Thread: Rui out indefinitely.

"Indefinitely?" Could be a couple of weeks.

For “personal reasons” so likely not an injury. Hope everything is alright with him and his family, but only speculation at this point on the reason.

"thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Smile Rui, Rui, Rui!

Rui is one of this fan's all-time favorite Zags. Hope he's back soon and on track or a great season, then a big fat new contract in a couple years.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Not sure of the validity of this but this guy appears to be knowledgeable. It certainly would not come as a surprise considering the number of high profile athletes who have recently come forward expressing similar concerns:

Link: https://twitter.com/RealQuintonMayo/...63986230829061

God bless you, Rui. Take whatever time you need. Too often, that kind of million dollar smile and deep humanity belie issues.

Best of luck, I hope he gets the time away and help/support he needs!

Growing up as a tall black kid in an insular and homogenous society like Japan has gotta leave some deep psychic scars, no matter how well one is doing in life. It's always difficult being different from those around you.

There was a Japanese guy who played ball at the gym I go to a few yrs ago who played college level ball in Japan, and when Rui came up in conversation, he said Rui was "not really Japanese" fwiw. No malicious intent, but a glimpse into the national mindset.

(I've mentioned before that as a child of Lutheran missionaries in the '50's I lived in Japan until I was almost 7, and my parents had lifelong Japanese friends.)

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Growing up as a tall black kid in an insular and homogenous society like Japan has gotta leave some deep psychic scars, no matter how well one is doing in life. It's always difficult being different from those around you.

There was a Japanese guy who played ball at the gym I go to a few yrs ago who played college level ball in Japan, and when Rui came up in conversation, he said Rui was "not really Japanese" fwiw. No malicious intent, but a glimpse into the national mindset.

(I've mentioned before that as a child of Lutheran missionaries in the '50's I lived in Japan until I was almost 7, and my parents had lifelong Japanese friends.)
    And yet, now, in addition to all the 2nd year pressure, especially with the Wizards, he carries the weight of Japan on his back.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2021/...gram-unfollows

Basically, Rui's taking a mental health break. The young man has been going nonstop for at least 12 months with little or no break. He'll be back soon enough.

It appears Rui and younger brother Aren receiving racial abuse.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...cist-messages/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    It appears Rui and younger brother Aren receiving racial abuse.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...cist-messages/

Just FYI, that was a May 3, 2021 game that Rui played in.

I understand that. I was sharing the article talking about what Rui and his brother are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I understand that. I was sharing the article talking about what Rui and his brother are experiencing.

It must be odd to be a celebrity (of sorts) in Japan with lots of commercials, so in the public eye and at the same time to be reviled because of their color.

Japan, to my knowledge and admittedly never having lived there, always tried to maintain a cultural purity. Someone that has lived there could speak better towards that. We, as a country, are not that far away from having the same problems in many parts of our country. The myriad of names that have been used, to define the amount of colored blood one has is immense, as well as the prejudice against someone with that blood.
    I hope that we, and the world, can get past that, but much like Jackie Robinson in baseball, it has to start somewhere and with one, or two, persons.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    It must be odd to be a celebrity (of sorts) in Japan with lots of commercials, so in the public eye and at the same time to be reviled because of their color.

Japan, to my knowledge and admittedly never having lived there, always tried to maintain a cultural purity. Someone that has lived there could speak better towards that. We, as a country, are not that far away from having the same problems in many parts of our country. The myriad of names that have been used, to define the amount of colored blood one has is immense, as well as the prejudice against someone with that blood.
    I hope that we, and the world, can get past that, but much like Jackie Robinson in baseball, it has to start somewhere and with one, or two, persons.
    Just now saw this post...so very sad and I feel badly for him and his brother and actually, all minorities that have to suffer these types of comments...

Yes, willandi it is very unfortunate that this country, which has always been mentioned as a melting pot, has I estimate millions of people in this country that feel superior to minorities. My wife has gone through this in the senior community where we live with 15K others...will it ever change, I do not believe so but we can hope...

Wizards concerned about Rui Hachimura?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wizards...073306663.html

Rui is back with the team and starting to work with the team now. He is conditioning and having to learn a brand new play book. Wes Unseld Jr is working with him on that as well. Might be end of November before he is up to speed and on the floor.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Rui is back with the team and starting to work with the team now. He is conditioning and having to learn a brand new play book. Wes Unseld Jr is working with him on that as well. Might be end of November before he is up to speed and on the floor.
    Good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    In the interim, Corey has been getting more minutes. I still think the Wizards are showcasing Kuzma for a trade later this season.

Rui Hachimura to begin practicing with Go-Go soon

Hachimura, 23, could start working with them as soon as Monday. He has been doing individual work at the Wizards' practice facility in southeast D.C. since arriving in town in early October.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rui-hac...041215356.html