Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 "event" suspension

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Gregg and Hickman are ballers
    Both superior but the improvement in Gregg is amazing so far. Bigger, more adjusted athletic. He's worked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Both superior but the improvement in Gregg is amazing so far. Bigger, more adjusted athletic. He's worked for it.
    Gregg’s so composed and physically gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bing View Post
    OMFG

What possible “wound” could GonzagSauraesFlex have?
    Easy there, Bing. The “wound” is administration’s disingenuous scheduling of an unprecedented 2nd exhibition game so the suspension for 4 events can neatly conclude prior to Texas game. The salt is announcing this same day as Kraziness rather than a week or longer ago so this weekend’s focus could be on the players and the season ahead.

I’m here for all your reading comprehension needs moving forward. This one was not difficult to comprehend but since the scrimmage is not streaming now, I don’t mind connecting the elementary dots for you.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Check Twitter. It’s a national story.
    I found out reading the scroll on ESPN during the Ole Miss / Ark game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Now if that included NOT coaching at all until after the Dixie game....that would be different.

Am I the only one who remembers having 2 exhibition games EVERY YEAR until it was "allowed" to play another high level team in a scrimmage that doesn't count on your win / loss record? It's not like it's a bad thing to get a group of mostly 1st and 2nd year players used to playing an actual game instead of a scrimmage where the clock and substitutions are much less like a real game.
    Fyi, I take it to mean that a "basketball event" would also include a secret scrimmage. So what difference does it make if it's a cupcake game or a scrimmage other than actually giving the assistant coaches another chance to call the shots, aka practice being the head coach. Not a bad idea in my book in a season where Few could easily be sidelined due to covid19 protocol for who knows how long.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Am I the only one who remembers having 2 exhibition games EVERY YEAR until it was "allowed" to play another high level team in a scrimmage that doesn't count on your win / loss record? It's not like it's a bad thing to get a group of mostly 1st and 2nd year players used to playing an actual game instead of a scrimmage where the clock and substitutions are much less like a real game.
    Fyi, I take it to mean that a "basketball event" would also include a secret scrimmage. So what difference does it make if it's a cupcake game or a scrimmage other than actually giving the assistant coaches another chance to call the shots, aka practice being the head coach. Not a bad idea in my book in a season where Few could easily be sidelined due to covid19 protocol for who knows how long.
    Mixing Few up with the Wazzu football coach?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Easy there, Bing. The “wound” is administration’s disingenuous scheduling of an unprecedented 2nd exhibition game so the suspension for 4 events can neatly conclude prior to Texas game. The salt is announcing this same day as Kraziness rather than a week or longer ago so this weekend’s focus could be on the players and the season ahead.

I’m here for all your reading comprehension needs moving forward. This one was not difficult to comprehend but since the scrimmage is not streaming now, I don’t mind connecting the elementary dots for you.
    I will excuse your error filled post as I have to assume you are a new “fan” (or Johnny Come Lately) with your reference to “unprecedented” 2 exhibition games. I recall my season tickets having 2 exhibition games at least a dozen times. The last decade or so we didn’t get those as the “2nd” exhibition game was a “secret” scrimmage … which was usually finalized in August.

So. Please. Go ahead and lick your horrific, personal “wounds” … since you have no idea what you are talking about.
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Hi everyone!

If this was Duke and K, or KU and Self, or UK and Cal, or AZ with what's his name pre Tommy, I would call BS on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    Hi everyone!

If this was Duke and K, or KU and Self, or UK and Cal, or AZ with what's his name pre Tommy, I would call BS on this.
    On what, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    My God it's over the top. We have a legal system with penalties for such incidents. what have we all become!!!! I think I live in a world of wusses these days. How many nights have you all driven while drinking? In my case I could say many hundreds of times. Total the number who read this board and a million times wouldn't be out of line. Who's life could withstand such scrutiny? Oh Yeah, we didn't get caught. I would like to see this WOKE society spend more time on judging themselves and less time on judging others. What happened to forgiveness!!!!!, Lesson learned I'm sure. Get on with life. You can focus on happiness and joy or you can focus on shet. It won't say anything about Mark Few, but it will say a whole lot about you. Rant over.
    Well said

On what, exactly?
    The same as others, and if it was another program as previously mentioned, I expect many others here would too, including some not doing so now. You disagree with rhat?

So the team that everyone predicts to be the top team in all of cbb needs more practice games and to better prepare for top teams by playing central Washington junior college state? And the staff just figured this out the last few weeks that gaining more experience by playing cwjcs was the solution?

In other news I have some wonderful ocean front property in the sahara to offer you

The team scheduled another exhibition this year so few could serve a three “game” suspension, and be able to coach against Texas. It is slimy and it has nothing to do with being a “judge” or the legal side of this that is upsetting myself jazz or others. We expect better from the institution as a whole.

- so far as i know, nobody on the board is a Judge, yet everyone thinks they are or wish they were.
    - i'm most pleased with myself when i can avoid judgment.

The same as others, and if it was another program as previously mentioned, I expect many others here would too, including some not doing so now. You disagree with rhat?
    Of course I do. Especially the apologists.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    Respectfully, I suspect less than 1% of the fans who agree with this punishment or who don’t think the 2nd exhibition game was set in order to add an “event” just to suspend Few from another “event” would keep that opinion if this exact situation were Coach K, Calipari, or Jay Wright.

His 911 call was made by a fire chief who was trailing him in broad daylight where he almost hit 3 street signs then twice tested blood alcohol levels 1-2 recent stiff drinks above the legal amount.

In my view, suspending him for a single ranked opponent would be a more fitting punishment than 4 nonserious events.
    Why add a 2nd exhibition when the suspension could’ve just been three events? It’s not like there’s a predetermined suspension if it happened so they had to add one. Way to much speculation IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am most proud of my alma mater, not because of their success on the court (and fields and courses, etc.), but because they achieved these athletic victories while maintaining a high level of academic success.

As to some of the posters in this thread, I wonder whether they could pass Philosophy 101.

Fact: Gonzaga has played one exhibition game and one closed scrimmage every year since 2010.
    Fact: Gonzaga will play two exhibition games this year.
    Conclusion: The change must be due to Coach Few's DUI troubles.

Incorrect conclusion. Not supported by any facts.

Unless someone has insider information, no one on this board knows why the change was made. It is all supposition, hypothesis, i.e. guessing. It has been said that the common fan is unaware of 90% of what goes on behind the scenes.

Now if one the exhibition games was against Brewster Packing, then that might be a red flag.

I think some posters would be happy with nothing less than a public flogging in the quad.

I see suspending Few for a "few" games offers little penalty to Mark, but does penalize the "team" for something they did not do. While some NCAA violations unfortunately result in having to penalize the "team" simply because the program benefitted and therefore the program must pay the price, that is simply not the case with Few's DUI.

Suspend him for the Kraziness in the Kennel, the two exhibition games and the first game against Dixie State, fine him 1/8th (4 games out of 32 or some other percentage) of his salary for violating the personal conduct clause in his contract (assuming he has one) and let's get on with it.

The team does not suffer, Few gets a bite out of his wallet and then let the courts handle the rest of the penalty.

Next.

ZagDad

Good grief. It’s personal misconduct (off-duty and not in conjunction with Few’s job). Sounds like he’s accepted his wrong-doing and the internet police on this page want to argue over a “second exhibition” game as grounds for “adequate” punishment? Get over yourselves. Punishment fits the crime. Few is human, made a bad decision. Let’s all move on. Threads have been locked for less-shut this down and let’s focus on the season.

yawn

Exactly. We have a young (or young-ish) team this time around, so nothing wrong with playing that extra preseason game. Gives the coaching staff a chance to try new things. The Eastern Oregon game starts at 1 pm locally, got that info from their website.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Hi everyone!

As would most of us here, but since it’s our Zags a lot of “how dare you” policing going on.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Zagdad I agree. Why punish the young men who have put in the time and effort to do their very best by keeping their best coach from coaching them. Their futures are at stake and they deserve the best. Find another penalty if you must.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

The punishment is a farce. Moreover, I agree with others that it's really low to punish the players. Why is it so hard to think of something that shows his contrition, promote safe driving, while simultaneously allowing him to do his job? I'm not putting a ton of thought into this, but would it be considered a "lesser" punishment if he were asked to donate his time (something I value more than money at this point in my life) either in public speaking events or speaking to kids about the dangers of drunk driving? He's a public figure. His "way back" into getting past this isn't by sitting out easy games that have no meaning. It's by being out there and promoting safety in a public way. Just my opinion.

P.S. Coaches Vs. Drunk Driving game a bit too on the nose to supplement Coaches Vs. Cancer?
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Forgive yourself coach. Move forward with life. Make as good of decisions as you can. I dropped the ball when I was at GU. They could have cut me loose. Someone could have but together a pretty good argument that GU maybe should have, but GU didn’t. They helped me.

If there are posters that want a bigger piece of Few, or Thanye? Well...go get it yourselves.