Thread: Fanning The Flames - Big East Expansion

Hybrid View

Default Fanning The Flames - Big East Expansion

From Dana O'Neil twitter:

Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman told The Athletic that with the FOX deal expiring in 2025, she will ask her presidents to at least examine expansion. "That's in the back of our minds,'' she said. "What school helps with our basketball aspirations?"
    https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/...629804034?s=20

Asked about going national, and perhaps eyeing a certain Catholic school in Spokane, Ackerman said, "nothing is crazy in this environment but we're also mindful of details, like travel and logistics. Geography is not insurmountable, but it's kind of high on the list.''
    https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/...400859651?s=20

<Bulging Emoji Eyes>

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Flame dampened, if not extinguished.

Dayton or Saint Louis would be my guess if they add 1 team to get to 12: Catholic, decent size, nice arenas, solid teams, within the geographic footprint of the Big East already. It would be nice if there were a few teams in the Pacific or Mountain time zones that the BE would be interested in to join with Gonzaga, but I can’t think of any they would want.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Dayton or Saint Louis would be my guess if they add 1 team to get to 12: Catholic, decent size, nice arenas, solid teams, within the geographic footprint of the Big East already. It would be nice if there were a few teams in the Pacific or Mountain time zones that the BE would be interested in to join with Gonzaga, but I can’t think of any they would want.
    The Continental Divide is a very high bar for effete East coasters. I biked it over McDonald Pass into Helena in June….the wind howled, temperature dropped and it snowed sideways. Got hypothermia. One of the fun days of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The Continental Divide is a very high bar for effete East coasters. I biked it over McDonald Pass into Helena in June….the wind howled, temperature dropped and it snowed sideways. Got hypothermia. One of the fun days of my life.
    It’s always gotta be about you, doesn’t it Jazz……?

Typical effete East coaster….biking it in June.

Real men bike that in March or October.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    It’s always gotta be about you, doesn’t it Jazz……?

Typical effete East coaster….biking it in June.

Real men bike that in March or October.
    Probably warmer.

Did you stop at Frontier Town?

If the money is there, details get worked out. Familiar line which has been true for years. It’s true today.

Lived in Helena for three years. We had 42 below ambient the second month we were there and I spent the night in a blizzard when I hit a white out on top of McDonald pass and went off the edge down the mountain into a 15 foot deep snow bank. I had just asked a Montana Highway Patrol officer in Lincoln at a gas station if I would be ok going over the pass as it started snowing pretty hard there. He said "Oh sure, you'll be fine" NOT! 12 hours worrying if I would suffocate from carbon monoxide or freeze to death. Nice night that was. A snow plow spotted my flashing lights at 7:30 AM and called for a wrecker for me. Another hour and a half and he finally showed. Spring is so unpredictable there at 4,200" elevation in Helena.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Lived in Helena for three years. We had 42 below ambient the second month we were there and I spent the night in a blizzard when I hit a white out on top of McDonald pass and went off the edge down the mountain into a 15 foot deep snow bank. I had just asked a Montana Highway Patrol officer in Lincoln at a gas station if I would be ok going over the pass as it started snowing pretty hard there. He said "Oh sure, you'll be fine" NOT! 12 hours worrying if I would suffocate from carbon monoxide or freeze to death. Nice night that was. A snow plow spotted my flashing lights at 7:30 AM and called for a wrecker for me. Another hour and a half and he finally showed. Spring is so unpredictable there at 4,200" elevation in Helena.
    Know the feeling. I ended up in a sag wagon, then at the Burger King trying to warm up. Ended up sleeping in a school down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Had never crossed that pass but from your description it was a pretty scary incident and glad you are here today to share...