Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 117

Thread: 4 "event" suspension

  1. #76

    Default

    Gonzaga has suspended head men's basketball coach Mark Few following his DUI arrest in September.

    As first reported by Dana O'Neil of The Athletic, Few will be suspended for Saturday's Kraziness in the Kennel event, two exhibition games and the regular-season opener against Dixie State on Nov. 9.

    Few will then return to the sidelines for the Bulldogs' second game of the season Nov. 13 when they host the Texas Longhorns.

  2. #77

    Default

    Gonzaga men's basketball coach Mark Few suspended for season opener after DUI stop
    8:39 AM PT
    Jeff Borzello
    ESPN Staff Writer

    Gonzaga men's basketball coach Mark Few has been suspended for the team's season opener following his citation for driving under the influence in early September.

    "I have had a month to reflect on the regretful decisions I made on Sept. 6," Few said in a statement Saturday morning. "I again offer my sincere apology and I remain committed to learning from this mistake. As a consequence of my error in judgment, I will not be present at Kraziness in the Kennel and the first three games of our season. I know this impacts our student-athletes and the coaching staff as we begin the season. I understand the severity of my actions and am sorry for the impact this consequence has on our team. Thank you again to those who have supported me, my family, and our program throughout this process."

    Gonzaga, the likely preseason No. 1 team, plays its opener against Dixie State on Nov. 9. Few is expected to return for the Bulldogs' second game against Texas, a likely top-10 team.

    Few will also miss Gonzaga's midnight madness festivities Saturday and exhibition games against Eastern Oregon and Lewis-Clark State.

  3. #78

    Default

    Wow does that send a weak message and a double standard? Kraziness in the Kennel, 2 exhibition games, and one regular season game against Dixie State.

    So much for Gonzaga having a higher ethical standard than other teams. Once again talk is cheap when their was a true litmus test Gonzaga University leadership clearly failed in their biggest test to date. Of course as a Zags fan your happy. But as far as ethics it makes me very sad.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 10-09-2021 at 07:39 PM.

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Wow does that send a weak message and a double standard? Kraziness in the Kennel, 2 exhibition games, and one regular season game against Dixie State.

    So much for Gonzaga having a higher ethical standard than other teams. Once again talk is cheap when their was a true litmus test Gonzaga University leadership clearly failed in their biggest test to date. Of course as a Zags fan your happy. But as far as ethics it makes me very sad.
    Yup… but I’m sure they scheduled that second exhibition game a couple weeks ago to get our young guys time. As someone who has been on two college staffs— you typically aren’t adding games in near october…

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Let's do 20!!! lolol

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    1,086

    Default Nicely Done

    I'm proud of GU. Well-handled, appropriate consequences, and addressed before the season starts. I'm proud of Coach Few. No excuses; no complaining.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    How many games is the morally perfect amount?

  8. #83
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Yup… but I’m sure they scheduled that second exhibition game a couple weeks ago to get our young guys time. As someone who has been on two college staffs— you typically aren’t adding games in near october…
    Again, why did they have to schedule an exhibition game in regards to any suspension? There’s not set punishment for DUI so they could’ve just set the suspension at three instead. Some people just need something to complain about.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Yeah, it’s likely they added a game so Few could have more of a punishment and still be back for Texas. I can see why some would think that’s shady but to me it’s not a big deal. 30 years of service without a blemish from Coach Few contributed to a lighter consequence that allows him to still coach against Texas, which to me is the right call. And I’m still confident no one will be talking about it come midseason.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Again, why did they have to schedule an exhibition game in regards to any suspension? There’s not set punishment for DUI so they could’ve just set the suspension at three instead. Some people just need something to complain about.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nobody is arguing that GU "had to" schedule another (or even 1) exhibition.

    Nobody is arguing that "4 events" is the "set punishment".


    People are arguing (or at least stating their various confidence levels) that haviong 2 exhibitions, since that hasn't happened in 12 years and wasn't announced until well after the DUI, is being done instead of the originally planned 1 exhibition as a convenient way to get Few a "3 game" punishment, which sounds appropriate and serious and is also conveniently 1 more game than Josh Perkins' DUI suspension, without punishing Few for anything other than a Dixie State 50 point blowout. And the points are easily being connected by folks nationally:



    If there was strong evidence that both exhibitions were planned and agreed on before 9/6, it would obviously prove that an event wasn't added to "pad" the punishment.


    (The irony of counting today's absence as a punishment of any kind is rich, since coach Few would have gladly paid money to skip the annual glitzy PR fest for once and go fishing instead.)

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Again, why did they have to schedule an exhibition game in regards to any suspension? There’s not set punishment for DUI so they could’ve just set the suspension at three instead. Some people just need something to complain about.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Exactly! It seems the main argument is that an additional game was added. Then think of it as a three event suspension. Who cares? Like you said, it isn't as though it is a mandatory punishment.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    Nobody is arguing that GU "had to" schedule another (or even 1) exhibition.

    Nobody is arguing that "4 events" is the "set punishment".


    People are arguing (or at least stating their various confidence levels) that haviong 2 exhibitions, since that hasn't happened in 12 years and wasn't announced until well after the DUI, is being done instead of the originally planned 1 exhibition as a convenient way to get Few a "3 game" punishment, which sounds appropriate and serious and is also conveniently 1 more game than Josh Perkins' DUI suspension, without punishing Few for anything other than a Dixie State 50 point blowout. And the points are easily being connected by folks nationally:



    If there was strong evidence that both exhibitions were planned and agreed on before 9/6, it would obviously prove that an event wasn't added to "pad" the punishment.


    (The irony of counting today's absence as a punishment of any kind is rich, since coach Few would have gladly paid money to skip the annual glitzy PR fest for once and go fishing instead.)
    Oh well, makes no sense to me. They could’ve said 2, 3, 4 or whatever they wanted. I don’t buy for even a second they added an exhibition game to make the repercussion to Coach Few look better to the public. Honestly, no matter what they did, there still would have been those saying it wasn’t enough or it was too much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
    Exactly! It seems the main argument is that an additional game was added. Then think of it as a three event suspension. Who cares? Like you said, it isn't as though it is a mandatory punishment.
    Yup, not sure why this eludes so many. Not like NCAA passed this down and GU is trying to sidestep…

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Good grief. It’s personal misconduct (off-duty and not in conjunction with Few’s job). Sounds like he’s accepted his wrong-doing and the internet police on this page want to argue over a “second exhibition” game as grounds for “adequate” punishment? Get over yourselves. Punishment fits the crime. Few is human, made a bad decision. Let’s all move on. Threads have been locked for less-shut this down and let’s focus on the season.
    A voice of reason

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Glad it only took 4 pages to display reason.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Yup, not sure why this eludes so many. Not like NCAA passed this down and GU is trying to sidestep…
    +1

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Sounds like many want Coach Few canceled. This is the new world we live in. We are building back better I guess.


  18. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    Nobody is arguing that GU "had to" schedule another (or even 1) exhibition.

    Nobody is arguing that "4 events" is the "set punishment".


    People are arguing (or at least stating their various confidence levels) that haviong 2 exhibitions, since that hasn't happened in 12 years and wasn't announced until well after the DUI, is being done instead of the originally planned 1 exhibition as a convenient way to get Few a "3 game" punishment, which sounds appropriate and serious and is also conveniently 1 more game than Josh Perkins' DUI suspension, without punishing Few for anything other than a Dixie State 50 point blowout. And the points are easily being connected by folks nationally:



    If there was strong evidence that both exhibitions were planned and agreed on before 9/6, it would obviously prove that an event wasn't added to "pad" the punishment.


    (The irony of counting today's absence as a punishment of any kind is rich, since coach Few would have gladly paid money to skip the annual glitzy PR fest for once and go fishing instead.)
    Norlander’s presenting of the facts here sums up things nicely. Nobody here wants to “cancel” Few or tighten the screws on a guy for making a mistake. The point is it is disingenuous at best for a second exhibition game to be scheduled suddenly for the first time in 12 years thus allowing the “punishment” of “4 events” (rather than games) to sort of exceed the 3 game suspension Perkins was given for sleeping UI w keys in the ignition.

    As others have pointed out, if KU, UK or Duke did exact same thing for Self, Calipari or Coach K if they had gotten pulled over for a DUI fans here would be calling BS.

    We are all huge Gonzaga fans here and want what’s best for the program, university and Coach Few. Shady ethics like this is not the high integrity, do things the right way, family atmosphere branding this whole unbelievable success story has been built upon. If folks here can’t see that, well, you have reached Dukie level arrogance and entitlement levels and maybe need to drink less of the kool aid.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Roslyn, Washington
    Posts
    246

    Default

    That is your opinion

    Sounds like you truly believe that just because you didn’t know what Gonzaga’s 2nd authorized exhibition was going to be this year (secret scrimmage or game) that means it is a shady conspiracy. Wow. I think that had it been a secret scrimmage that Few’s suspension would have kept him out of that as well.

    Also could you kindly point out where Josh’s suspension was referenced vis a vis Few? The only place I could find that was in internet warrior Conspiracy Theories.

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Norlander’s presenting of the facts here sums up things nicely. Nobody here wants to “cancel” Few or tighten the screws on a guy for making a mistake. The point is it is disingenuous at best for a second exhibition game to be scheduled suddenly for the first time in 12 years thus allowing the “punishment” of “4 events” (rather than games) to sort of exceed the 3 game suspension Perkins was given for sleeping UI w keys in the ignition.

    As others have pointed out, if KU, UK or Duke did exact same thing for Self, Calipari or Coach K if they had gotten pulled over for a DUI fans here would be calling BS.

    We are all huge Gonzaga fans here and want what’s best for the program, university and Coach Few. Shady ethics like this is not the high integrity, do things the right way, family atmosphere branding this whole unbelievable success story has been built upon. If folks here can’t see that, well, you have reached Dukie level arrogance and entitlement levels and maybe need to drink less of the kool aid.
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bing View Post
    That is your opinion

    Sounds like you truly believe that just because you didn’t know what Gonzaga’s 2nd authorized exhibition was going to be this year (secret scrimmage or game) that means it is a shady conspiracy. Wow. I think that had it been a secret scrimmage that Few’s suspension would have kept him out of that as well.

    Also could you kindly point out where Josh’s suspension was referenced vis a vis Few? The only place I could find that was in internet warrior Conspiracy Theories.
    If you don’t think Perkins’ suspension factored into the equation as to what Few’s would be, you are really underestimating the intelligence of the people in GU’s athletic department and marketing side. If you don’t think suddenly adding a 2nd exhibition game for the first time in 12 years is related to this DUI consequences calculation, I don’t know what to tell you. Seems a rather naive take to just consider it a coincidence.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,077

    Default

    My final word. Forget the ham handed way the Admin conceived and rolled out the news, what’s most egregious to me and, yes, grossly disingenuous, are the words attributed to Few in responding to the mini banishment. He calls them “three games” as if we are all dumb to the facts of what they really are and then he laments that his team will suffer from his absence on the sideline. Whoever crafted that should have his or her own wrist slapped. Out.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Sounds like many want Coach Few canceled. This is the new world we live in. We are building back better I guess.

    Yo mods, we allowed to infuse our political takes into our posts now?

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    My God it's over the top. We have a legal system with penalties for such incidents. what have we all become!!!! I think I live in a world of wusses these days. How many nights have you all driven while drinking? In my case I could say many hundreds of times. Total the number who read this board and a million times wouldn't be out of line. Who's life could withstand such scrutiny? Oh Yeah, we didn't get caught. I would like to see this WOKE society spend more time on judging themselves and less time on judging others. What happened to forgiveness!!!!!, Lesson learned I'm sure. Get on with life. You can focus on happiness and joy or you can focus on shet. It won't say anything about Mark Few, but it will say a whole lot about you. Rant over.
    On behalf of all of us, and your community, please stop drinking and driving. It is not a political position. It is a matter of life and death for you and others you share the road with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    It’s done. Case closed. I think the punishment is appropriate.
    Move on

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    On behalf of all of us, and your community, please stop drinking and driving. It is not a political position. It is a matter of life and death for you and others you share the road with.
    He hasn’t in 40 years. His words.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •