Thread: 2023 - Dusty Stromer

Default 2023 - Dusty Stromer

2023 6'6" PG Dusty Stromer from Los Angeles, CA. Has received an offer from GU, per Verbal Commits.

https://twitter.com/MaxFeldman6/stat...29302472933387

Won the U16 Peach Jam title with Team Why Not with another GU target, Jared McCain.

"McCain played 46 minutes and was 8 of 20 from the field and finished with 25 points, six rebounds, and five assists. Boswell added 11 points, five rebounds, five assists, and two steals, while Stromer had 13 points, five assists, and three rebounds."

Aug 12 interview (pre-GU offer) https://www.prospectiveinsight.com/post/dusty-stromer

Peach Jam highlights: https://twitter.com/WhosNextHS/statu...66557773795334

Long arms give a nice high release and he looks to be a little more athletic than not. Will be one to watch.

Dusty is taking an unofficial visit in November to see the Texas game.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...ent-173572893/

Kid looks like a young Matt Dillon with long hair; would be another in a long line of Zag hair!

[QUOTE=scrooner;1573199]Dusty is taking an unofficial visit in November to see the Texas game.

That oughta' be an eye opener.
    But we don't play nobody.

Upper Left Sports Talk
    @upperleftsportz
    ·
    4h
    Dusty is a 6’6 wing, ranked #39 by 247 Sports Composite ranking (was ranked 74 in August). Teammates Kylan ranked #11 and Jared McCain at #24 per the composite rankings. Talented 2023 trio! #ZagUp

Austin King
    @Austin_king52
    · 9h
    Gonzaga recently offered Stromer and he will reportedly visit for the Texas game. Gonzaga is also recruiting his AAU teammates Kylan Boswell and Jared McCain. twitter.com/ebosshoops/sta…

You can tell he really likes GU based on some quotes and that he’s willing to pay his way out to Spokane for the Texas game.

Who are the other 2023 visitors??? Might we see Jared McCain and Kylan Boswell, for Tricky Trio 2.0??

In-depth video on Dusty Stromer. Just dropped, I haven't seen it yet, but it looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPc2CpS2j0

Per Inside the Kennel, some of the staff are headed to California tomorrow for the The Classic at Damien tournament, to watch Stromer, Jared McCain, Jazz Gardner & 2023 forward Devin Williams. https://twitter.com/InsideTheKennel/...18224395018240

https://www.classicatdamien.org/daily-schedule
    Last edited by scrooner; 12-29-2021 at 08:13 AM.

McCain & Williams' Centennial team has made it to the championship game tomorrow. Apparently Williams, a 6'10" jump-shooting big, has been putting on quite a show this tournament, including 20 of Centennial's 67 points in the semis. He's currently the #18 PF and 137th overall for 2023. Having seen a bit of footage I bet he ends up ranked higher than that.

Article by Brandon Jenkins at 247, recapping Dusty's performance at the Classic at Damien tournament and schools he's interested in. IIRC he was his team's leading scorer in all games, at around 24 per game.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Ar...ing-179731252/

Notable quotes:

Arizona: “I love the school. I was down there for the California Baptist game. It was amazing. The school was on winter break and the gym was still filled. It is different out there for sure. I love Tommy Lloyd and his coaches. Their playing style matches what Gonzaga is doing and I love that.”

Gonzaga: “I loved my visit because the coaches welcomed me right away. All of the players are super cool. I went to see their game against Texas. There were a lot of people in their gym and it gets really loud so it was unreal. I feel their playstyle fits my game. It is identical to how I play.”

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Article by Brandon Jenkins at 247, recapping Dusty's performance at the Classic at Damien tournament and schools he's interested in. IIRC he was his team's leading scorer in all games, at around 24 per game.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Ar...ing-179731252/

Notable quotes:

Arizona: “I love the school. I was down there for the California Baptist game. It was amazing. The school was on winter break and the gym was still filled. It is different out there for sure. I love Tommy Lloyd and his coaches. Their playing style matches what Gonzaga is doing and I love that.”

Gonzaga: “I loved my visit because the coaches welcomed me right away. All of the players are super cool. I went to see their game against Texas. There were a lot of people in their gym and it gets really loud so it was unreal. I feel their playstyle fits my game. It is identical to how I play.”

Doesn't seem promising but then these decisions are held close to the vest but guessing AZ will be his destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Doesn't seem promising but then these decisions are held close to the vest but guessing AZ will be his destination.
    Hi Bogo - What in both of statements tells you AZ > GU? Was it that he singled out Tommy and did not do the same for Mark Few? I guess we are going to have to expect this type of competition between Gonzaga and arizona when in the past with Tommy being a Zag - we would win out. I actually think this will be one of the two main areas where we miss Tommy the most.
    Love the Zags!!!

Feeling pretty good about Dusty. Arizona is an emerging threat in recruiting, though. We offer the chance to play in the best offense and best style for NBA development but Arizona is starting to emulate that with warm weather and a major conference (which admittedly is a bad one).

Louisville?

On the recruiting side of things, Stromer has unofficially visited the campuses of Arizona, Gonzaga, and UCLA. Louisville is the only program to receive an official visit from him as of now and the differences between what is prioritized in Kentucky versus California was eye-opening to him.

“The school is amazing because it is so much different from the West Coast,” Stromer said. “Everyone is so into basketball there because it is the only show in town. The fans there are unreal and the atmosphere is insane. It is like a family over there with their coaching staff. They really care about their players and that really resonated with my mom and I.”

Subtle rip on the Louisville football team, ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Hi Bogo - What in both of statements tells you AZ > GU? Was it that he singled out Tommy and did not do the same for Mark Few? I guess we are going to have to expect this type of competition between Gonzaga and arizona when in the past with Tommy being a Zag - we would win out. I actually think this will be one of the two main areas where we miss Tommy the most.
    It's just a hunch...bigger school, football, climate and conference affiliation...and Tommy is running the same offence as GU...Hope I'm wrong, which I have been in the past...lol

Also, how many head-to-head recruiting battles have we won over AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    It's just a hunch...bigger school, football, climate and conference affiliation...and Tommy is running the same offence as GU...Hope I'm wrong, which I have been in the past...lol

Also, how many head-to-head recruiting battles have we won over AZ?
    Tommy is a player's coach... the minute he took the AZ job the writing was on the wall, see it or not... GU South is a very attractive option to trudging across the tundra in Spokane this time of year... you gots to watch out where the huskies go and stay away from the yellow snow.... a misquote from Zappa.... but you get the picture...

Just my opinion

Go Zags...
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Louisville?

On the recruiting side of things, Stromer has unofficially visited the campuses of Arizona, Gonzaga, and UCLA. Louisville is the only program to receive an official visit from him as of now and the differences between what is prioritized in Kentucky versus California was eye-opening to him.

“The school is amazing because it is so much different from the West Coast,” Stromer said. “Everyone is so into basketball there because it is the only show in town. The fans there are unreal and the atmosphere is insane. It is like a family over there with their coaching staff. They really care about their players and that really resonated with my mom and I.”
    - note to dusty............you want 'family' and the 'only game in town?' nobody beats gonzaga in either of those categories.