Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 "event" suspension

HEY. It’s nothing!! Or should we go for another 20 pages again?? See how well that turned out last time? It sucked and nothing was settled. Not then and not NOW . Season is nearing but go for 20 pages!! I hear a “scab pickers” training course is in town this weekend! Lolol

My thoughts.

1. Just because everyone else does something that is wrong doesnít make it right. I think we all know that.

2. While it seems reasonable for the school to hinge itís penalty on the legal outcome, it is not a requirement. The school is well within its rights to determine its own penalties and disciplinary actions for employee misconduct.

3. This suspension seems reasonable to me and fits within the framework of progressive discipline where penalties increase if needed. Not needed in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Well, so far we have someone that believes the rest of us are "deaf, dumb and blind" if we don't agree with him. We have someone that thinks this whole thing is no big deal because he's endangered people's lives in the same way a thousand times. And we have someone that wants everyone to shut up because it offends his sensibilities.

Wanna know what I think? Probably not. Too bad.

I love the Gonzaga story in general and the Mark Few story in particular. This "consequence " and the way it has been handled is a joke. It is wholly inadequate for the face of the university to receive a "tsk, tsk" for putting people's lives in danger. Releasing the news on a college football Saturday to mitigate attention blows as well.

Few is the highest profile person in his community. He should be held to a higher standard than anyone else in that community because if he gets off lightly, the rest of the community will be justified in saying driving impaired and risking killing someone is no big deal.

I love Mark Few. I love the good he has done in his community and across the country. But, all of that doesn't excuse him for putting people in danger of losing their lives. If you have known someone that was killed because of a drunk driver, I'm betting you would think a much harsher penalty would be appropriate.

Mark and the University will survive this and that's a good thing. That doesn't stop some of us from being disappointed in what has transpired so far.

From one point of view at least, closing the threads on Few is not eliminating free speech and discussion (especially when disagreements have remained mostly civil). Why? Because as I said before this topic is too big to shut down - when a new bit of news occurs another thread will open. So we can all read one thread or many stop and start threads. I wouldn't believe it if someone said this topic would not be one of the biggest we have had in years. Too many care, too many people want to discuss, need to discuss, and hear the thoughts of others. Censorship on this topic is over-control in my opinion, especially if closed in the name of 'protecting' Few; we are all wanting to protect him, every post on this topic has shown interest in respect for him and care for him, with differences of opinion only on smaller matters degree of consequences, etc. It would not be natural if we didn't have hundreds of posters who care a lot and have lots of opinions. The only opinion I don't like in here is wanting to ban people from going to the agora (plaza where Ancient Greeks met to discuss all topics) cuz when they do, people will continue discussing it, and agora will be opened again.
    To repeat, those who do not enjoy reading threads on this topic can solve their problem by doing something they would rather do, rather than trying to put duct tape on the mouths of others who want to keep discussing.
    Obviously my comments are all about process, and IMHO that's always a good topic when needed in a community of people with common goals.

"I have had a month to reflect on the regretful decisions I made on Sept. 6," Few said in a statement Saturday. "I again offer my sincere apology and I remain committed to learning from this mistake. As a consequence of my error in judgment, I will not be present at Kraziness in the Kennel and the first three games of our season. I know this impacts our student-athletes and the coaching staff as we begin the season. I understand the severity of my actions and am sorry for the impact this consequence has on our team. Thank you again to those who have supported me, my family, and our program throughout this process."
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-in-september/

Hardly “the first three games of the season.” And his absence from that frivolity and three cupcakes hardly impacts the team. That’s disingenuous and wholly insulting to his public. Who writes this krap?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    HEY. It’s nothing!! Or should we go for another 20 pages again?? See how well that turned out last time? It sucked and nothing was settled. Not then and not NOW . Season is nearing but go for 20 pages!!
    1. You yourself are the author of 54 of the posts in that single prior thread, about which you frequently complained for containing too many posts.

2. Nothing is ever "settled" between sports fans on a team message board. That's a bizarre standard.

Markburn1 - I wholeheartedly agree with your above post. Well put. It's possible to be a fan and supporter without being a fan of every action taken.

Okay so hereís the deal.

I went back as far as 2010. Not once did we play more than one exhibition game. This year we have two, which at least one was added last minute since the incident happened.

That is my biggest problem with all of this. The university knowingly added a game so that they could implement a suspension for a bad deed done by the most prominent figure at the university. They did this so he could coach verse Texas while still saying ďhey we suspended him for three gamesĒ to match at least the Perkins incident. Thatís what disappoints me.

I would feel the same regardless of what high profile coach did this.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Okay so here’s the deal.

I went back as far as 2010. Not once did we play more than one exhibition game. This year we have two, which at least one was added last minute since the incident happened.

That is my biggest problem with all of this. The university knowingly added a game so that they could implement a suspension for a bad deed done by the most prominent figure at the university. They did this so he could coach verse Texas while still saying “hey we suspended him for three games” to match at least the Perkins incident. That’s what disappoints me.

Agree. And Few or his mouthpiece doubled down on their low view of our intelligence by describing the two exhibits as games. I’ve tried to be neutral. I’m infuriated now, not as much as the clear wrist slap as it’s p.r. rollout and the disingenuous statement that’s supposed to put a cork on the whole matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Hardly “the first three games of the season.” And his absence from that frivolity and three cupcakes hardly impacts the team. That’s disingenuous and wholly insulting to his public. Who writes this krap?

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Okay so here’s the deal.

That is my biggest problem with all of this. The university knowingly added a game so that they could implement a suspension for a bad deed done by the most prominent figure at the university. They did this so he could coach verse Texas while still saying “hey we suspended him for three games” to match at least the Perkins incident. That’s what disappoints me.

Zags have spent 20+ amazing years striving to become a blue blood level college hoops program and, now that they’ve pretty much made it there (save a natty), it’s suddenly ok to start acting like one. Really really disappointing.

Salt in the wound is finally announcing this the same day/weekend as Kraziness, so it will be the big story now instead of the players and the Kraziness event itself. They could have announced this a week or weeks ago.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Just getting ludicrous again.

If really wanted to punish him, let's suspend him for the national championship game if we get there. Would that be sufficient for those that are second guessing GU's response?

GU's administration made a decision; Few apologized again; eventually the judicial system will weigh in. That's it.

Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Just getting ludicrous again.

If really wanted to punish him, let's suspend him for the national championship game if we get there. Would that be sufficient for those that are second guessing GU's response?

GU's administration made a decision; Few apologized again; eventually the judicial system will weigh in. That's it.

Let it go.
    Just be ethical about it. Don’t be like Kentucky or Duke who do this crap. Add “games” to the schedule verse a team we will beat by 75 so you can say he was “suspended” and so he could coach verse Texas. Again, we haven’t played two exhibition games in a decade at least. We added the exhibition games after the incident. Any blind and brainless bird could figure out what transpired here.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree. And Few or his mouthpiece doubled down on their low view of our intelligence by describing the two exhibits as games. Iíve tried to be neutral. Iím infuriated now, not as much as the clear wrist slap as itís p.r. rollout and the disingenuous statement thatís supposed to put a cork on the whole matter.
    Yes, isnít that the point of visiting boards like this and posting, to celebrate our neutrality? Maybe consider boycotting the team since youíre so infuriated. Why follow a program that would allow for such a disingenuous apology from its coach and not delivery a punishment that has more teeth? That, and purposefully scheduling one additional exhibition game so the university can give the appearance of being fair. I mean, who do they think theyíre kidding? Letís make some signs and get this protest rolling.

I wonder if Few has a video statement to address the crowd today

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I wonder if Few has a video statement to address the crowd today
    With an 18 and half minute gap.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    "K" I posted an opinion and I,m attacked - surprise, surprise. Is Free Speech dead? If everybody agrees you get no change. With differing opinions you may get a lot of change. I would venture to guess on an individual level I have done more good than most. Apparently you don'[t know me and you are making a lot of invalid assumptions. Principles before personalities my friend.
    I havenít posted in ages but needed to because this it a pet peeve of mine. Free speech has NOTHING to do with this. Free speech only applies if the government suppresses speech. If mods here delete posts or other platforms that are private block posts it isnít suppression of free speech.
    Sorry rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Salt in the wound is finally announcing this the same day/weekend as Kraziness, so it will be the big story now instead of the players and the Kraziness event itself. They could have announced this a week or weeks ago.
    OMFG

What possible “wound” could GonzagSauraesFlex have?
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

[QUOTE=StatZag;1572114]1. You yourself are the author of 54 of the posts in that single prior thread, about which you frequently complained for containing too many posts.

2. Nothing is ever "settled" between sports fans on a team message board. That's a bizarre standard.

Statzag can count! Terrific. blahblah blah...... congrats. What you don[t see is that you all might get in a fluff but you have no power in this, your comments mean little. Spend your time being angry, it doesn't matter.

And Markburn.who was endangered? You don't know if anyone was.it's a concept but the point is this: You have no say so in any of this. YOu have reports but dont know much beyond reports. And you can fabricate internet anger and stazag can go wild..........go ahead if you want.........but in the end none of this will matter . Not one jot, tiitle or iota.

I hope those of you who elected to get wild over this, can find some other group that feigns outrage...........if you don't like the tempo of things, don't watch or go to the AZ board and praise Tommy or some such. . None of your statements matter. It's over. But if want 20 more pages over this episode in life, go for it. Honestly, this didn't matter much unless you want it to be so. For now though, all the flagellation and comments won't matter in the real world. This is over. And to be crystal clear, I've never told anyone what to do or how to feel but I do know the bottom line is this: it's over. And that's reality.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 10-09-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Eh, it's a classic Gonzaga move that the admin can get away with since the school has Spokane wrapped up for better or worse. I hope Few fixes his behavior, but I think can we drop our holier than thou attitude now. I personally don't care as long as we make the final 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bing View Post
    OMFG

What possible ďwoundĒ could GonzagSauraesFlex have?
    Itís going to really hard for the sold out crowd at the Mac to enjoy any of the festivities with this coming out today. I imagine a very solemn crowd. A lot with their heads in their hands as the team takes the court. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    It’s going to really hard for the sold out crowd at the Mac to enjoy any of the festivities with this coming out today. I imagine a very solemn crowd. A lot with their heads in their hands as the team takes the court. Sad.
    Watching.....doesn't seem so. Few's got some major dunkers!

Gregg and Hickman are ballers

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Eh, it's a classic Gonzaga move that the admin can get away with since the school has Spokane wrapped up for better or worse. I hope Few fixes his behavior, but I think can we drop our holier than thou attitude now. I personally don't care as long as we make the final 4.
    Check Twitter. It’s a national story.

With a local solution...........and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Watching.....doesn't seem so. Few's got some major dunkers!
    It’s called sarcasm. Sorry if it wasn’t evident.