Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Marquis Cook

Default 2023 Marquis Cook

@marquiscookk: blessed to receive an offer from Gonzaga University #GoBulldogs💙🐶 @ZagMBB

https://twitter.com/marquiscookk/sta...209717255?s=21
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Rivals has hm as the # 2 ranked player for 2023, that pretty cool!

Former Jefferson High player, like Silas Melson.

We're officially competing with Tommy for a kid, although I'm sure that are many more.

247 suggests he is also known as "Mookie."

https://247sports.com/Player/Mookie-Cook-46109284/
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Mookie likes GU. Been on campus for an unofficial already.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    We're officially competing with Tommy for a kid, although I'm sure that are many more.
    Yes, there were/are more, according to 247.

2022 Collin Chandler (both teams in his top 6)
    2022 Dylan Anderson (AZ commit)
    2022 Yohan Traore (neither team made his list)
    2023 Mookie Cook
    2023 Jeremy Fears
    2023 Miro Little

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I like seeing Gonzaga listed at the beginning of the list for his offers.

Mookie released his top 9 a few minutes ago:

Gonzaga
    Kansas
    UCLA
    Kentucky
    Texas Tech
    Oregon
    Michigan
    Memphis
    Arizona

https://twitter.com/marquiscookk/sta...08320199602177

Default 2023 SF Mookie Cook (Rivals #2 overall) has GU in his top 9

This is cross-posted for those of you who don't visit the Whelping Box. Mods can delete whenever.

That dreaded Arizona logo keeps showing up. He's from Oregon so hopefully that helps.
    Go Zags!!!

From what I've been reading Kentucky (Ty Ty went to same prep school) and Oregon seem to be the biggest competition. Regardless, that is a tough list of schools to beat out.

Tommy Lloyd is the next up and comer. He just brought the Zag system to Arizona, and you see what he is doing with it. They will be hard to beat not only with Cook, but with a lot of people, because a lot of these players listen to all that crap about Gonzaga is not that good they don't play anyone, you can't win a championship there. You hear this over and over east of the Mississippi. There are a lot of coaches that use this against the Zags when it comes to recruiting. Those coaches can't use that against Tommy and Arizona. Tommy will not only hamper Zag recruiting in the future, and a lot of other teams as well. I would think good players would love to play in this system, whether at Gonzaga or Arizona. I would love to see Tommy do well, but am a Zag fan first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Tommy Lloyd is the next up and comer. He just brought the Zag system to Arizona, and you see what he is doing with it. They will be hard to beat not only with Cook, but with a lot of people, because a lot of these players listen to all that crap about Gonzaga is not that good they don't play anyone, you can't win a championship there. You hear this over and over east of the Mississippi. There are a lot of coaches that use this against the Zags when it comes to recruiting. Those coaches can't use that against Tommy and Arizona. Tommy will not only hamper Zag recruiting in the future, and a lot of other teams as well. I would think good players would love to play in this system, whether at Gonzaga or Arizona. I would love to see Tommy do well, but am a Zag fan first and foremost.
    Yup - in a recruit's eyes Arizona is now everything that Gonzaga is, minus the negatives. Love the Zag's style? Come to Arizona, a school in a Power-5 conference, and play under the new hotness!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Arizona is now everything that Gonzaga is, minus the negatives.
    I don't know how we counter this.
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    I don’t think anyone is saying you can’t win a championship at Gonzaga considering we played in two title games the last five years. No one worth anything would say that, anyway.

I do think the WCC is going to make it hard to consistently recruit 5 stars. Unfortunately it’s just not the conference for a top tier program in the country. It was fine when we were top 20, but now we’re top 5.

Counter with a natty!

I don't know how we counter this.
    Maybe Tom will start recruiting overseas again, that'll level the playing field, based on his last efforts for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe Tom will start recruiting overseas again, that'll level the playing field, based on his last efforts for GU.
    He only did that because he needed to. He clearly doesn't need to anymore.
    Go Zags!!!

Thanks for posting. Check in to whelping every now and then, but no real scoops/updates since caldwell left to get paid.

Caldwell was talking about Mookie before he left. When he was living in Oregon he came to campus on an unofficial, possibly multiple times. Would expect us to get an official visit. Don’t see a scenario where he’s in college more than one year.

He only did that because he needed to. He clearly doesn't need to anymore.
    My pt, his last international haul for GU of Arlo, Patel, Oumar didn’t exactly set the CBB world on fire.

My thoughts: Lloyd is basically copying and pasting the rhythms and style Few created. That’s it. We’ll see if he can make adjustments. I don’t know if he’s a good head coach, but we’ll find out in a few years.

We know Few is supreme.

Transfer portal has devalued 5 star high schoolers and international diamonds in the rough by a lot, IMO. I think we will reload with veteran NCAA players vs HS freshmen more and more.

ZZ