Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: I think the results would have been much different a month ago.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kettle Falls
    Posts
    721

    Default I think the results would have been much different a month ago.

    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,980

    Default

    Not really. Maybe 8% vs 6%. Few isn't effusive enough and PNW bias is real.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    I think he’d be above Cal were it not for the incident. Even Kentucky fans are tired of him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not really. Maybe 8% vs 6%. Few isn't effusive enough and PNW bias is real.
    Yup. The top 80% vote getters are in the Eastern time zone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Highly doubt that was a factor. Most people nationally have already forgotten about the incident. Few is not a personality fit for "the most prominent face and voice of college basketball."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,655

    Default

    I’d be inclined to pick someone who has won a national championship. I’m not surprised that the majority would pick someone toward the East Coast

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not really. Maybe 8% vs 6%. Few isn't effusive enough and PNW bias is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Highly doubt that was a factor. Most people nationally have already forgotten about the incident. Few is not a personality fit for "the most prominent face and voice of college basketball."
    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I’d be inclined to pick someone who has won a national championship. I’m not surprised that the majority would pick someone toward the East Coast
    Jay Wright checks the boxes regardless of whether Mark Few gets a DUI. He won in his on Wright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Don't think the incident affected this at all. At others have said, Few's public persona doesn't fit the "prominent voice and face" criteria.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,297

    Default

    I don't really disagree with Jay Wright and I agree on Tony Bennett as well. Those were the first two I thought of that weren't our coach. I don't know that I'd be thinking Izzo or Calipari myself.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I don't really disagree with Jay Wright and I agree on Tony Bennett as well. Those were the first two I thought of that weren't our coach. I don't know that I'd be thinking Izzo or Calipari myself.
    Tony is too diffident. Jay is perfect, East coast born and bred, multiple titles, blue blood program, youthful, articulate, self deprecating plus that wardrobe.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    - agree with the consensus..........a month ago and results would be pretty much the same.
    - the four coaches ahead of coach few have all have won a national title, and come from power conferences. i think that matters more than a blemish here and there by any of the coaches..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Listen the some call DUI isn't settled. Let's not be putting a nail in any coffin. Accused is the operant term. And NO, this is the order I'd expect. As JP says, a coach that's won a National Championship is huge here. Being in the East is likewise a huge factor. In some ways though, we're new to this high end scene. WCC is a factor . Mark isn't winning in a major league conference. I think we know that despite the fact that he's beaten the best in any conference and does it regularly as a matter of course. He's done an incredible job and many of us have lived it with him. He's our fav and he's earned it. BUT the rest of the country doesn't necessarily see it with our eyes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    i think you're right Abe,
    i have no way to know,
    my guess is Few would have been much higher on the list before the incident,
    sports announcers all seemed concensus admiration on many counts,
    as well as his role on teams USA
    winningest coach presently and I think of all time
    My guess is he would be at least two notches higher,
    good question for speculation

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,980

    Default

    Forget the Few question, how in the world is Juwan Howard even on the list? Talk about media darlings. I guess Penny is still in tsk tsk purgatory. But consider the source, Gary Parrish is a duddering moron.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,655

    Default

    As the son of a pastor who hasn't been involved in scandal but still managed to become an elite program, Few was becoming somewhat of the Jiminy Cricket of NCAA MBB. People truly wanted to know his thoughts on things-- and so much so that he appeared before Congress. He has run such a clean program and competed with the blue bloods without using their recruiting play book. Persons were starting to look for his opinion on controversial ethical concerns as someone who an untarnished voice of reason that was above the fray. I hope it stays that way, but the DUI accusation threatens that.

    The question posed in this thread is about winning college coaches and leaves out the ethical stuff, otherwise Duke's coach wouldn't even be in the discussion.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,924

    Default

    Have no issue with Jay Wright being on the top of that list. Cal with two vacated seasons under his belt shouldn't be in the discussion... not to mention his innate ability to waste the talent he recruits year in and year out.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Have no issue with Jay Wright being on the top of that list. Cal with two vacated seasons under his belt shouldn't be in the discussion... not to mention his innate ability to waste the talent he recruits year in and year out.
    Agree with you except the part about wasting talent. The man can coach. Sweet sixteen or better 13 times. Elite eight or better eleven times. Five Final Four appearances. One Championship.

    No matter the talent on your team, it's hard to do what he's done over the years.

    I don't care for him. I think he's a sleaze. But, he can coach.

    ETA All that talent is freshman talent that has to be molded into a team, year after year.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Agree with you except the part about wasting talent. The man can coach. Sweet sixteen or better 13 times. Elite eight or better eleven times. Five Final Four appearances. One Championship.

    No matter the talent on your team, it's hard to do what he's done over the years.

    I don't care for him. I think he's a sleaze. But, he can coach.

    ETA All that talent is freshman talent that has to be molded into a team, year after year.
    I think that is exactly where he fails. Most of the success has more to do with the talent there. When it comes to Xs and Os... hardly his strong point. Most of what you see out of UK is hero ball. That gets you only so far. If you have basically the equivalent of an NBA team in terms of talent... you shouldn't lose at the college level. Give Few/Wright/Izzo the same level of talent and they make the NC game every single year. JMHO that one NC was more on Anthony Davis being a generational talent than Cal coaching them to that point. That team had 4 1st rounders (1st and 2nd picks overall ) and 2 second rounders.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I think that is exactly where he fails. Most of the success has more to do with the talent there. When it comes to Xs and Os... hardly his strong point. Most of what you see out of UK is hero ball. That gets you only so far. If you have basically the equivalent of an NBA team in terms of talent... you shouldn't lose at the college level. Give Few/Wright/Izzo the same level of talent and they make the NC game every single year. JMHO that one NC was more on Anthony Davis being a generational talent than Cal coaching them to that point. That team had 4 1st rounders (1st and 2nd picks overall ) and 2 second rounders.
    LIZF, I think part of the problem is that you probably don't get a bunch of those recruits if you don't let them play that style. I don't think some of those kids would fit well in Few's style.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    LIZF, I think part of the problem is that you probably don't get a bunch of those recruits if you don't let them play that style. I don't think some of those kids would fit well in Few's style.
    Which is kind of my point. Still remember the story about how little supervision and guidance UK had in the weight room when Kyle was there. Took months to fix the damage done to KWilt
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    I agree with LIZ. But what about Rick Pitino?? Same smarmy type. Wins but a real sleazy type doing it . Wright’s a very class act same with Izzo .

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Just an FYI that all of the questions in this series where asked in the summer at the various summer events well before Few's DUI occurred.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Lolol Rad! Settles that!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    18,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Just an FYI that all of the questions in this series where asked in the summer at the various summer events well before Few's DUI occurred.
    I do t think that’s the case.
    I listened to the podcast that Parrish and Norlander do and they talked about it a little bit. They thought it might have had an effect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •