Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting/Concerning/Mind-boggling stat on Julian Strawther last year...?

Straw is not Ammo. Please donít put that on him.

This made me think about something.

When have we ever had a player who was a black hole on offense? Someone who just didn't pass the ball?

I feel like a player like that just wouldn't be put on the floor in Mark Few's offense. I've never really had that feeling about anyone and I've been a fan since the early 2000's.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    This made me think about something.

When have we ever had a player who was a black hole on offense? Someone who just didn't pass the ball?

I feel like a player like that just wouldn't be put on the floor in Mark Few's offense. I've never really had that feeling about anyone and I've been a fan since the early 2000's.
    Petrusev

Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    Petrusev
    Yeah.

The WCC POY could have had more assists.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Yeah.

The WCC POY could have had more assists.
    I mean he was a good player, but no doubt a ball hog.

According to sports-reference.com he is one of 2 starters (the other being Jr year Olynyk) with a usage percentage > 30% as far back as they track it (2006-2007). Conveniently donít have jr year Morrison, but the point still stands.

So Filip was literally more likely that any Gonzaga starter in the last 15 years to end a possession with a shot, turnover, or be fouled (aka not a pass).

And KO had an assist percentage >50% more than Petrusev in his high-usage season.

Ball hog is an interesting term, because shooting/scoring tends to to be the only singular role on a team that is stigmatized if done in isolation. If a guy shoots very little but has a ton of assists, we see that as being unselfish. If the reverse is true, it's often criticized. But on most teams, there are guys with diverse skills sets and guys who fill in a specific role. The latter is particularly true for guys who play very limited minutes. Last year Strawther was a guy who could and should put up shots in a hurry. This year I'm guessing he will be asked to do a lot more and will be able to do so as needed.

According to sports-reference.com he is one of 2 starters (the other being Jr year Olynyk) with a usage percentage > 30% as far back as they track it (2006-2007). Conveniently don’t have jr year Morrison, but the point still stands.

So Filip was literally more likely that any Gonzaga starter in the last 15 years to end a possession with a shot, turnover, or be fouled (aka not a pass).

And KO had an assist percentage >50% more than Petrusev in his high-usage season.

Interesting. Had no idea 'usage percentage' was even a stat. I'll have to check this out. Thanks.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

According to sports-reference.com he is one of 2 starters (the other being Jr year Olynyk) with a usage percentage > 30% as far back as they track it (2006-2007). Conveniently don’t have jr year Morrison, but the point still stands.

This is the kind of well researched answer I was hoping someone would post. Well done northside. Great info.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    This is the kind of well researched answer I was hoping someone would post. Well done northside. Great info.
    Thanks. Again, a great player. Just didnít pass the rock much.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Adam's assist numbers weren't that bad:

I actually did not notice that i misspoke when I said "(perhaps ammo asked to be an exception) when it came to the expectations on him to pass a lot. What I meant was perhaps ammo was asked to be an exception by the coaching staff. In Adam's podcast with Few a few months ago I thought I heard as much. My memory was that the coaching staff Adam's last year wanted him to shoot when he had an open shot, or if he had that feeling he could put it in. And I think ammo acknowledged that he knew he had a HUGE green light. You can be sure defenders tried to dbl team him a lot and he took advantage by dishing to open guys. His assist rate was higher than I had imagined.