Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kraziness in the Kennel Oct 9, 2021

So is there now a belief that Gregg will get meaningful minutes this year at the 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Thanks for the link, scrooner! Got to see the scrimmage after all! (Think I'll watch it another ten times before Exhibition #01.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCymxlNClvc
    (post-Kraziness)

Here we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxRDeF_zxvw

:]

<Well, assuming it'll replay.>
    Thanks for the link Kidwell, 'you the man.'
    our team looks like dynamite. wow
    thanks for the ribbing on Hicks, made me burst out laughing ...

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    So is there now a belief that Gregg will get meaningful minutes this year at the 4?
    Gotta think so, right? Just the ability to stretch the floor with his 3pt shot a la Tillie certainly seems to lend itself to garnering some minutes. Perhaps we'll see a similar 4-man frontcourt rotation to the 2017 team (Karnowski, JWIII, Tillie, and Collins) with Holmgren/Timme/Watson/Gregg? Of course Perry looked really, really good as well! And this doesn't even take into consideration running a small-ball lineup with Strawther at the 4!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Gotta think so, right? Just the ability to stretch the floor with his 3pt shot a la Tillie certainly seems to lend itself to garnering some minutes. Perhaps we'll see a similar 4-man frontcourt rotation to the 2017 team (Karnowski, JWIII, Tillie, and Collins) with Holmgren/Timme/Watson/Gregg? Of course Perry looked really, really good as well! And this doesn't even take into consideration running a small-ball lineup with Strawther at the 4!
    Should have last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Thanks for the link Kidwell…
    thanks for the ribbing on Hicks, made me burst out laughing ...
    You guys are catching on fast.

After watching the vid and highlights my two biggest takeaways:
    - these guys love playing together and seem to really care for one another. Lots of smiles and celebrating one another.
    - Gregg and Perry are more ready to contribute than I expected. Gregg moves so confidently within the offense making quick decisions and Perry can provide defensive muscle down low. *Hope Few goes FSU Leonard Hamilton deep rotation style this season. Talent appears to be 2 deep at every position. Wowser!
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Highlights looked like we have 4 very talented guards plus dom when he gets back to full strength. Strawther could average 13-15 ppg this year. I think he starts at the 3. A pure scorer. And athletic enough to play D Too. Perry will help this year. Gregg could get minutes. I’m seeing a 10 man rotation … I mean who sits?

Hickman
    Nembhard
    Strawther
    Watson
    Holmgren
    Timme
    Sallis
    Bolton
    Gregg
    Perry

I’ll say it again….practices will be more fun for players than most WCC games.IMO

Highlights looked like we have 4 very talented guards plus dom when he gets back to full strength. Strawther could average 13-15 ppg this year. I think he starts at the 3. A pure scorer. And athletic enough to play D Too. Perry will help this year. Gregg could get minutes. I’m seeing a 10 man rotation … I mean who sits?

Hickman
    Nembhard
    Strawther
    Watson
    Holmgren
    Timme
    Sallis
    Bolton
    Gregg
    Perry
    Dom sits

The first thing that crossed my mind after the scrimmage was rim protection is not going to be an issue like it's been since Brandon Clarke left. It's not just Holmgren either. If that scrimmage was any indication, we'll average 6+ blocks as a team this season.
    As was mentioned earlier, Strawther played extremely well, didn't seem to be selfishly hunting shots, just recognized the proper times to call his own number.
    The same could be said about Gregg from what I saw. Wouldn't be surprised if Ben is the first big off the bench at all. Although, if I'm being completely honest, based solely off of the 15 minutes of scrimmage today, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gregg finishing games along side Timme instead of Holmgren. I saw a lot of 2nd or 3rd year Tillie in Ben ,whereas I saw a lot of 1st year Austin Daye in Holmgren. But again, it's 15 minutes of scrimmage.
    Timme and Nembhard did what all upperclassmen do during Kraziness, set the table for the newbies and make a few good plays of their own.
    Watson seemed very aggressive early on offense, then kinda regressed. But Anton definitely seemed to be in better shape and more in the moment than last year where you could tell he was over thinking a lot. Hopefully that continues.
    Perry, my first impression of him is that he's a "get outta my way" kind of attacking the rim player on offense.
    Hickman, Sallis and Bolton.....I can honestly see these 3 sharing a ton of minutes depending on what the team needs. All 3 definitely have skills needed to help the team on any given night. But I'll be honest, I wasn't really that focused on them.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Dom sits
    Dom isn’t healthy but when he is he can still provide spark off the bench

Dom isn’t healthy but when he is he can still provide spark off the bench
    Don’t think he’s a Microwave type player off the bench. Needs PT to be a contributor. Given our dearth of backcourt recruits so far this year, his best days are ahead.

Unusually cheerful Jazz I hope your prognostication is correct. I like Dom . Team is so loaded though. I do not know the extent of damage to his foot . I hope he bounces back but keeping in the stable for next year might be a thought if he needs months of rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Unusually cheerful Jazz I hope your prognostication is correct. I like Dom . Team is so loaded though. I do not know the extent of damage to his foot . I hope he bounces back but keeping in the stable for next year might be a thought if he needs months of rehab.
    Just love the way he’s carried himself the past 2 years. Covid, recruited over, jerked in games, now this. Solid kid. Deserves a great coda to his GU career.

Superior family and raised so very well. He's a kid who needs to excel.....not just in basketball. Keeping fingers crossed for him/..

I am also rooting for Dom. Great guy
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    After watching the vid and highlights my two biggest takeaways:
    - these guys love playing together and seem to really care for one another. Lots of smiles and celebrating one another.
    - Gregg and Perry are more ready to contribute than I expected. Gregg moves so confidently within the offense making quick decisions and Perry can provide defensive muscle down low. *Hope Few goes FSU Leonard Hamilton deep rotation style this season. Talent appears to be 2 deep at every position. Wowser!
    I agree that there is an abundance of talent. More than any other year. However, the idea that Few goes all Leonard Hamilton on us is an idea knocked about nearly every year. Few just doesn't even seem to entertain it. He nearly always goes with seven and a half players with meaningful playing time except when he is up against Dixie State or the Portlands and Pacifics in the WCC. It's just the way it is.

But, who knows? This could be the year. I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Don’t think he’s a Microwave type player off the bench. Needs PT to be a contributor. Given our dearth of backcourt recruits so far this year, his best days are ahead.
    Next year

I have no background in playing or coaching, but as a fan, it seems in past years GU has had some great front-line players, but they were limited to just 4. If a fifth big man (Power forward and/or Center) was needed the skill level dropped rather quickly. This year's team of big men includes 5 really impressive athletes. Perry, Watson, Timme, Gregg, and Holmgren. Players can be more aggressive on both ends of the floor if that is the case.
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

I think people will be surprised at how much playing time Watson gets. He started fast looked good then backed off and played good defense. He is kind of like our "glue guy".
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

“Surreal”: Kraziness Provides Answers to Many Questions

https://zagaholic.squarespace.com/wo...many-questions

Must’ve been great. Would’ve liked to have seen it in real time. Note to new GU AD Admin, a peach basket is for throwing the ball into, not for hiding your magnificent CBB program under.

Agree that Watson has the potential to be a fantastic glue guy, but he has to rebound. We need rebounding from the big opposite Drew, especially against the big boys.

5 reactions to Kraziness in the Kennel from Seth Sommerfeld at the Spokane Inlander:

Here: https://www.inlander.com/spokane/5-r...t?oid=22499806