Thread: Eastern Washington football

Default Eastern Washington football

Eagles are rolling along, improved to 7-0 today. Beat the hell out of Idaho. QB threw for 600 yards and 7 TDs. Those are video game numbers. A couple weeks ago they hung 34 points on the same Montana team that stonewalled UW. I'm about 75% convinced EWU is the best college football team in the state of Washington this season.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Eagles are rolling along, improved to 7-0 today. Beat the hell out of Idaho. QB threw for 600 yards and 7 TDs. Those are video game numbers. A couple weeks ago they hung 34 points on the same Montana team that stonewalled UW. I'm about 75% convinced EWU is the best college football team in the state of Washington this season.
    Their quarterback is amazing. I don’t think I have seen a better quarterback in the FBS ranks for this season.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Oops. EWU lost to Weber St. today 35-34. Weber was 2-4 coming into the game. I did not anticipate this. They were trailing 35-21, came back but a missed PAT bit them in the backside.

Was at the game and man EWU got outplayed on three fake punt attempts! Missing the extra point did not help but if they could have stopped those plays they may have not been down in the first place.

Griz 57 EWU 41

Weird game. Barriere had 80 passing attempts. 80! Is that some kind of record? Completed 47 for 530 yards and 5 TDs, but they still got whooped. Eags were up 21-13 early in Q2, before a couple late scores they were down 50-28 in Q4. EWU had more than double the yards from scrimmage as Montana.

I can't figure out why Montana and Montana St. both got byes and EWU didn't. They all had the same record in conference. All went 1-1 against the other 2. Seems like the Eags got screwed.

Weird game. Barriere had 80 passing attempts. 80! Is that some kind of record? Completed 47 for 530 yards and 5 TDs, but they still got whooped. Eags were up 21-13 early in Q2, before a couple late scores they were down 50-28 in Q4. EWU had more than double the yards from scrimmage as Montana.

I can't figure out why Montana and Montana St. both got byes and EWU didn't. They all had the same record in conference. All went 1-1 against the other 2. Seems like the Eags got screwed.
    Sac State also got a bye. Somebody had to get screwed, and the Griz have a large fan base with a great stadium. The teams place bids to host games and the Griz can bid a lot.
    I know that doesn't explain it all, and maybe not any, but as they say...GO GRIZ!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I coulda swore Montana St. had 2 losses, but I was wrong, only 1 (to Montana). Sacaramento St. won the Big Sky, undefeated, so no qualms about them getting a bye. EWU beat Montana earlier in the season. Maybe it was EWU's loss to Weber St. that bit them. Other loss was to Montana St. They didn't play Sacramento St. Montana lost to EWU and Sacramento St.

Sacramento St. only played 1 of Montana, Montana St. and EWU. Got away with a light conference schedule maybe?

Montana St. won today, Sacramento St. game is coming up. Big Sky guaranteed 2 and could have 3 of the remaining 8 teams.

Montana beat UW at UW. That was probably the tie-breaker between the three. MSU beat EWU head-to-head. That was probably the second tie-breaker.

The yardage differential doesn’t really reflect the tone of the EWU-Griz game. The Griz defense was really physical and was in the backfield all night long. The Griz blocked a punt that they recovered in the red zone. They had a pick-six, and recovered a fumble for 1st and Goal. Those became three quick scores that didn’t generate much yardage. The Eagles also failed to convert a couple of fourth down conversions that turned long drives into empty possessions.
    Last edited by Martin Centre Mad Man; 12-05-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Thanks Martin. I scoured the box score, I think they were missing some of the TOs, didn't see the blocked punt either. Yeah, that stuff can have a huge impact on a game. Looks like Montana had a lot of kick return yardage as well, that makes yards from scrimmage less necessary.

On that other part, yeah, but UW sucked! Their QB was absolutely the worst, and they stuck with him all year until the Apple Cup.