Thread: David Stockton Signs with Memphis Grizzlies

Default David Stockton Signs with Memphis Grizzlies

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    7m
    Memphis signs David Stockton. Grizzlies roster includes former Zags Clarke and Tillie

https://twitter.com/GrizzliesPR/stat...28953193631746

I remember watching David in his freshman year at the Kraziness in the Kennel scrimmage. He looked like a kid but he had total confidence and was flying around at 100mph. Who would have ever guessed he would still be bouncing around the league all these years later. Heart of a Champion.
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Nice, congrats! Wonder if it's a guaranteed deal, two-way, etc. Didn't see much else out there.

Unfortunately, Lakers just cut Ayayi after and abysmal summer league/pre-season.

Poor Joel. I was following Joel. Did a very insignificant preseason. David has just kept at it. Great kid and I hope he sticks

David really is an incredible story. He may have gotten a couple opportunities because of his dad, the Jazz 10 days, but the majority is just him grinding and becoming a very good player. Really cool to see and he’s actually good. I don’t know if it’s NBA good, but he’s a good player.

Every month or even couple weeks on an NBA roster is huge financially. Hope there’s a fit in Memphis.

Today, Memphis waived Stockton. I don't really understand why you would sign him yesterday and waive him today...but that's why they get the big bucks.

October 16, 2021 Waived Gs Kris Dunn and David Stockton and F Matt Hurt.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Today, Memphis waived Stockton. I don't really understand why you would sign him yesterday and waive him today...but that's why they get the big bucks.

October 16, 2021 Waived Gs Kris Dunn and David Stockton and F Matt Hurt.
    The Exhibit 10 sign then immediately waive is a method to claim and assign a player to your G-League team (and spiff the player a few extra bucks). Many teams do this to build out their G-League team and too make sure they own that players G-League rights. There were dozens of these at the end of training camps this season. The salaries are pitiful in the G-League for typical players (37K per season) and this allows the club to throw an extra 50K (or more) to the player as a way to keep them out of poverty. David is a good enough veteran point guard that the Grizz want him to manage the team and help the younger prospects. David is not a very good player and that's why he can't keep a pro contract in a decent competitive league in Europe or Asia (his brother has had a far better career). People here over rate David because he has gotten a few 10 day contracts in the NBA - but those opportunities only fall into his lap because he is available sitting in the G making 37K a year. All the decent players are locked into contracts abroad, making real money and cant join the NBA midseason. The G is a development league for young players. The only guys over 24-25 in that league are the ones who aren't good enough for the decent money European leagues or refuse to let go of their NBA dream. Some that don't give up do get that call up from time to time and if they can even string together a few 10 day contracts they may even may more than they would have with a season in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    David really is an incredible story. He may have gotten a couple opportunities because of his dad, the Jazz 10 days, but the majority is just him grinding and becoming a very good player. Really cool to see and he’s actually good. I don’t know if it’s NBA good, but he’s a good player.

Every month or even couple weeks on an NBA roster is huge financially. Hope there’s a fit in Memphis.
    Not that incredible. He just has the family financial backing to sit in the G-League (a development league) as a 30 year old making a pittance. While others have real pro contracts making real money in Europe, he gets to hang out helping develop the kids and be available for the odd injury or tank driven call up. He was cut midseason from the NBL (Australia), BBL (Germany) and ABA (Croatia) - that should be enough to help you zone in on his actual bball competency. Not a terrible player by any means, but he is no where near an NBA player.

EDIT: He wasn't cut mid-season by Medi Bayreuth in the German BBL (2018/19) - he did miss a bunch of games midseason though (injury maybe?). He put up 10pts, 4a on decent shooting. Ok stats that would have gotten him another season if he was a domestic player, but the imports are expected to carry a team. The BBL is a secondary domestic league in Europe and I doubt his pay rate was too much more that what 1 single 10-day contract in the NBA (plus G-League salary) pays - ~100K-150K?. Keep in mind a player of Kevin Pangos' or NWG caliber is making $1.5-3MM per year in Europe.
    Last edited by Mojo13; 11-02-2021 at 03:49 PM.