Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 4 "event" suspension

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    My final word. Forget the ham handed way the Admin conceived and rolled out the news, what’s most egregious to me and, yes, grossly disingenuous, are the words attributed to Few in responding to the mini banishment. He calls them “three games” as if we are all dumb to the facts of what they really are and then he laments that his team will suffer from his absence on the sideline. Whoever crafted that should have his or her own wrist slapped. Out.
    He was saying that there are consequences to actions, and that the consequences effect more than him. That’s a responsible way to look at things. That what they teach you in AA

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yo mods, we allowed to infuse our political takes into our posts now?
    I'll bet there's a shortage of aluminum foil in Spokane stores.

My final word ..... Out.
    Thanks Jazz.

Kinda hoping it's a lot of folks' "final word".

Lest we have another 20+ page thread of people saying the same thing over and over and over and over again. GoZags

PS. I have no idea "what" his take on this topic would be ... but it's situations like this where I REALLY miss our "Voice of Reason" ... El Voce. Continue to Rest in Peace, Dick. We miss you.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

"Coach is a great leader. He leads us every day, in and out. No one's perfect and everyone messes up. He's taken his punishment like a man and he's owned up to it. We have nothing but respect for him and we'll stand by him no matter what."

-- Drew Timme, 10/9/21

I suspect the school and the team along with his friends and family will give Few all of the support he needs to get through this.

GUB, Zag twitter, opposing team fans will bring it up the entirety of the season. It will be a sub-text once the Big Dance starts; all of the talking heads will mention it ad nauseum either before or during national telecasts. While the lion's share of the damage is to Coach Few's brand & reputation, Gonzaga University will be scrutinized as well.

Only 29 days until the 21-22 college basketball season officially begins. . .
    Last edited by RenoZag; 10-11-2021 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    "Coach is a great leader. He leads us every day, in and out. No one's perfect and everyone messes up. He's taken his punishment like a man and he's owned up to it. We have nothing but respect for him and we'll stand by him no matter what."

-- Drew Timme, 10/9/21
    This.

And what is the best punishment? Should he be fired, suspended for the entire season, suspended for 3 or 4 games? I think the longer the suspension the more the players and fans are being punished too. I think Mark Few can do some real good speaking about driving under the influence, possibly a public service announcement, which would be better than increasing his suspension.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rijman View Post
    This.
    I think Mark Few can do some real good speaking about driving under the influence,

Well, he missed his 1st really good opportunity yesterday
    But we don't play nobody.

Agree. And Few or his mouthpiece doubled down on their low view of our intelligence by describing the two exhibits as games. I’ve tried to be neutral. I’m infuriated now, not as much as the clear wrist slap as it’s p.r. rollout and the disingenuous statement that’s supposed to put a cork on the whole matter.
    I get just as infuriated by fans like you that think this isn’t adequate. The whining about how he has gotten a slap on the wrist for endangering lives is laughable especially in this day and age where politicians are playing active roles making health decisions that are contrary to sound medical science that are actually costing the lives of their constituents. If the civil penalties for Mark’s offense aren’t adequate for endangering other people’s lives, then you should lobby for stronger civil penalties for anyone found guilty in a similar circumstance. Looking to an employer to somehow balance the scales of justice is as I have said before, childish. I think the school made a great decision that should satisfy most bloodthirsty fans like you that think piling extra punishment on top of whatever civil penalties are assessed is somehow a thing fans should get to approve. I have watched too many cheating coaches and programs that never penalize their big time head coaches when cheating is certainly under the school’s purview to think somehow Mark Few has gotten off lightly.

Coach. Move forward from here. Build momentum in your life with each good decision. Forgive yourself.

There will always be posters who don’t get to extract enough. That’s on them. I’m looking forward to e future.

My final word. Forget the ham handed way the Admin conceived and rolled out the news, what’s most egregious to me and, yes, grossly disingenuous, are the words attributed to Few in responding to the mini banishment. He calls them “three games” as if we are all dumb to the facts of what they really are and then he laments that his team will suffer from his absence on the sideline. Whoever crafted that should have his or her own wrist slapped. Out.
    Loud mouth Karen, always holier than thou.

As I wrote previously, responding to another one of your posts on this same thread, maybe consider boycotting the team. If you’re so incensed, why would you tolerate following this program when they clearly haven’t lived up to your ideals. If you continue to watch then your words are no more meaningful than the “grossly disingenuous ” statement you claim Few and the AD put out.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Well, he missed his 1st really good opportunity yesterday
    He was there yesterday ????

And here I thought he was suspended from attending.

That IS a pretty light sentence if you are still allowed to attend while you are suspended.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Thanks Mods, Free speech is still alive and well. Some of us are slower to react than others and if someone else has posted our opinion we do not feel inclined to pile on.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Timme is a great representative of the team, program and school --- if only a few more fans were as mature as he is it would be a better world.

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by LocalNative View Post
    Loud mouth Karen, always holier than thou.
    Time for you to revisit the definition of a “Karen.”

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    As I wrote previously, responding to another one of your posts on this same thread, maybe consider boycotting the team. If you’re so incensed, why would you tolerate following this program when they clearly haven’t lived up to your ideals. If you continue to watch then your words are no more meaningful than the “grossly disingenuous ” statement you claim Few and the AD put out.
    Few is just one piece, an admittedly important one, of the Gonzaga miracle of which I continue to be a fan.

Just because it bothers the hell out of me... the 1st amendment applies to the Government. Privately run message boards are not the government... that being said... we still strive to let people express themselves. But stop harping on Free Speech. This boards admins and mods can legally delete a thread or post and it isn't a violation of your 1st amendment rights. One last thing, freedom of speech means that while the government cannot limit your speech, it doesn't free you from the societal ramifications of your speech. Society as a whole can punish you all they want... it isn't a get out of jail free card.

</rant>
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Help us to understand what would have been an acceptable result -- having to deal with the student sections all year long and what they will chant (team distraction), having to apologize to his family, the school and all alumni going forward for this incident, something like a suspension of license for a year, fines, alcohol classes, community service, missing out on the top '22 recruit visit and toss in maybe a 20 game suspension?

The optics are your own preconceived notions.
    As long as he actually gets hit with the DL suspension, probation (and all that entails), and pays fines at least commensurate with those levied against Joe-blow on the street (i.e., typical 1st offense punishment), then I'm ok with it. I've never been a big fan of employers taking action, though I do get it that with some organizations it's necessary. Given GU's public stature and role with young adults, MF's exposure, and him essentially being the face of the organization, etc., in this case it is appropriate.

One mistake, however, should not kill a career of good work. But I am also a little leery of the "this is one-off behavior" argument. Not to say it can't, or doesn't, happen, but it is not usual for someone to take such a risk (DUI) without having had some success doing so in the past. If I recall correctly, his BAC was equivalent to having just consumed 5 or 6 drinks (for a 180 lb. man), which isn't just marginally over the 0.08 limit.