Thread: NCAA to Look into Holding both Final Fours in Same City

Default NCAA to Look into Holding both Final Fours in Same City

From the Associated Press:

NCAA to Look into Holding both Final Fours in Same City
    Associated Press

The NCAA is exploring holding a joint Final Four with the men and women's basketball tournaments holding their semifinals and title games in the same city on the same weekend, though it would not happen until at least 2027 with sites already locked in through 2026.

Combining the tournaments was one of the recommendations stemming from an external review of gender equity issues of the tournaments. The report released in August was sparked by outrage at the disparities between amenities at the two tourneys, including weight rooms and other features.
    You can read the entire article here: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ours-same-city

I think the Mbb tournament will drown out the Wbb tournament and tend to minimize the Wbb tournament. I think they should keep the semi-finals and finals in separate cities.

What say you Lady Zag fans?

ZagDad

Great...separate is never equal...

I agree ZagDad. The women's tournament is just never going to get as much attention as the men's, and having it in the same place at the same time is only going to make it worse.

I think it depends on the size of the city. If it’s LA or New York, probably no big deal. Smaller cities, maybe. That said, I think having the Men and Women’s WCC Tournaments in Las Vegas at the same facility at the same time has been, at least for the Gonzaga Women, a huge boost. The games are packed, and the fans loud. BYU Women also seem to have a lot of support. It’s unquestionable that Gonzaga Women fans will travel and I think the rabid fans for all successful programs will. Personally I think it would be cool to be able to see both the Men’s and Women’s Championships in the same city. Wait - we already do that in Las Vegas!

After thinking about this for a little bit, I may have changed my mind.

I watched this year's U.S. Open tennis tournament on Labor Day weekend. The U.S. Open is a combined Men's and Women's tournament that is marketed as a single event, not sperate Men's and Women's tournaments. The Men and Women have their semi-finals and finals on separate days; the women had their semi-finals on Thursday and finals on Saturday while the men had their semi-finals on Friday and finals on Sunday.

If the NCAA would do these three (3) things, I think a combined event would work and may even help build the Wbb market.

First, market the combined semi-finals and finals as a single event, the cumulation of March Madness. Do not market the event as separate events, women's and men's events.

Secondly, hold the women's and men's semi-finals and finals on separate days so each gender gets their "day" in the spotlight. Maybe the finals could be held on the same day with the Women's finals as a lead-in to the Men's final. Say hold the Women's finals at 5:00 PM and the Men's final at 8:00 PM leaving the women's game at prime time and the men's game slightly after. We really do not need 2-3 hours lead-in to the men's final.

Finally, the semi-finals and finals (if held on separate days) for both men and women are to be televised at the same times (different days) on the same network. You simply do not play the women's finals at noon and the men at 7:00 pm. You also do not put the women on USA and the men on CBS.

The above is how the U.S. Open did it and it worked very well. Maybe it would work equally well with March Madness.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    That said, I think having the Men and Women’s WCC Tournaments in Las Vegas at the same facility at the same time has been, at least for the Gonzaga Women, a huge boost. The games are packed, and the fans loud. BYU Women also seem to have a lot of support. It’s unquestionable that Gonzaga Women fans will travel and I think the rabid fans for all successful programs will. Personally I think it would be cool to be able to see both the Men’s and Women’s Championships in the same city. Wait - we already do that in Las Vegas!
    If you take the last year fans were permitted in the Kennel, the Lady Zags averaged 5,692 fans per home game, almost a sellout for every home game. Yes, BYU has by far, the second best attendance in the WCC for Wbb, they averaged, 1478 fans per home game. Not very good for a university with over 35,000 students. When you figure BYU plays in the Marriot Center with over 17,000 seats, 1,478 fans just rattle around in the arena. In fact, more Lady Zags attend home games in the Kennel than fans attend all of the other WCC games combined, including BYU. In Las Vegas, I don't remember a Wbb game where there were more fans at any given game than there were Lady Zag fans, even for those games which Gonzaga was not playing.

In women's basketball in the WCC, there are Lady Zag fans and then there is everybody else.

ZagDad

I would play the semi finals and the finals for both on the same day in the same place......with the women's game first.... with the objective of gaining new fans among those who have never seen a women's game....... and I would split the revenue 50/50.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I would play the semi finals and the finals for both on the same day in the same place......with the women's game first.... with the objective of gaining new fans among those who have never seen a women's game....... and I would split the revenue 50/50.....
    What do you think about splitting the semi-finals; 1st women's semi-final, 1st men's semi-final, 2nd women's semi-final and finish up with 2nd men's semi-final with separate tickets for each session. Society, like many on the men's side of this board, could care less about women's basketball, whatever, their loss. If you give fans a choice of attending the Men's semi-finals or the women's semi-finals or both, there would be some cross-over but not near as much as you might think.

It happens in Vegas, where the Lady Zags get some cross-over from the Mbb side, but it is likely not more than 20-30% for the championship game and for the games leading into the finals, the golf course is more appealing than the Lady Zag quarterfinal or semi-final game.

I think if you play the women in one session and the men in a separate session, there would be some crossover, but not near as much as you might think. If you split the games into two sessions, with both sessions having a men's and women's game, I think you might get some more crossover. This might be the best choice overall.

Zag fans??

ZagDad

Make the fans eat their veggies before they get desert.....just maybe...... some will discover they like vegetables..... or not... whining is a sign of progress....