X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagfan1
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Every school and conference schedules lower tier games from smaller conferences. This one seems to provide added PR due to the nature of the conference and it’s respective universities. WCC could do the same thing as well. I guess that speaks volumes about the WCC. It’s too good of a conference to schedule regular games with because PAC 12 could risk a loss.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
      Doesn't the PAC have to actually WIN those games to generate kind words etc.?
      I assume you're being facetious. These are all gimmes for the Pacsters, except for UDub, of course.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagfan1 View Post
        Every school and conference schedules lower tier games from smaller conferences. This one seems to provide added PR due to the nature of the conference and it’s respective universities. WCC could do the same thing as well. I guess that speaks volumes about the WCC. It’s too good of a conference to schedule regular games with because PAC 12 could risk a loss.
        Zags have played SWACs in the past. Should play more. But for a school or conference to actually codify such a relationship and to state one of the goals is advancing social justice is patronizing to the nth degree. The HBCUs have been in the trenches of social justice for many many years. Fight On!

Comment

• ZagsObserver
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by zagfan1 View Post
          Yes, but they certainly don’t offer home-and-home arrangements!

Comment

• 509er
            Kennel Club Material
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by MDABE80
            With any luck we might get a game with the PAC outside of UCLA. I am continually amazed why the PAC isn’t scheduling more of GU when it would be so convenient for that league. Washington is a given . UCLA makes sense too.
            GU won’t play WSU in a home and home. I doubt they would play OSU, Cal, Utah, Colo and possibly AsU and Stanford for similar reasons as not playing WSU on the road (little upside). That leaves Az who right now is on pause, UCLA and USC. Oregon would be worthy from a sOS standpoint but from what I understand Few isn’t intersted in playing his alma mater.

Comment

• bartruff1
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
              Good for the SWAC.
              Absolutely .......it is amazing that a number of institutions, not including the government, are leading the movement to a more just society and a cleaner environment .....

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                Absolutely .......it is amazing that a number of institutions, not including the government, are leading the movement to a more just society and a cleaner environment .....
                If the goal is truth and beauty and anti-racism applies to all forms of the term, I completely agree, Bart.

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MDABE80
                  A handout program in basketball Bart??
                  I think it is a wonderful, generous and important gesture that will greatly benefit both ....but especially the Black Colleges....I have not succumbed to cynicism....it poisons the soul....

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

There may be some shreds of truth in the cynicism rampant in this thread, but the exposure the SWAC schools will get is still a good thing.

ETA I wrote this before seeing Bart's post above.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                      There may be some shreds of truth in the cynicism rampant in this thread, but the exposure the SWAC schools will get is still a good thing.

ETA I wrote this before seeing Bart's post above.
                      No doubt the SWACs will benefit, good for them.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        I assume you're being facetious. These are all gimmes for the Pacsters, except for UDub, of course.
                        Those SHOULD be gimmes, but that's why they play the games.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• zagdontzig
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2016

I suspect this will also help the PAC12 compete with the SEC for recruiting. Call it signaling, but it may prove to be incredibly savvy.
                          Originally posted by Reborn
                          Go Zags!!!
                          Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                            I suspect this will also help the PAC12 compete with the SEC for recruiting. Call it signaling, but it may prove to be incredibly savvy.
                            Playing SWAC teams is gonna get them a foothold in SEC country? I don't believe that myself.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                              Playing SWAC teams is gonna get them a foothold in SEC country? I don't believe that myself.
                              Agree. The world of CBB recruiting has grown very small, witness GU’s broad based success. The notion of a home state or local region advantage is antiquated.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                                No doubt the SWACs will benefit, good for them.
                                Playing HBCU’s is good business, but look for stories highlighting the differences, I.e. the haves vs. the have nots. Plenty of fodder for woke sports writers and Stephen A Smith.

Comment

Working...
                                X