (e.g. from disinterested ticket holders) to others less fortunate who really want to attend, fill all seats, and root for the Zags!

    Zags Smoke Tareyton? While many Zag fans will relish the contests, I doubt most of the opposing players will enjoy getting routed in what they know is clearly a paid for game by their institution, the CBB equivalent of the Squid Game.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    Advocating for what opposing players want....ok......

    Some opposing players may circle this date on their calendar as the biggest game of their basketball career -- being able to match up against the #1 team in the country-- in an amazing arena -- in front of an amazing crowd ---- with a glass half full.

    The cheese and crackers are in the mail for ya jazz to go with that glass half empty of whine.......carry on.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Serious question: Is anyone actually legitimately excited to see us blow the likes of Dixie State and Merrimack to smithereens?

    I ask because I don’t get it. The games are so lopsided they are boring. The games do nothing for our tournament profile and in fact hurt the profile.

    Wouldn’t you rather see us play WSU again for the local interest, or even Montana or Idaho or Eastern?

    One can be very supportive of the program and one can appreciate and laud and express gratitude for what the program has done and become—while still, at the same time, finding these games to be unpalatable and beneath the dignity of Gonzaga basketball.

    Our OOC games are rare precious commodities given our rise. You are correct that the players at Tarleton State are circling the date they play the #1 team in the nation and preseason odds-on favorite to win it all.

    My point is that the players and coaches from literally ANY school in the 75-200 Kenpom range would almost certainly feel the same way about a chance to play the top team in America.

    We are better than this people. Fitzgerald isn’t the coach anymore; we aren’t still hosting the “Shootout Spokane,” and we are no longer hoping to make the WCC tournament final so we can get on ESPN once a year.

    We often see debated here whether or not we are an elite program. Whether we truly are or not I will not venture; what I would respectfully suggest is that it is high time we start acting like one. We can do better here with this 4-6 game subset of our OOC schedule. And given our position in the WCC, we need to. We aren’t Syracuse; we can’t blithely squander OOC dates on the calendar by later relying on an ACC schedule, for example, to provide good competition and good value to the students and season ticket holders at home. We only have flexibility to do that in OOC scheduling and we are not taking advantage where we should.

    Since we can do better, we should do better, and we should not accept anything less just because we can.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Advocating for what opposing players want....ok......

    Some opposing players may circle this date on their calendar as the biggest game of their basketball career -- being able to match up against the #1 team in the country-- in an amazing arena -- in front of an amazing crowd ---- with a glass half full.

    The cheese and crackers are in the mail for ya jazz to go with that glass half empty of whine.......carry on.
    Always so intolerant of a less than delusionally positive opinion.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,894

    Default

    I agree Sinto. Most fans have little interest in seeing those blow outs.

    I always thought those games were more about Money. Am I wrong?

    The house is full and Zags don’t have to give up a home game next year…like Texas

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,837

    Default

    Agree w you 100% Sinto
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    8,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Serious question: Is anyone actually legitimately excited to see us blow the likes of Dixie State and Merrimack to smithereens?

    I ask because I don’t get it. The games are so lopsided they are boring. The games do nothing for our tournament profile and in fact hurt the profile.

    Wouldn’t you rather see us play WSU again for the local interest, or even Montana or Idaho or Eastern?

    One can be very supportive of the program and one can appreciate and laud and express gratitude for what the program has done and become—while still, at the same time, finding these games to be unpalatable and beneath the dignity of Gonzaga basketball.

    Our OOC games are rare precious commodities given our rise. You are correct that the players at Tarleton State are circling the date they play the #1 team in the nation and preseason odds-on favorite to win it all.

    My point is that the players and coaches from literally ANY school in the 75-200 Kenpom range would almost certainly feel the same way about a chance to play the top team in America.

    We are better than this people. Fitzgerald isn’t the coach anymore; we aren’t still hosting the “Shootout Spokane,” and we are no longer hoping to make the WCC tournament final so we can get on ESPN once a year.

    We often see debated here whether or not we are an elite program. Whether we truly are or not I will not venture; what I would respectfully suggest is that it is high time we start acting like one. We can do better here with this 4-6 game subset of our OOC schedule. And given our position in the WCC, we need to. We aren’t Syracuse; we can’t blithely squander OOC dates on the calendar by later relying on an ACC schedule, for example, to provide good competition and good value to the students and season ticket holders at home. We only have flexibility to do that in OOC scheduling and we are not taking advantage where we should.

    Since we can do better, we should do better, and we should not accept anything less just because we can.
    My mother is….if game is 8 point spread at halftime she goes to bed as she cant handle the stress of close games……..
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Serious question: Is anyone actually legitimately excited to see us blow the likes of Dixie State and Merrimack to smithereens?

    I ask because I don’t get it. The games are so lopsided they are boring. The games do nothing for our tournament profile and in fact hurt the profile.

    Wouldn’t you rather see us play WSU again for the local interest, or even Montana or Idaho or Eastern?

    One can be very supportive of the program and one can appreciate and laud and express gratitude for what the program has done and become—while still, at the same time, finding these games to be unpalatable and beneath the dignity of Gonzaga basketball.

    Our OOC games are rare precious commodities given our rise. You are correct that the players at Tarleton State are circling the date they play the #1 team in the nation and preseason odds-on favorite to win it all.

    My point is that the players and coaches from literally ANY school in the 75-200 Kenpom range would almost certainly feel the same way about a chance to play the top team in America.

    We are better than this people. Fitzgerald isn’t the coach anymore; we aren’t still hosting the “Shootout Spokane,” and we are no longer hoping to make the WCC tournament final so we can get on ESPN once a year.

    We often see debated here whether or not we are an elite program. Whether we truly are or not I will not venture; what I would respectfully suggest is that it is high time we start acting like one. We can do better here with this 4-6 game subset of our OOC schedule. And given our position in the WCC, we need to. We aren’t Syracuse; we can’t blithely squander OOC dates on the calendar by later relying on an ACC schedule, for example, to provide good competition and good value to the students and season ticket holders at home. We only have flexibility to do that in OOC scheduling and we are not taking advantage where we should.

    Since we can do better, we should do better, and we should not accept anything less just because we can.
    I'd like us to play whoever the coaching staff and athletic director believe will be best in the marathon that is the season. If they want the 350th ranked team to come in and get beat by 80 to work on stuff they don't think they'd be able to try when beating the #150th ranked team by 25, that's fine with me if the goal is to create the best team in March and early April.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Clair, MO
    Posts
    9,633

    Default

    WE ARE MORE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ON THE LIST
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    17,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Serious question: Is anyone actually legitimately excited to see us blow the likes of Dixie State and Merrimack to smithereens?

    I ask because I don’t get it. The games are so lopsided they are boring. The games do nothing for our tournament profile and in fact hurt the profile.

    Wouldn’t you rather see us play WSU again for the local interest, or even Montana or Idaho or Eastern?

    One can be very supportive of the program and one can appreciate and laud and express gratitude for what the program has done and become—while still, at the same time, finding these games to be unpalatable and beneath the dignity of Gonzaga basketball.

    Our OOC games are rare precious commodities given our rise. You are correct that the players at Tarleton State are circling the date they play the #1 team in the nation and preseason odds-on favorite to win it all.

    My point is that the players and coaches from literally ANY school in the 75-200 Kenpom range would almost certainly feel the same way about a chance to play the top team in America.

    We are better than this people. Fitzgerald isn’t the coach anymore; we aren’t still hosting the “Shootout Spokane,” and we are no longer hoping to make the WCC tournament final so we can get on ESPN once a year.

    We often see debated here whether or not we are an elite program. Whether we truly are or not I will not venture; what I would respectfully suggest is that it is high time we start acting like one. We can do better here with this 4-6 game subset of our OOC schedule. And given our position in the WCC, we need to. We aren’t Syracuse; we can’t blithely squander OOC dates on the calendar by later relying on an ACC schedule, for example, to provide good competition and good value to the students and season ticket holders at home. We only have flexibility to do that in OOC scheduling and we are not taking advantage where we should.

    Since we can do better, we should do better, and we should not accept anything less just because we can.
    The positive side of these games it that they are the ones that tend to be unavailable on TV for me. I would rather miss them than games of greater interest.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    The positive side of these games it that they are the ones that tend to be unavailable on TV for me. I would rather miss them than games of greater interest.
    Kitz, you are so evolved.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    The positive side of these games it that they are the ones that tend to be unavailable on TV for me. I would rather miss them than games of greater interest.
    A bit Panglossian for my taste but I admire your approach….

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    A bit Panglossian for my taste but I admire your approach….
    Whatever gets us through those “contests.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •