Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kraziness in the Kennel Oct 9, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Abe, did you see any of the scrimmage on the stream? But then again, you are probably "in area"
    nope Spikester... it never returned. Perhaps the 4 pm showing. I hope so but from what I saw of the prelims, this is a hugely gifted team athletically. Best in a while. Hope they do show the scrimmage.

Scrimmage was a 38-38 tie with Gregg nailing a 3 with 2 seconds left. A few observations. Timme was Timme and looked good. Strawther did everything well and was probably the best player on the floor during that 15 minute scrimmage, with Gregg not far behind. Chet showed some rim protection. Looked a little tired to me. Perry is a physical specimen with major hops and no fear. He will be something to watch in the future. Overall, the usual scrimmage stalemate at times because they know each other so well. A super athletic and talented team. Salis and Bolton are very athletic. Not sure how the minutes will be carved up.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Scrimmage was a 38-38 tie with Gregg nailing a 3 with 2 seconds left. A few observations. Timme was Timme and looked good. Strawther did everything well and was probably the best player on the floor during that 15 minute scrimmage, with Gregg not far behind. Chet showed some rim protection. Looked a little tired to me. Perry is a physical specimen with major hops and no fear. He will be something to watch in the future. Overall, the usual scrimmage stalemate at times because they know each other so well. A super athletic and talented team. Salis and Bolton are very athletic. Not sure how the minutes will be carved up.
    Thanks for the recap. So glad to hear perry looks healthy. If there was a weakness on this team coming in I would say it’s depth inside. Perry healthy will be huge

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Thanks. Gregg for President!

Is there a replay now?

Any chants for the new recruit...
    America's Team!

Maybe? It says it's coming up....

https://www.khq.com/sports/livesport...0c10294b4.html

It's on!

No 3 point contest?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    No 3 point contest?
    Hicks win it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Hicks win it.
    Is that short for Hickman?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Thanks for the link, scrooner! Got to see the scrimmage after all! (Think I'll watch it another ten times before Exhibition #01.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCymxlNClvc
    (post-Kraziness)

Here we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxRDeF_zxvw

:]

<Well, assuming it'll replay.>
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Watson more aggressive on offense is a good thing...

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Is that short for Hickman?
    Well, we have no Hickenlooper.

Nembhard post game interview....asked about distraction of Few...."We're here to talk about basketball"...guessing that's the company line.

I had no problem waiting until 4 pm for the scrimmage. I had things to do earlier. The scrimmage started out slow and very ragged, which would be expected with so many new, and young players. All players played with intensity and energy which says a lot to me for a scrimmage. I thought the defenses were pretty good for this early. As was said the game ended in a tie, which was indicative of the play. There were lots of good players and lots of good plays, and I felt both teams really wanted to win so it was pretty competitive.

Biggest for me was Gregg. He most definitely took the most shots of anyone, and in the end he tied the game with a 3 pointer at the buzzer. His play was very fluid and very mature (meaning that he looked like a veteran who knew what he was doing. Next biggest surprise was that Timme didn't do much. He looked content to let the others guys show what they had as I'm sure a lot of players are fighting for playing time. Timme played mostly outside which also surprised me. Finally, on the negative side I was surprised that Holmgren didn't do much on offense. However, he did have two blocks. It was advertised that he was a good shot blocker and he is, and that will definitely help.

I most impressed with the guard play, which isn't a surprise because there are some really good guards. Nembhard was very aggressive on offense, which was good. He also took a lot of shots, made some and missed some. Overall, I enjoy his game because he's so good with the basketball in his hands. I felt that maybe he tried to score a little too often. He did hit a couple nice 3's. Hickman is as good, and as beautiful to watch as was advertised. He was a little shaky at time with the ball in his hands, but as the game wore on he got smoother and smoother. He hit some nice shots. Bolton showed some really good things with his passing, and did make a couple really good shots including a 3.

I was also very impressed with Strawther. He may have been the leading scorer, and was the leading rebounder I am sure. I loved his energy. He was constantly in the thick of things. He has many, many moves and can shoot from all over. He will b e a very good scorer I am sure. I think Perry looked much better than Watson, IMO. Unfortunately I did not see any improvement in Watson, especially in his energy and rebounding. I was disappointed in his play. Perry is strong, big, muscular and IMO tough. I like his size and his confidence. Sallis is quick with the ball and is a very good attacker. He is very quick with the ball.

Things I noticed about the team that stood out is their speed and quickness. Last years team had the same quality, and they scored a lot of points. I think this team will be very similar. The guards on Last years team attacked the rim with speed and strength and good ball handling in traffic. I saw the same thing with these guys. Our guards are very, very tough and handle the ball well. The guards are also very good on defense like last years team and I predict we'll see a lot of steals by them. There was a fairly good number of them in this game.

As I said earlier, I was impressed by Gregg. I think he's going to help the team a lot. He's got real good size, big shoulders and is very confident with shooting. I think he will pull back on that part of his game, but still he has a lot to offer on his size, his toughness, his knowledge of the game. I had questions about the inside players and I am feeling good after watching them scrimmage. I felt the team looked pretty solid after a sluggish start. As the game wore on the players got better and better and played with lots of confidence. For this early in the year Overall I was pretty impressed, especially by the intensity of the game.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I was impressed with Watson's inside and outside shooting. I thought Chet's footwork was excellent might need more playing time to adjust. I thought Ben Greg had the best overall game. He appeared like the most bulked up player on the court. Built well and his chest and arms looked massive. Unbelievable as a group of players. All individual offensive skills are off the charts. Hard to really see defense in this game.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Hickman made a couple of bad turnovers...just saying. he's learning about D1 speed and length

Itís wonderful hearing people talk about ben Gregg.. I honestly didnít think he would get much time if any at all during meaningful games this year, but maybe heís improved a lot and will surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Hard to really see defense in this game.
    I saw some very very good defensive playes. There must have been 7 or 8 blocked shots by 4 or 5 different players. I saw someone stuff one of Timme's inside shots. As I mentioned Holmgren had two really nice rejections. I saw at least 5 or six steals by defensive guards. I was also looking at the intensity and speed of the D. REally good offensive players to have a tendency to make defense look bad, but I didn't see a lot of inside baskets, and a whole lot of 3's. And really not a lot of them were made.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The freshmen looked like freshmen - really talented freshmen - but freshmen.

The sophomores looked really good. Gregg and Strawther looked like the best players on the floor.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

I enjoyed the scrimmage. I feel bad for Dominic not playing.

As expected returning players Timme and Nembard looked great. Julian is ready to step up. Anton looked like a much more confident player. Fluid and less bulky in his movement. I was most impressed with Ben Gregg. He played like he is not willing to sit back and watch. Ben doesn't have the length of Tillie but plays with the same energy. I see Arlauskas out there hustling even though he knows it's going to be tough to get on the floor.

The new comers were also very exciting. Chet is going to have a x on his back playing as the #1 recruit. He will have opponents attacking him on the court and a few fans on the board if he has a tough outing. Hopfully he has the season we all expect. The speed of Hickman and Bolton and athleticism of Sallis and Perry put this group over the top. I think Perry is going to be a special player in the future.

Hats off to the walk-ons. Without them the team wouldn't be ready for the great upcoming season.

Go Zags!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I BELIEVE Nembhard will be the straw

Some thoughts:

Watson: they were warming up directly in front of me and I noticed that Watson was shooting a lot of three-point shots and he looked very smooth and was hitting a lot of them. I believe he took a couple at least during the scrimmage also. I think that's a great sign because if he can hit the three, he's going to be more effective. Unlike some I thought Watson was hustling a lot and playing really hard. He has an even demeanor, but he was playing hard. he looks really big and strong, and he looked very fluid to me. I think he's going to have a really good season

Stawther: I was super impressed. like last year he looks like a beautiful offensive player- very fluid, very confident can hit all kinds of shots. He has great size and athleticism. I think he's going to be a terrific asset this year.

Gregg: like others I was very impressed with him. what surprised me the most was how confident he played - he played like an upperclassman. he looked really really good

Sallis: I was super impressed by Hunter. he was right in front of me when he did that dunk that won the slam dunk contest. I thought it was one of the more amazing dunks I'd ever seen. the reason is he went up to the hoop and the ball was very close to him when he grabbed it, and the speed with which he grabbed it and then slammed it was pretty amazing. It was an amazing combination of quickness and speed and control. the whole motion look like it was on video that had been turned up to 1 1/2 times normal speed. It was really quite impressive. I think he's going to be an outstanding player for the team this year

Holmgren: he looked a little bit uncomfortable tonight although his skills are really apparent. As skilled and experienced he is playing against high level competition I'm guessing it's going to take him a while to get in the groove, but I have no concerns whatsoever.

Hickman: one thing I really liked about him was that he seems a bit understated, in a good way, meaning that with the pedigree he has, and his reputation and skill set etc. I thought he would be more overtly expressive or something. But he seemed to be all business, totally focused on what he was doing and not trying to impress with being flashy, though a lot of what he did was inherently flashy in the sense of his speed and his moves and his athleticism.

Timme: I might be reading more into this than is there, but he seemed to take a lot of three point shots in the warmup and I found myself thinking that that's an area of his game he has to improve to be effective at the next level, so he is working on it, but frankly watching him shoot in warmup it didn't look like he had a terrific stroke or shot from outside at this point, although it's certainly a very very small sample. He spoke and was clearly a leader on the team and the team seemed really rally around him in some ways. He's such a positive warm personality that he's fun to watch. when he went to his normal inside footwork moves it was a thing of beauty and there was no stopping it.

All in all, I was super impressed with the level of athleticism in speed and shooting. as young as this team is I still think that we have a really good chance of beating the high level teams were going to be playing early on. there's so much talent and skill in athleticism and so many of them.

I really missed seeing Dominic play and hope he has a quick recovery.

Great post Fone! Agree. So surprised by Ben and Strawther. Excellent players . Where does Coach Few put all of this talent.!!