Thread: Friendly reminder to the savvy, insider, BB aficionados on the GU Board

Default Friendly reminder to the savvy, insider, BB aficionados on the GU Board

I love that you are the brains of this Forum; I take 99% of the content you offer, and cannot offer even 1% back, except in being a gung ho zag nation enthusiast, and love being in the community around here.
    This is a lull time before the season, so its a good idea, I think, to remind all posters of the audience which reads in here. There may be 150 basketball brains in here giving the readers valuable info and insights about the zags that cannot be found elsewhere. There are also tens of thousands of zag fans in zag nation, and some of them read here without ever registering, while many others register and say little. This is about the 150 using insider references, acronyms, lingo, short cuts, and making assumptions about what the readers know.

Look at this mess below:
    MU – Marquette Univ
    UM – Univ of Miami
    U-M - UM,UMich,UofM
    MU Missou,Missouri
    UM – M, Univ of Montana
    UMaine – UMO, Maine
    UM – Univ of Mississippi, Ole Miss,
    UofM – Minnesota, TwinCities, BlockM(neutraface Font)
    UMD – Maryland

WSU – Wash State Univ
    WSU – Wichita St Univ
    WSU – Western State Univ
    WSU – Wayne State Univ
    WSU – Winona State Univ
    WSU – Wright State Univ
    WSU – Weber State Univ

OSU – Oregon State Univ
    OSU – Ohio State Univ
    OSU – Oklahoma State Univ

UW – Udub, Univ of Wash
    UW – Univ of Wisconsin, UofW
    UW – Univ of Wyoming

UA – Univ of Arkansas
    UA – Univ of Albany
    UA – Univ of Akron
    UA – Univ of Alaska, UAK, UAF
    UA – Univ of Alabama
    UA – Univ of Arizona

I know, I know, this is not a newspaper. It is conversations between individuals, though sometimes messages sent to all readers. Yet each conversation between two individuals is being read by hundreds or more other folks, kind of like a podcast conversation.

A few days ago in the Harris thread, Jazz mentioned Black was a heavy lean towards OSU. I have teased Jazz and others before about insider phrases and acronyms, cuz its a small thing not a big thing, (but enough that I wanted to bring it up when the board is off-season). Although I am slow on the uptake I knew about Black and knew it was not Oregon St Univ that he was referring to.
    And when people talk about JP, I can virtually always gain from the context whether the reference is to JP Batista, Jeremy Pargo, or Josh Perkins. Etc. etc.

In communication skills this is known as speaking to others as if they were capable of 'mind-reading.' Sometimes the insider jargon gets rolling on this Board, and I find myself diving into a Google Journey to keep up. Maybe some others too. its a small thing, but might be meaningful to casual readers. For some of us, we appreciate when the writers add a couple of more letters, or phrases, which helps more fans feel they belong in the loop.
    This is the year we want to kill it, make the Final 4, and hopefully the national title.
    GoZags !!

Another friendly reminder: parents do read the threads on this Board, so keep it positive and classy.

Several years ago, I posted a thread regarding my observations about Drew Timme. It was just after he played against our local HS.

I met Drew's mom after the A&M game, and I dropped my Board handle. Without hesitation, she said, "I liked your report on Drew."

ZGZ. As the only poster cited, I understand your comment, as you’ve made it before. But I’m not sure what the solution is. Shorthand, jargon, initials, acronyms are essential parts of the language here, and elsewhere online. Twitter only magnified and certified it. I will do my best to avoid confusion, but this, if you will, is a post graduate level board of chatter among Zag fans. As well, there is a learning curve but one that isn’t all that difficult. Meanwhile, there are other sites that are more entry level and they are just as great for the cause of GU hoops. Btw, I’m guessing a majority here know with respect to Black it’s Oklahoma State University, and I doubt we’ll ever play WSU, er, Winona State, but given our scheduling philosophy of late, ya never know. Aren’t they called the Cigar Store Indians; oops, insider Seinfeld reference, sorry.

Default Agree with GoZagsGo

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Shorthand, jargon, initials, acronyms are essential parts of the language here
    It is far from essential, it is laziness. There are no character limitations here. Once the person/name/entity has been established, then fine. You know, like real writers actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by North Idaho Zag View Post
    It is far from essential, it is laziness. There are no character limitations here. Once the person/name/entity has been established, then fine. You know, like real writers actually do.
    Agree

The overall context of the thread (or current topic) will also be a big help. For example, if I'm talking about something that is Pac-12 related, and I type "OSU", then it's pretty obvious I am talking about Oregon State University and not the college in Columbus Ohio.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by North Idaho Zag View Post
    Um, agree, but I prefer to save my type strokes for, you know, my real writing, the kind I do for a living.

Never had a problem following shorthand on site.

Ok-- Back to your real work -- can you draw a Snoopy for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Ok-- Back to your real work -- can you draw a Snoopy for me?
    Mr Schulz is way outta my league, sorry to say.

Are you referring to Butler Bulldog or Baylor Bear aficionados in the subject, can't keep up with your shorthands!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Are you referring to Butler Bulldog or Baylor Bear aficionados in the subject, can't keep up with your shorthands!!
    well played

Hahaha.

If this is anywhere near the top of the lists this forum needs to be concerned with, it's gonna be clear sailing for the season.

In case there were some that were missed, I have included this link for reference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._United_States

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    LOL
    Bring back the OCC

thanks Kitz , interesting,
    on that source the only GU in the nation is Georgetown
    and our only moniker is GONZ

One must always remember the 'U' where needed, otherwise it's just BS.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?