Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fanning The Flames - Big East Expansion

[

If M and W bball go to BE, most of the sports could go to the Big Sky Conference or find some other landing spot - but where would men's soccer and baseball play?

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    [

If M and W bball go to BE, most of the sports could go to the Big Sky Conference or find some other landing spot - but where would men's soccer and baseball play?
    I believe it was 1995 Gonzaga played in PAC 10 for baseball

I dont know what the fix is. With conference affiliations happening if Gonzaga doesn't adapt we will take a hit, jmo. Times are changing and either we change with it or get stuck in the quick sand. No offense to the rest of the WCC, we've made some small improvements the last several years just not enough to keep the needle moving in the right direction.

To bad the Mountain West is not that appealing. With a couple additions say Saint Marys and Gonzaga that would bolster the depth of quality teams such as SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, Boise St...just spit balling.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I believe it was 1995 Gonzaga played in PAC 10 for baseball
    That'd be cool. Men's soccer could probably be easily invited as Pac 12 affiliate member like SDSU. Pac 12 men's has a full conference for baseball. That means baseball could be in BE or stay in WCC if WCC allows it.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I dont know what the fix is. With conference affiliations happening if Gonzaga doesn't adapt we will take a hit, jmo. Times are changing and either we change with it or get stuck in the quick sand. No offense to the rest of the WCC, we've made some small improvements the last several years just not enough to keep the needle moving in the right direction.

To bad the Mountain West is not that appealing. With a couple additions say Saint Marys and Gonzaga that would bolster the depth of quality teams such as SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, Boise St...just spit balling.
    Yeah the MWC would be a good fit; the problem is you can't trust league stability right now. It is quite possible that San Diego St. & Boise St. are gone the next time the bigwigs start poaching teams. I used to be a big proponent of going to the MWC but it would be bad for the Zags if the conference identity was constantly shifting. The Big East checks all the boxes - stability, quality opponents, increased revenue, University mission fit - except travel/logistics, but I am sure that that can be ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yeah the MWC would be a good fit; the problem is you can't trust league stability right now. It is quite possible that San Diego St. & Boise St. are gone the next time the bigwigs start poaching teams. I used to be a big proponent of going to the MWC but it would be bad for the Zags if the conference identity was constantly shifting. The Big East checks all the boxes - stability, quality opponents, increased revenue, University mission fit - except travel/logistics, but I am sure that that can be ironed out.
    That 3 pod proposal is pretty brilliant and should make travel a non issue. Marginally worse than now. Creative scheduling, split the east coast swings out between early Dec and end of conference play, play a conference game as first game of season vs Villanova on the road in Nov etc. Lots of ways to make those east coast swings exciting, group 2 or 3 games together over a week long period, etc. No brainer so long as other sports have a respectable place to play.

In the OOC the Zags travel widely now, with a BE affiliation those trips can be replaced with shorter, largely west coast games. Seems a good trade off on tire wear.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    In the OOC the Zags travel widely now, with a BE affiliation those trips can be replaced with shorter, largely west coast games. Seems a good trade off on tire wear.
    100% this. To be fair it seems like Few has cut down on OOC travel a lot recently anyway; weren't people griping this season how the team has no true OOC road games?

I’m not as sold that a change is needed, for the reasons CDC stated. However, my fear has always been that when few leaves if the program takes a slide, it’s much more difficult to recover in the WCC.

100% this. To be fair it seems like Few has cut down on OOC travel a lot recently anyway; weren't people griping this season how the team has no true OOC road games?
    If by recently you mean this year, you are right. Last year started on the East Coast and migrated to mid America,
    Last edited by willandi; 10-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

FWIW: Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson gave a radio interview to Boise's KTIK - FM in which he said "Conversations with Gonzaga basketball are not dead." Theo Lawson posted that tid bit on his twitter feed.

The interview is archived here: https://www.ktik.com/2021/10/15/crai...ga-basketball/

No. People were griping that the team has only one true OOC home game (Texas) but that’s another topic.

Am I the only one who is thinking about how joining the BE would likely change tipoff times for a significant portion of the schedule which would quite possibly make it difficult for a lot of working fans to watch the games live? Sure, you can record it and watch it later. Bit that is not very appealing for the networks as most people fast forward through their revenue generating commercials. Plus, there's just nothing like watching it as it unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    FWIW: Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson gave a radio interview to Boise's KTIK - FM in which he said "Conversations with Gonzaga basketball are not dead." Theo Lawson posted that tid bit on his twitter feed.

The interview is archived here: https://www.ktik.com/2021/10/15/crai...ga-basketball/
    With all indications pointing to Boise St & SDSU looking for the first P5 offer to jump ship I really just don't see this happening anymore. It is Big East or bust.

With all indications pointing to Boise St & SDSU looking for the first P5 offer to jump ship I really just don't see this happening anymore. It is Big East or bust.
    Yep the WCC is more appealing if that's the case.
    America's Team!

I think that BSU and SDSU are not research schools; subsequently, the P-12 would not be picking them up...IF SDSU was a research school, then they would have been snapped up years ago and before UTAH as San Diego is a much larger TV market than SLC. The B12 would not have any interest in BSU but SDSU could have been but they were not chosen in their most recent additions...imo

Smile On my earlier list,...

...forgot the East Coast's sixth school, UConn. If we joined the Big East, we'd balance out the "westerly schools" as their division's sixth school.

The more I read this thread, the more I like membership in the Big East. Still a little skittish about several long hauls all the way to the Atlantic Ocean, but if (as suggested) we play a lot of nearby OOC opponents (please -- SMC, Pepp, USF, and BYU) then overall flying distance (yearly) may not be objectionable.

One question: Though not being the Big East's official network, doesn't ESPN still broadcast some Big East home games? (Thinking about the Big East's upcoming tv negotiations.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think that BSU and SDSU are not research schools; subsequently, the P-12 would not be picking them up...IF SDSU was a research school, then they would have been snapped up years ago and before UTAH as San Diego is a much larger TV market than SLC. The B12 would not have any interest in BSU but SDSU could have been but they were not chosen in their most recent additions...imo
    I believe there is actually a decent amount of interest in Boise St from the B12, at least based on what is rumored. You are right though about the Pac-12 not wanting SDSU; both schools would head towards that B12.

Boise St has been talked about with Memphis as the most likely next 2 teams for the Big 12, but I definitely can see Boise St being passed over again. They are not the perennial top 10 team they were a decade ago. Now they are in and out of the polls, usually in the 20’s, and not off to a good start this year with a new coach. While Boise is growing, it still is a fairly small market and in Idaho. The stadium would be one of the smallest, if not the smallest stadiums in the Big 12. Memphis fits better geographically and has had recent success in football and is definitely hot right now in basketball. South Florida would be the other school I’d see as a threat for Boise St’s spot. Large school in a bigger market in a state everybody wants to recruit in. Natural rival for UCF. They are planning to build a new on campus stadium, meanwhile playing in the Buccaneers home. In a couple years I see them as being a more appealing expansion option than Boise St. If the Big 12 adds 4 teams then I could see BSU and SDSU being next in line.

That is, indeed, a possibility. I have heard that the B12 could take 3 western teams to take travel pressure off of BYU. The conference is getting better and hopefully the coaching hires at UNLV, UNM and SJSU get those programs performing better. If y'all don't leave the WCC I'd love to see you schedule a home and away MWC team each year on a rotating basis with the better performing teams to replace the BYU games.

SDSU is a Tier II research school. With our west campus addition we hope to improve on that. Still, even if we were a Tier I school I doubt the California schools would want a CSU affiliate in their club. If the Big10 were to poach some PAC teams then it is possible that we'd get a look.

Quote Originally Posted by AztecDen View Post
    SDSU is a Tier II research school. With our west campus addition we hope to improve on that. Still, even if we were a Tier I school I doubt the California schools would want a CSU affiliate in their club. If the Big10 were to poach some PAC teams then it is possible that we'd get a look.
    When the PAC was the Pac-8, they passed on San Diego State which I thought was a shame...UCLA and UC Berkeley are state schools as well, so don't think that had anything to do with it...I do believe SDSU was not a research school and also maybe because there wasn't a traveling partner school at the time, which is why they picked ASU and UA...good traveling partners...jmho

When the PAC was the Pac-8, they passed on San Diego State which I thought was a shame...UCLA and UC Berkeley are state schools as well, so don't think that had anything to do with it...I do believe SDSU was not a research school and also maybe because there wasn't a traveling partner school at the time, which is why they picked ASU and UA...good traveling partners...jmho
    There’s a San Andreas Fault gap in every institutional metric between UCLA and Cal vs SDSU; then, now, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    There’s a San Andreas Fault gap in every institutional metric between UCLA and Cal vs SDSU; then, now, forever.
    jazz, I don't disagree but back in the day, when ASU and UA were picked SDSU was just as good a school athletically as was SDSU... and since all the other schools (except WSU) in the PAC8 were on the west coast, it would seem to the novice that SDSU would have been a good choice but alas little did I know then about the academics...something I was not too familiar with when I was in school at Freeport U by the Zoo...

jazz, I don't disagree but back in the day, when ASU and UA were picked SDSU was just as good a school athletically as was SDSU... and since all the other schools (except WSU) in the PAC8 were on the west coast, it would seem to the novice that SDSU would have been a good choice but alas little did I know then about the academics...something I was not too familiar with when I was in school at Freeport U by the Zoo...
    I’ve been here in paradise 30 years. Not a week goes by when someone with an SDSU affiliation doesn’t rue the barrier to PAC 10 entry that the Aztecs live with. Even the cute new stadium and campus expansion won’t lower that even an inch, IMO.