Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fanning The Flames - Big East Expansion

I’m not in California but I think it is a University of California system vs California State University system issue. Is that the problem Jazz? One thinks they are better than the other? They were fine with adding inferior academic schools in their eyes, as long as they weren’t Cal State schools.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I’m not in California but I think it is a University of California system vs California State University system issue. Is that the problem Jazz? One thinks they are better than the other? They were fine with adding inferior academic schools in their eyes, as long as they weren’t Cal State schools.
    Absolutely. Two different tiers, not unlike aggie/teacher colleges vs flagship research universities in half the states, including Washington, Oregon, Arizona, et al. They are inarguably better in Cali. What inferior schools? Colorado, Utah? No way. If you’re looking for an absurd addition, consider Rutgers to the Big Ten. But that conference already had its own weak academic outposts, like Izzo State and the Huskers.

Dated, but revealing.

http://universitybenchmarks.com/Big_..._Rankings.html

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    There’s a San Andreas Fault gap in every institutional metric between UCLA and Cal vs SDSU; then, now, forever.
    Different world...when I was attending UW back in the 70's they were getting 50 million a MONTH in research grants and contracts from the Feds, the State, Boeing, Microsoft, Harborview, .... can't imagine what that is now...there were more than a dozen employees making more than a million a year ....and not just Coaches or the Dean's of Law and Medicine ....

I had the strong impression that their mission was research and teaching was important....but not that important.. wining A Nobel Prize or some international prize was always possible...... I can't even guess what Stanford or Cal are getting for research ...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Different world...when I was attending UW back in the 70's they were getting 50 million a MONTH in research grants and contracts from the Feds, the State, Boeing, Microsoft, Harborview, .... can't imagine what that is now...there were more than a dozen employees making more than a million a year ....and not just Coaches or the Dean's of Law and Medicine ....

I had the strong impression that their mission was research and teaching was important....but not that important.. wining A Nobel Prize or some international prize was always possible...... I can't even guess what Stanford or Cal are getting for research ...
    A lot more. Not for nothing is Stanford the very best school in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post

For the 2020-21 academic year, 22 UW graduate and undergraduate students received Fulbright awards. The UW receives more federal research dollars than any other U.S. public university; in FY20, the UW received $1.63 billion in total research awards (federal and non-federal sources).

For the 2020-21 academic year, 22 UW graduate and undergraduate students received Fulbright awards. The UW receives more federal research dollars than any other U.S. public university; in FY20, the UW received $1.63 billion in total research awards (federal and non-federal sources).
    good partner for Gonzaga to have a medical school association with I guess )

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    When the PAC was the Pac-8, they passed on San Diego State which I thought was a shame...UCLA and UC Berkeley are state schools as well, so don't think that had anything to do with it...I do believe SDSU was not a research school and also maybe because there wasn't a traveling partner school at the time, which is why they picked ASU and UA...good traveling partners...jmho
    UC schools look down on CSU schools and our charter doesn't allow us to award doctoral degrees without partnering with either a UC or private school. We can do Phds in education and audiology without partnering I believe. When it comes down to it, no California school in the PAC is going to allow a CSU school in their club. I've been in both systems. This is especially true when it comes to the two LA schools who feel they control the San Diego market. As CSU schools go, SDSU is the most popular and most respected school in the system. With the new expansion we hope to increase our research capabilities while also increasing our enrollment to about 50K. We turn down some 85% of applicants each year right now.

I was a big fan of the idea of your school joining our conference. Y'all leveraged that for a better deal in your conference. No worries about that. good for you. I am also open to adding Wichita St. I do believe that the MWC is going to be a much stronger conference than the WCC sans BYU. Nevada, CSU and Boise have improved and we may have finally seen some good hires at at UNLV, UNM and SJSU. Maybe St. Marys will invest more into their program and Pepperdine seems to be trying. You guys have done great in growing your program and you are, clearly, the best in the West. If it wasn't for logistics, the BE is a perfect match for you. I'm sure they'd take you in a New York minute but would they take another WCC team to help with travel costs?

I still like the idea of us getting a home and away game each year if you don't replace BYU. Kind of a quasi conference type game rotating with the better MWC schools.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Yes, there is a difference. CSU schools are tasked to teach, you actually see full professors in your first couple of years. UC schools? Your professor might show up once in awhile in undergraduate courses but you will get instruction from a grad level student for your first couple of years. For an example, when I took a class in Calculus at UC Irvine the actual professor of that class spent less than 5 minutes if he showed up at all. He'd leave and then we would have to have to ask the grad student what we were supposed to learn. Once you get to upper division you may see more of a real professor. CSU schools can award PHd's but they have to do so partner with either UC or private school to do so. The CSU school awards the PHd and the partnering school just rubber stamps it. SDSU offers 28 doctoral degrees and 33 Master's degrees. I have spent time in both systems.

Absolutely. Two different tiers, not unlike aggie/teacher colleges vs flagship research universities in half the states, including Washington, Oregon, Arizona, et al. They are inarguably better in Cali. What inferior schools? Colorado, Utah? No way. If you’re looking for an absurd addition, consider Rutgers to the Big Ten. But that conference already had its own weak academic outposts, like Izzo State and the Huskers.

Dated, but revealing.

http://universitybenchmarks.com/Big_..._Rankings.html
    Thanks. I guess I was thinking more of ASU, comparing them to SDSU. They were ok because they were outside California. Arizona, Colorado, Utah are all AAU members and great additions.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. These Big East realignment threads are such a tease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. These Big East realignment threads are such a tease.
    it is a fun tease and personally I hope it does happen eventually. I want us to beat Nova every year! I am still pissed we lost to them last time at MSG and their fans were a bunch of babies especially when Zags fans like myself were rebutting their opinionated complaints in real time during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Something to read while we follow the team on ESPN game cast.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    it is a fun tease and personally I hope it does happen eventually. I want us to beat Nova every year! I am still pissed we lost to them last time at MSG and their fans were a bunch of babies especially when Zags fans like myself were rebutting their opinionated complaints in real time during the game.
    That game was not close.

The Continental Divide is a very high bar for effete East coasters. I biked it over McDonald Pass into Helena in June….the wind howled, temperature dropped and it snowed sideways. Got hypothermia. One of the fun days of my life.
    Lived in Helena for three years. We had 42 below ambient the second month we were there and I spent the night in a blizzard when I hit a white out on top of McDonald pass and went off the edge down the mountain into a 15 foot deep snow bank. I had just asked a Montana Highway Patrol officer in Lincoln at a gas station if I would be ok going over the pass as it started snowing pretty hard there. He said "Oh sure, you'll be fine" NOT! 12 hours worrying if I would suffocate from carbon monoxide or freeze to death. Nice night that was. A snow plow spotted my flashing lights at 7:30 AM and called for a wrecker for me. Another hour and a half and he finally showed. Spring is so unpredictable there at 4,200" elevation in Helena.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Lived in Helena for three years. We had 42 below ambient the second month we were there and I spent the night in a blizzard when I hit a white out on top of McDonald pass and went off the edge down the mountain into a 15 foot deep snow bank. I had just asked a Montana Highway Patrol officer in Lincoln at a gas station if I would be ok going over the pass as it started snowing pretty hard there. He said "Oh sure, you'll be fine" NOT! 12 hours worrying if I would suffocate from carbon monoxide or freeze to death. Nice night that was. A snow plow spotted my flashing lights at 7:30 AM and called for a wrecker for me. Another hour and a half and he finally showed. Spring is so unpredictable there at 4,200" elevation in Helena.
    Know the feeling. I ended up in a sag wagon, then at the Burger King trying to warm up. Ended up sleeping in a school down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Had never crossed that pass but from your description it was a pretty scary incident and glad you are here today to share...