Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT … PAC 12/ SWAC form new scheduling partnership

There may be some shreds of truth in the cynicism rampant in this thread, but the exposure the SWAC schools will get is still a good thing.

ETA I wrote this before seeing Bart's post above.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    There may be some shreds of truth in the cynicism rampant in this thread, but the exposure the SWAC schools will get is still a good thing.

ETA I wrote this before seeing Bart's post above.
    No doubt the SWACs will benefit, good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I assume you're being facetious. These are all gimmes for the Pacsters, except for UDub, of course.
    Those SHOULD be gimmes, but that's why they play the games.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I suspect this will also help the PAC12 compete with the SEC for recruiting. Call it signaling, but it may prove to be incredibly savvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I suspect this will also help the PAC12 compete with the SEC for recruiting. Call it signaling, but it may prove to be incredibly savvy.
    Playing SWAC teams is gonna get them a foothold in SEC country? I don't believe that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Playing SWAC teams is gonna get them a foothold in SEC country? I don't believe that myself.
    Agree. The world of CBB recruiting has grown very small, witness GU’s broad based success. The notion of a home state or local region advantage is antiquated.

No doubt the SWACs will benefit, good for them.
    Playing HBCU’s is good business, but look for stories highlighting the differences, I.e. the haves vs. the have nots. Plenty of fodder for woke sports writers and Stephen A Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Playing HBCU’s is good business, but look for stories highlighting the differences, I.e. the haves vs. the have nots. Plenty of fodder for woke sports writers and Stephen A Smith.
    My point exactly. Endowments, facilities, research. Plenty of yawning disadvantages to chew on. It’s almost predatory of the Golden Pacsters to align themselves chockablock with lessers like the SWAC. At best, noblesse oblige. But don’t expect the LAT to offer this take.

Default OT … PAC 12/ SWAC form new scheduling partnership

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Every school and conference schedules lower tier games from smaller conferences. This one seems to provide added PR due to the nature of the conference and it’s respective universities. WCC could do the same thing as well. I guess that speaks volumes about the WCC. It’s too good of a conference to schedule regular games with because PAC 12 could risk a loss.
    My thoughts exactly. It really doesn’t change their schedule composition, just lets them get some PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It really doesn’t change their schedule composition, just lets them get some PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except for the nature of the home-and-home, which is very unusual given the disparate differences in level of play.

Not so sure this is a monetary win for the SWAC...if they are playing a home and home not sure the P12 schools have to pay any "guarantee monies" to these schools...maybe they will get a portion of the gate but the visibility in games at SWAC schools will generate some additional income from P12 on campus visits and should assist with recruiting visibility for both conferences.

Still a win-win for both conferences...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Not so sure this is a monetary win for the SWAC...if they are playing a home and home not sure the P12 schools have to pay any "guarantee monies" to these schools...maybe they will get a portion of the gate but the visibility in games at SWAC schools will generate some additional income from P12 on campus visits and should assist with recruiting visibility for both conferences.

Still a win-win for both conferences...
    Basketball-wise, it’s a loss for the PAC. There is a very good reason power conferences don’t offer home-and-home arrangements with mid and low tier conferences.

It was done for social reasons, and for those social reasons it’s a win in the eyes of the admins.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Basketball-wise, it’s a loss for the PAC. There is a very good reason power conferences don’t offer home-and-home arrangements with mid and low tier conferences.

It was done for social reasons, and for those social reasons it’s a win in the eyes of the admins.
    Admins are puppets, for the most part, who serve and are beholden to the really important publics of an institution, viz donors, trustees, faculty, alums, local and state pols; foundations, corporations, NGOs.....students.

Admins are puppets, for the most part, who serve and are beholden to the really important publics of an institution, viz donors, trustees, faculty, alums, local and state pols; foundations, corporations, NGOs.....students.
    True. So it’s a win the eyes of the puppeteers.

The husky honks on 950 KJR thought this partnership could hurt smaller west coast schools such as Montana if they are not able to schedule with the PAC 12 because of this. The SEC conference is already scheduling games with the SWAC.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post

Unless there's a move afoot to artificially increase the RPI for SWAC schools, it's going to harm the PAC 12 schools. I don't recall many SWAC schools having a higher RPI than 150...all those victories will be Tier 4.