• Show
Clear All
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Nembhard Watson Gregg Sallis Arlauskas

vs

Timme Holmgren Strawther Hickman Bolton

lets read into lineups for the scrimmage coaches usually spread out starters

Timme Nembhard Holmgren Watson Bolton..... 4 experienced players with 1 super frosh

otherwise we had Nembhard vs 4 starters...thoughts?

Comment

• maynard g krebs
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      Watson and Sallis compete for the 8th and last spot in the ro.
      Just read some of Athlon and Lindys yest. In an interview w/ Timme, he was asked which teammate he expected to step up this yr and surprise people. He named Watson, and said in his opinion Watson is the team's best defender.

Comment

• billyberu
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
        Just read some of Athlon and Lindys yest. In an interview w/ Timme, he was asked which teammate he expected to step up this yr and surprise people. He named Watson, and said in his opinion Watson is the team's best defender.
        Hasn't Watson always been one of our best defenders? He's only going to get better, IMO. It's his offensive game that has to make a leap for him to be an impact player. Another year removed from shoulder surgery and yeoman's work in the off-season should do wonders for Anton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
        Surfmonkey89

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
          Originally posted by billyberu View Post
          Hasn't Watson always been one of our best defenders? He's only going to get better, IMO. It's his offensive game that has to make a leap for him to be an impact player. Another year removed from shoulder surgery and yeoman's work in the off-season should do wonders for Anton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          Wasn't Watson working out with Timme last spring? It would, at the very least, smack of familiarity, to me.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

For me it is critical that Nemby become tougher as a player, more of a leader, and a more consistent 3 pt shooter. But in general, I agree.....he is being vastly underrated. Especially because he has Bolton and Hickman to back him for rest. He's not a PG who is going to have to play 37mpg. He can play off the ball as well.

Comment

• zag67
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

I would say with the amount of firepower that we have at the offensive end of the court, Watsons defense would be a super addition. So if he has improved his offense and can be a threat without the ball, then to me he will earn major minutes.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                I think its even more a case of playing 4 out with Timme down low. What the hell do opposing defenses do against that?? Timme is going to take you to the hole unless double-teamed and if he is there are 4 3pt shots on the perimeter waiting for a shot, with the potential for crazy penetration drives. Imagine some poor smuck forward guarding Holmgren on the wing when he decides to drive? LOLOL
                Agree w this take 100%. Starting Nembhard, Hickman. Strawther, Holmgren and Timme for a 1 in 4 out offense w Timme down low will be very hard to guard. Let Holmgren and Timme swap outside in now and again too as either can take a traditional big off the dribble.

Sub in Watson, Sallis, Bolton and move to full court pressing D w Watson up top, Chet at the back and one of Nembhard or Hickman staying in to run the point. OMG…salivating. Who knows, maybe Perry earns minutes as the post D shot blocker w the pressing D lineup and give Chet a rest too.

Gotta get Gregg minutes too somehow cause he looks ready…certainly on the offensive end. TBD defensively.
                Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Bogozags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2008

I like a line-up of Nembhard, Timme, Chet, Watson and Strawther or another Guard wither - Hickman/Bolton/Sallis.

Starting Watson ensures that Chet will be the SF and force opponents to start 3-bigs, which most teams cannot do...Then you have the 3-guards, Perry and Gregg coming off the bench...

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                    I like a line-up of Nembhard, Timme, Chet, Watson and Strawther or another Guard wither - Hickman/Bolton/Sallis.

Starting Watson ensures that Chet will be the SF and force opponents to start 3-bigs, which most teams cannot do...Then you have the 3-guards, Perry and Gregg coming off the bench...
                    This is my view and approach
                    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Sarenyon
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Still #1 in the AP Poll.

Amazing, still amazed at the level this program has achieved.

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• strikenowhere
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                        This is my view and approach
                        I am just so intrigued by the idea of starting the 3 bigs. A Holmgren/Watson/Timme lineup at the 3/4/5 would be light-years ahead of the last time we clamored for a 3-headed beast in Wiltjer/Sabonis/Karnowski. I hope we see this in some games early!

Comment

• sittingon50
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                          I am just so intrigued by the idea of starting the 3 bigs. A Holmgren/Watson/Timme lineup at the 3/4/5 would be light-years ahead of the last time we clamored for a 3-headed beast in Wiltjer/Sabonis/Karnowski. I hope we see this in some games early!

Light years ahead? Will respectfully disagree on that one, strike.
                          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                            Light years ahead? Will respectfully disagree on that one, strike.
                            Yeah, if it’s roughly the same Watson we saw last year (no offense intended), I’m not sure it’s superior.

Comment

• zagzilla
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

"Gonzaga was the preseason No. 1 a year ago and retained that ranking throughout the entire season, including the final rankings, which came before its eventual loss to Baylor in the national championship game."

That makes 18 consecutive polls at #1 and the 4th consecutive season GU has been ranked #1 at some point. A golden era indeed. Enjoy it while it lasts.

ZZ

Comment

• strikenowhere
                                Zag for Life
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                                Yeah, if it’s roughly the same Watson we saw last year (no offense intended), I’m not sure it’s superior.
                                Ok maybe "lightyears" ahead is a bit strong, but I definitely think current Holmgren/Watson/Timme would beat 2015-16 Wiltjer/Sabonis/Karnowski.

Comment

Working...
                                X