Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fanning The Flames - Big East Expansion

Default Fanning The Flames - Big East Expansion

From Dana O'Neil twitter:

Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman told The Athletic that with the FOX deal expiring in 2025, she will ask her presidents to at least examine expansion. "That's in the back of our minds,'' she said. "What school helps with our basketball aspirations?"
    https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/...629804034?s=20

Asked about going national, and perhaps eyeing a certain Catholic school in Spokane, Ackerman said, "nothing is crazy in this environment but we're also mindful of details, like travel and logistics. Geography is not insurmountable, but it's kind of high on the list.''
    https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/...400859651?s=20

<Bulging Emoji Eyes>

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Flame dampened, if not extinguished.

Dayton or Saint Louis would be my guess if they add 1 team to get to 12: Catholic, decent size, nice arenas, solid teams, within the geographic footprint of the Big East already. It would be nice if there were a few teams in the Pacific or Mountain time zones that the BE would be interested in to join with Gonzaga, but I can’t think of any they would want.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Dayton or Saint Louis would be my guess if they add 1 team to get to 12: Catholic, decent size, nice arenas, solid teams, within the geographic footprint of the Big East already. It would be nice if there were a few teams in the Pacific or Mountain time zones that the BE would be interested in to join with Gonzaga, but I can’t think of any they would want.
    The Continental Divide is a very high bar for effete East coasters. I biked it over McDonald Pass into Helena in June….the wind howled, temperature dropped and it snowed sideways. Got hypothermia. One of the fun days of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The Continental Divide is a very high bar for effete East coasters. I biked it over McDonald Pass into Helena in June….the wind howled, temperature dropped and it snowed sideways. Got hypothermia. One of the fun days of my life.
    It’s always gotta be about you, doesn’t it Jazz……?

Typical effete East coaster….biking it in June.

Real men bike that in March or October.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    It’s always gotta be about you, doesn’t it Jazz……?

Typical effete East coaster….biking it in June.

Real men bike that in March or October.
    Probably warmer.

It seems more like, as far as the Zags go, the BE is flaming the fans.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    It seems more like, as far as the Zags go, the BE is flaming the fans.
    I dunno - Big East boards seems to think this thing has just a little more weight to it than usual:

Pretty breathtakingly direct remarks about GU's chances to get into the Big East:

http://adimeback.com/big-east-realig...aga-or-nobody/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

https://adimeback.com/big-east-reali...aga-or-nobody/

The geography is Gonzaga’s problem
    None of this is to say Gonzaga is a lock to join. The continental United States is big, and Gonzaga is on the wrong side of it. But that’s a Gonzaga problem: they’re the ones that will have to play half their basketball games 2500 miles away from home and answer a lot of hard questions about what to do with their other sports. Everyone else in the league just has to go west for basketball once. Yeah, it’s a long flight, but it’s only one, and on the other end of it you might have a Top 10 opponent on national TV. It’s a good deal. And the increased payouts from FOX and NCAA Tournament credits will be more than enough to cover trips for non-revenue sports. Is it ideal? Not at all, but it’s not a dealbreaker if you’re a current school.
    Yup yup yup. I'm telling you guys, this isn't some wishful thinking going on...

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Pretty breathtakingly direct remarks about GU's chances to get into the Big East:

http://adimeback.com/big-east-realig...aga-or-nobody/
    Lol we both posted this at the exact same timestamp

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Did you stop at Frontier Town?

If the money is there, details get worked out. Familiar line which has been true for years. It’s true today.

Would be very interesting to see what shakes out. As far as BBall goes, it would be a relatively easy decision, it's all the other sports that complicate things.

Only thing I would miss is getting to see some Zag games in SoCal...but that could all be irrelevant if I move back to NC.

Man, a dream conference. I think logistics for Basketball would get worked out. With that said, I don't see how we can navigate these waters with all other sports. Geographically I really can't make sense of it.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Would be very interesting to see what shakes out. As far as BBall goes, it would be a relatively easy decision, it's all the other sports that complicate things.

Only thing I would miss is getting to see some Zag games in SoCal...but that could all be irrelevant if I move back to NC.
    I am working things out to move back to the western end, somewhere in that 4 corner conjunction, hopefully before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Man, a dream conference. I think logistics for Basketball would get worked out. With that said, I don't see how we can navigate these waters with all other sports. Geographically I really can't make sense of it.
    Men's baseball and Women's volleyball are the only two of the eight sports that don't have a corresponding team of the opposite sex. If the other six sports could fly both teams back on the same flight, that would help.
    Spokane to LA is 2 1/2 hrs flight time, Spokane to Chicago (centralized for several of the BE schools) is 3 1/2 hours, to Newark is about 6 hours, so that would be the flight that really added on...but if each flight back played 2 of the schools, it would be six flights per season, per sport. Maybe some of the same season sports could even double up, 2 teams on each side so 4 teams all together...or maybe not. I'm not in logistics.

from message board someone playing it out

Val to FOX - What can you do to make this work?
    FOX to Val - Increased payouts and travel subsidies.
    Everyone - Deal.

Smile Hmmm...

I wonder what, if any, physiological and/or psychological effects those long flights (to and fro) would accumulatively have on team play. And how many times they'd have to take that long haul. (Maybe for each waaay-east trip, they could do a 3-game schedule -- like Thursday/Saturday/Tuesday -- thus cutting a couple waaay-east trips per season.)

The surprise fact from the article (to me) is that Zags Women's b-ball would instantly be the Big East's second best program. Playing bigger name schools in both men's and women's b-ball is enticing.

Zags recruiting has gradually risen and risen over time. Being able to add to an already attractive b-ball reputation (i.e. Big East affiliation) might push recruitment regularly into the Duke/North Carolina/Kentucky stratosphere. Would maybe boost our meager Seattle recruitment.

Would miss playing our WCC partners but, wow, playing a full schedule of Big East schools would be fun; and, of course, we could still schedule Saint Mary's, for instance, in our OOC.

Of course, not every trip east means East Coast...

Butler -- Indianapolis
    Creighton -- Omaha
    DePaul -- Chicago
    Xavier -- Cincinnati
    Marquette -- Milwaukee
    -------
    Georgetown -- Washington, D.C.
    Providence -- Rhode Island
    Seton Hall -- New Jersey
    St. John's -- Queens, NY
    Villanova -- Philadelphia

Still, those are long flights, which takes me back to the physiological/psychological effects. Would hate to be disadvantaged, lose close games off those effects.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post

Still, those are long flights, which takes me back to the physiological/psychological effects. Would hate to be disadvantaged, lose close games off those effects.

My flights in economy to Florida are long flights.
    My flights to Florida in first class are private time where I finish up work, catch up on some reading, or take a nap.

Good accommodations make all the difference.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    My flights in economy to Florida are long flights.
    My flights to Florida in first class are private time where I finish up work, catch up on some reading, or take a nap.

Good accommodations make all the difference.
    Thanks for the insight.

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

In the list above, the upper schools wouldn’t be overly challenging in terms of distance. I’ve done all of them from Spokane. Really not a lot more than a round trip to LA.
    When needed, ( mom got sick)I used to leave Spokane at 6am. Work by 930 and be on a plane coming back at 8 pm. Like the guys do now except they sit for a day when playing LMU. Remember those teams come to us half the time. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Thanks for the insight.

I'm glad it came through because you made it sound like riding in a chartered jet has negative physiological/psychological effects on players. The ones I have talked to enjoy the trips.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    In the list above, the upper schools wouldn’t be overly challenging in terms of distance. I’ve done all of them from Spokane.
    What means of conveyance? Wagon train?

Telling comment about Memphis. I guess it’s an open secret that Penny cheats. But with their academics, what’s the harm? They are ranked 249th among national universities by USNews