X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagamatic
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2009

The first thing that crossed my mind after the scrimmage was rim protection is not going to be an issue like it's been since Brandon Clarke left. It's not just Holmgren either. If that scrimmage was any indication, we'll average 6+ blocks as a team this season.
    As was mentioned earlier, Strawther played extremely well, didn't seem to be selfishly hunting shots, just recognized the proper times to call his own number.
    The same could be said about Gregg from what I saw. Wouldn't be surprised if Ben is the first big off the bench at all. Although, if I'm being completely honest, based solely off of the 15 minutes of scrimmage today, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gregg finishing games along side Timme instead of Holmgren. I saw a lot of 2nd or 3rd year Tillie in Ben ,whereas I saw a lot of 1st year Austin Daye in Holmgren. But again, it's 15 minutes of scrimmage.
    Timme and Nembhard did what all upperclassmen do during Kraziness, set the table for the newbies and make a few good plays of their own.
    Watson seemed very aggressive early on offense, then kinda regressed. But Anton definitely seemed to be in better shape and more in the moment than last year where you could tell he was over thinking a lot. Hopefully that continues.
    Perry, my first impression of him is that he's a "get outta my way" kind of attacking the rim player on offense.
    Hickman, Sallis and Bolton.....I can honestly see these 3 sharing a ton of minutes depending on what the team needs. All 3 definitely have skills needed to help the team on any given night. But I'll be honest, I wasn't really that focused on them.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
      Dom sits
      Dom isn’t healthy but when he is he can still provide spark off the bench

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
        Dom isn’t healthy but when he is he can still provide spark off the bench
        Don’t think he’s a Microwave type player off the bench. Needs PT to be a contributor. Given our dearth of backcourt recruits so far this year, his best days are ahead.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80
          Unusually cheerful Jazz I hope your prognostication is correct. I like Dom . Team is so loaded though. I do not know the extent of damage to his foot . I hope he bounces back but keeping in the stable for next year might be a thought if he needs months of rehab.
          Just love the way he’s carried himself the past 2 years. Covid, recruited over, jerked in games, now this. Solid kid. Deserves a great coda to his GU career.

Comment

• Irish_eliZAG
            Kennel Club Alum
            • Aug 2018

I am also rooting for Dom. Great guy
            Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
              After watching the vid and highlights my two biggest takeaways:
              - these guys love playing together and seem to really care for one another. Lots of smiles and celebrating one another.
              - Gregg and Perry are more ready to contribute than I expected. Gregg moves so confidently within the offense making quick decisions and Perry can provide defensive muscle down low. *Hope Few goes FSU Leonard Hamilton deep rotation style this season. Talent appears to be 2 deep at every position. Wowser!
              I agree that there is an abundance of talent. More than any other year. However, the idea that Few goes all Leonard Hamilton on us is an idea knocked about nearly every year. Few just doesn't even seem to entertain it. He nearly always goes with seven and a half players with meaningful playing time except when he is up against Dixie State or the Portlands and Pacifics in the WCC. It's just the way it is.

But, who knows? This could be the year. I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it.

Comment

• IowaSERE
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                Don’t think he’s a Microwave type player off the bench. Needs PT to be a contributor. Given our dearth of backcourt recruits so far this year, his best days are ahead.
                Next year

Comment

• Zerogame
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Oct 2007

I have no background in playing or coaching, but as a fan, it seems in past years GU has had some great front-line players, but they were limited to just 4. If a fifth big man (Power forward and/or Center) was needed the skill level dropped rather quickly. This year's team of big men includes 5 really impressive athletes. Perry, Watson, Timme, Gregg, and Holmgren. Players can be more aggressive on both ends of the floor if that is the case.
                  "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Comment

• zag buddy
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2007

I think people will be surprised at how much playing time Watson gets. He started fast looked good then backed off and played good defense. He is kind of like our "glue guy".

Comment

• Zagdawg
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

“Surreal”: Kraziness Provides Answers to Many Questions

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Must’ve been great. Would’ve liked to have seen it in real time. Note to new GU AD Admin, a peach basket is for throwing the ball into, not for hiding your magnificent CBB program under.

Comment

• Hogan
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2007

Agree that Watson has the potential to be a fantastic glue guy, but he has to rebound. We need rebounding from the big opposite Drew, especially against the big boys.

Comment

• Section 116
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

5 reactions to Kraziness in the Kennel from Seth Sommerfeld at the Spokane Inlander:

Here: https://www.inlander.com/spokane/5-r...t?oid=22499806

Comment

Working...
                            X