Thread: Dana O'Neil's 'The Program' on GU

Default Dana O'Neil's 'The Program' on GU

This is a really great preview of the squad for this season. Dana, as usually, gets great access to the coaches and players and gets a great take.

https://theathletic.com/2880346/2021...-inexperience/

She really focuses on how this team is different from last year's and what that means to the coaching staff.

“Stop. We gotta do this right.’’ Brian Michaelson wasn’t angry as he halted things in the middle of an early-season practice. Maybe a little exasperated but definitely not angry. The Gonzaga assistant coach took a breath and then patiently, even quietly, explained the adjustment — “You have to be on the X,’’ in this case — he wanted his players to make.

A year ago, almost to the day to be precise, at another practice, things didn’t really stop. Drills ran smoothly and quickly, the offense running so efficiently in October that it came as little surprise when the Zags started the season and just kept on winning. But now they stop and adjust and redo. “Incredibly different, night and day different,’’ head coach Mark Few says. “Just way more teaching going on. Last year, we could tinker around with stuff, throw it out the day of practice, change it during practice and they’d be fine. This year, you feel like you’re behind. I don’t know that we are, but you just feel it.’’

For those that don't get The Athletic, I again do endorse it. I get great enjoyment from reading it, and not just for GU.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    This is a really great preview of the squad for this season. Dana, as usually, gets great access to the coaches and players and gets a great take.

https://theathletic.com/2880346/2021...-inexperience/

She really focuses on how this team is different from last year's and what that means to the coaching staff.

For those that don't get The Athletic, I again do endorse it. I get great enjoyment from reading it, and not just for GU.
    Don’t expect us to be running out the gate like bulls. Too green for that. The best will show in March/April.

Last years offense ran like a Rolex....a beautiful thing.....

This time, I hope we become a defensive stalwart. Develop some tough kids who push back. I have no doubt we'll score like crazy this upcoming year. Give the ball to Chet, Drew, or thus and such and it'll be there. It's the defense and the toughness that get us a title. I hated....no really hated the way we got shoved around by Baylor at the end of last season. With this talent we have, I think we can go the distance this year. I'd like an undefeated season but it'll be hard with UCLA and the early games with Duke etc..Tex etc. Suggs was green too at the beginning but we had Corey and Joel.........

It may be true that this version of the Zags is starting a bit behind last year's team. However, there's more than a little coach speak here. Few isn't going to allow these guys to think they have it licked from the git. Sporting a preseason #1 ranking is more than a little dangerous with freshmen and transfers that are new to the system, but with Nembhardt and Timme leading they won't take long to get oiled up.