Interesting/Concerning/Mind-boggling stat on Julian Strawther last year...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gozagswoohoo
    Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
    • Feb 2007

Interesting/Concerning/Mind-boggling stat on Julian Strawther last year...?

First off, I am simply pointing this stat out. I just found it incredibly interesting, and definitely a bit puzzling... PLEASE do not yell at me for posting this. Please do not cancel me, etc. It is simply a discussion point, and I would love everyone's input.

I am SO pumped about Strawther this year. So much so, that I was looking over his stats from last season. In doing so, I saw something...odd.... STRAWTHER HAD ONLY ONE ASSIST LAST SEASON. TOTAL.

25 games played.
    186 total minutes played.
    1 assist.

Oumar Ballo had THREE assists. lol.

I don't know what to make of this stat. In 186 minutes played, you should ACCIDENTALLY get more than one assist. lol

Thoughts?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    First off, I am simply pointing this stat out. I just found it incredibly interesting, and definitely a bit puzzling... PLEASE do not yell at me for posting this. Please do not cancel me, etc. It is simply a discussion point, and I would love everyone's input.

I am SO pumped about Strawther this year. So much so, that I was looking over his stats from last season. In doing so, I saw something...odd.... STRAWTHER HAD ONLY ONE ASSIST LAST SEASON. TOTAL.

25 games played.
    186 total minutes played.
    1 assist.

Oumar Ballo had THREE assists. lol.

I don't know what to make of this stat. In 186 minutes played, you should ACCIDENTALLY get more than one assist. lol

Thoughts?
    Think it was more a function on how he was factored into the offense in those minutes. If he's moving around looking to spot up then the assists aren't going to necessarily be there. Ballo was more in the paint and had higher potential of passing out from the post for the dime. Also, think a chunk of those minutes, especially early in the season, we garbage minutes where they were easting clock and not actively looking to score.

ETA... just shut this thread down mods... its been two whole posts.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Dishing dimes doesn't appear to be Julian's forte ... but his Senior year in high school he averaged 31.5 pts, 11.1 rebounds and 2.2 assists and 2.1 steals per game. BTW he became his schools alltime leading scorer and alltime leading rebounder.

I think he will be okay here.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post

I think he will be okay here.
        Oh yeah, for sure. I think Julian is gonna be an H of a player for us. Total stud. I LOVE what I saw in Kraziness.

I'm an assist-guy though. It's my favorite stat, and my favorite basketball play. So maybe that's why it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I don't know, even in garbage minutes, it just seems like you'd have more than 1 assist...186 minutes is quite a lot of time.

Comment

• scrooner
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

This is the knock I have on Kofi. Sure, he's a beast in the post, gets his points and rebounds, but 0.2 assists per 40?? There's gotta be some situations that are worth passing for.

Comment

• gueastcoast
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I think it's mostly a function of when those particular minutes were played, and who they were played with. He made the most of them but his role in those lineups was not to be a distributor.

As a high-rotation player I would expect that to change.
            Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• willandi
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

In addition to when the minutes were played, his role during those minutes...the player receiving the pass has to make the bucket to get the assist. It doesn't matter how pretty the pass was, how timely and ALL that, the player has to make the bucket to get the assist.
              Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• gueastcoast
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                In addition to when the minutes were played, his role during those minutes...the player receiving the pass has to make the bucket to get the assist. It doesn't matter how pretty the pass was, how timely and ALL that, the player has to make the bucket to get the assist.
                Good point!
                Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80
                  I’d bet he’ll be one of our top scorers by Christmas. 6 ft 7 in strong and athletic plus he not afraid of contact. Shooters like him are rare. He’ll be everything we want! Superior replacement for Cory!
                  100% agree. I really feel like Julian is going to DO and be just about everything for us.

Comment

• HenneZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2012

Small sample size. Let's see his game evolution with meaningful minutes.
                    America's Team!

Comment

• gu03alum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I think this has to be your first 1 star thread Woohoo. I will do my best to remedy this.

ETA:

Luckily it was only one crotchety vote for 1 star and my 5 star sent this thread to 3 stars
                      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                        I think this has to be your first 1 star thread Woohoo. I will do my best to remedy this.

ETA:

Luckily it was only one crotchety vote for 1 star and my 5 star sent this thread to 3 stars
                        I always know I can count on you!! Thanks buddy

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
                          Small sample size. Let's see his game evolution with meaningful minutes.
                          Oh, yeah, totally agree that he’ll be everything we want and more this year. I’m just saying, as a life long basketball player myself, it doesn’t matter if it’s a HS Districts championship, a church league rec game, a competitive division league at my local rec center…1 assist over that period of time is almost mind-boggling. You literally should LUCK into more than one! Haha. That being said, as a life long baller, with multiple types of games and experiences, I have never been in Strawther’s position. So, apples to oranges I guess. It just struck me as odd.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2009

Strawther’s passing looked pretty good at Kraziness.
                            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• zagfan1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

If Strawther can match Ayayi's production in some way I think this team will be really special. I am currently biased in my thought that I see Strawther playing a lot of minutes

Comment

Working...
                              X