Thread: 2021 Lady Zag Fan Fest

Default 2021 Lady Zag Fan Fest

Topic which deserves its own thread.

GONZAGA BULLETIN KENNEL CLUB reports:

Ryan said a forthcoming fall semester highlight is Kraziness in The Kennel, which will be held on Saturday, Oct. 9 of Fall Family Weekend in the McCarthey Athletic Center.

Kraziness In The Kennel, a scrimmage event held by GU Athletics, is an opportunity for Zags and their families to dress up in their game-day gear while receiving a first-look at the GU men’s basketball team, in addition to experiencing the thrilling energy of The Kennel that is to come this basketball season.

Ryan said FanFest, an athletics event similar to Kraziness In The Kennel for the women's basketball team, will be held the following weekend for the GU women’s basketball team.

So that makes Fan Fest for women basketball on 16 October Saturday in the Kennel.
    Thanks to ZAB for first posting this information.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 09-15-2021 at 03:45 PM.

If your not vaccinated don't plan on being able to attend. Some people still don't get it, I met a 70 year man I had not seen since the 1st Covid outbreak at the gym. It was good to see him again the first thing he asked me was if he was vaccinated, I told him got my 2nd shot 1st week in May, then he said he does not believe in the vaccination. I said so your one of those and he said your one of those. Then he said I believe in the facts, well I know this man is extremely opinionated and stubborn. So I figured he was a lost cause, but then I thought I would take one stab at it to see if you was one of those. So I said do you know over 95% of those hospitalized have not been vaccinated? He said this is all made up and then I knew he was one of those lost causes. I immediately changed the subject. Just heard news that they have like 16 people in Providence Hospital on ventilators all not vaccinated. Providence hospital reported this is the worst they have seen it since Covid began, and they have canceled elective surgeries.

Hopefully leaders in Washington will wisen up and require vaccinations for K-12 down to 12 years old, and when approved by CDC down to 5 years old which would keep all students safe.

Sadly numerous hard headed people continue to learn the hard way when they themselves or a loved one is in the hospital with Covid fighting for their lives. How sad is it that numerous parents continue to put their children in danger, because of their lack of reason and stubbornness to not only not get vaccinated themselves but push this bad decision on their children also.

Not to get into a Vaxx or not to Vaxx discussion but,

Months ago we were told we needed 75-85% minimum vaccination rate to achieve herd immunity. We were also told if we did not achieve herd immunity, we would see a significant increase in Covid infections and hospitalizations come this Fall.

Well, we were told what would happen and yet here we are arriving couple of months early at the station.

Stay safe everyone.

ZagDad

Check out channel 4 news (ABC) special report at 6:00PM tonight going inside Providence Hospital ICU treating of Covid patients.

Hey ZAB,

Can we not make the remainder of this thread a thread about Covid, Vaccinations or Masking?

We can discuss that on your threads if you like, but I would like to keep this thread on the thread topic; 2021 FanFest.

Thank You,

ZagDad

I think the point is you are not likely to be going to get into the MAC for this event unless your are vaccinated. That seems to be the stance of the University (mandatory vaccination for students, faculty and staff) although as a season ticket holder for the Men’s program, I haven’t been told that - yet - but I expect some pronouncement will be coming soon. Because of the Governor’s recent executive order, masks are likely to be required for indoor events, regardless of vaccination status. So plan ahead and finally, don’t complain if you can’t get in. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    I think the point is you are not likely to be going to get into the MAC for this event unless your are vaccinated. That seems to be the stance of the University (mandatory vaccination for students, faculty and staff) although as a season ticket holder for the Men’s program, I haven’t been told that - yet - but I expect some pronouncement will be coming soon. Because of the Governor’s recent executive order, masks are likely to be required for indoor events, regardless of vaccination status. So plan ahead and finally, don’t complain if you can’t get in. Nuff said.
    Thanks Airborne, and I agree and that is why I did not say anything after the 1st post because it contained info relevant to the thread topic.

ZAB's feelings about Covid, Vaccinations and masking are well known to this board and he has made his position very clear on numerous posts on this board. This part of the post is on point and very applicable to this thread:

If your not vaccinated don't plan on being able to attend. Some people still don't get it
    The rest of the post and his second post are his personal pontification on the Covid issue or providing local/general Covid information and even if I agree with it (and for the most part I do), we have numerous posters on this board who don't.

That is why I asked ZAB to keep the rest of his postings on this thread to the thread topic. He has several of threads he has started and discussed in depth the Covid issues and he is more than welcome to do so. Those who don't want to read about it or discuss it can ignore those threads.

If, and when, more definitive data on Covid becomes available, as it applies to Lady Zag BB and attending events at Gonzaga, that information is encouraged to be posted as it is relative to the thread topic. Otherwise, posters have the options for visiting ZABs threads to discuss Covid.

Thanks for coming by.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 09-16-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Fan attendance rules are out for season ticket holders. Proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours will be required for “ticketed events”. Masks will also be required regardless of vaccination status for all fan 5 and older. These rules are supposed to be announced tomorrow. No real surprises given the state of things. Not clear se rules will apply to free events but I can’t see why not. Carry on.

Thanks AirborneJag.

I just got this in my e-mail.

Thank you for your support of Gonzaga Athletics as we continue to navigate the pandemic and ongoing impact of COVID-19. With students back on campus and an impressive start to our Fall competitive seasons, the anticipation is already building for the beginning of basketball season. As such, we wanted to personally communicate to you an update to our attendance policies.

We are excited for our student-athletes to have the ability to compete in front of spectators again, and are going to do everything in our power to provide them that experience throughout the season. As COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations continue to increase in our region, it is important that we proactively employ public health measures to keep our student-athletes, staff, and fans safe

In accordance with federal, state, and local guidelines, proof of vaccination against COVID-19 will be required for entry to all Gonzaga University ticketed athletic events. If unable to show proof of vaccination, fans may provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of the event. Face coverings will also be required at our venues, unless actively eating or drinking. These policies will be announced publicly tomorrow, but as a loyal season ticket holder we wanted to provide you with this information first:

- Fans ages 12 and older are required to provide proof of vaccination, including a CDC-issued Vaccination Record Card (or photo of the card) to enter into Gonzaga Athletic home events.
    - Fans ages 12 and older who cannot provide proof of vaccination may present proof of negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours instead of proof of vaccination.
    - Fans ages 11 and under do not need to provide proof of negative COVID-19 test.
    - Fans over the age of 5, regardless of vaccination status, must wear face mask coverings over their nose and mouth while inside the venue. Masks may be adjusted while actively eating or
    drinking.
    - Gonzaga University students, faculty and staff can show their valid University ID as proof of compliance with the University’s COVID-19 campus vaccination policy.

This policy will be evaluated as federal, state, and local guidance is revised.

We understand that you may have questions about this policy and how it impacts your ability to attend games or utilize your tickets this season. Please contact us by calling the Gonzaga Ticket Office at 509-313-6000 or email tickets@gonzaga.edu to set up a time to discuss what options are available to you.

Thank you again for your continued support of our student-athletes.

Sincerely,
    Chris Standiford
    Director of Athletics
    ZagDad

From GoZags:

Gonzaga to host Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel and Numerica FanFest
    Zag men and women host annual events on Oct. 9 and 16

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga basketball will host Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel at 1pm on Oct. 9, and Numerica FanFest at 4pm on Oct. 16, with doors opening one hour prior to both events.

Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel will be the first look at the 2021-22 men's basketball team, while Numerica FanFest will be the annual early glance at the women's basketball team.

While both events remain free to attend, Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel will be a ticketed event with attendees needing to claim a ticket for entry. A limited number of tickets will be made available to the general public on October 4th. Details on how to claim tickets to Numerica Kraziness in Kennel will be posted on www.gozags.com at a later date.

Earlier this week Gonzaga announced an updated Fan Attendance Policy which will be in effect for both events, with fans 12 and older are required to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test prior to entry.

"We are looking forward to hosting these annual public events for our basketball programs," said Director of Athletics Chris Standiford. "We are excited to have our students and fans back in The Kennel to celebrate the start of the season."

Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel will be streamed live online at 1pm and televised locally on SWX at 4pm.
    Link: https://gozags.com/news/2021/9/22/me...a-fanfest.aspx

ZagDad

Latest and Greatest on FanFest from GoZags:

Annual Numerica FanFest Set for Saturday
    The event is open and free to the public

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga women's basketball hosts the annual Numerica FanFest in the Kennel on Saturday, Oct. 16.

Numerica Fan Fest will be the public's first look at the 2021-22 women's basketball team that returns two starters and seven letter winners from last season's squad that finished 23-4 overall with a conference-record 16-1 mark in the WCC. The Zags closed the 2020-21 season with their 17th WCC regular-season title, ninth WCC Championships title and 12th NCAA Tournament appearance.

The doors open for the event at 3 p.m. and it begins at 4 p.m. with the 2021-22 intro video followed by player introductions, manager introductions and coaching staff introductions. Head women's basketball coach Lisa Fortier will close introductions with an address to the crowd.

Following introductions, the event will feature a skills contest, three-point shooting contest and a four-quarter controlled scrimmage with each quarter lasting four minutes.

An updated Fan Attendance Policy is in effect for this event, with fans 12 and older required to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test prior to entry.
    Link: https://gozags.com/news/2021/10/15/w...-saturday.aspx

ZagDad

Happy FanFest Day, Lady Zag Fans!!

Gates open at 3:00 PM and festivities start at 4:00 PM.

For those of you who are going, stop by tonight and post your highlights and thoughts concerning this years Lady Zags.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Happy FanFest Day, Lady Zag Fans!!

Gates open at 3:00 PM and festivities start at 4:00 PM.

For those of you who are going, stop by tonight and post your highlights and thoughts concerning this years Lady Zags.

ZagDad
    Went to the fan fest today. Little trouble getting in if you had proof of vaccination. I had made a photocopy of my card. Still, a much smaller crowd than in past events.

Looks like this year's team enjoys playing with one another. I saw lots of friendly interaction between the girls, both in the warm ups, and even in the scrimmage. I believe one of the Truong twins won the skills contests. Star freshman Bree Salenbien won the three point contest over Eliza Hollingsworth. Both hit in double figures in the timed event, and also in the preceding semifinals. The Blue team beat the Red 30-25 in the scrimmage. Kaylynne Truong, playing for the Red, had, I think, 12 points. I was impressed with the aggressiveness of Anamaria, who scored 8 points for the Blue team, and brought down 4 rebounds. It was good to see her mixing it up. Salenbien, who played for the Blue, sat out some of the contest, but showed why she was a highly rated recruit. Lots of athleticism, and she's not scared to dive for the ball. A nice introduction to the new faces on the team.

Kylee Griffen wasn't suited up. I had a chance to talk to her briefly, and it looks like a medical retirement. She's still with the team, but won't be playing. I saw her play in high school and was very impressed. It's sad her college career turned out the way it did.

What happened to those who do not want to be part of an experiment
    Just testing before they attend. At least you know they are not COVID a positive
    If they test negative.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
    What happened to those who do not want to be part of an experiment
    Just testing before they attend. At least you know they are not COVID a positive
    If they test negative.
    Rules have been established by Gonzaga in advance for all sporting events prior to FanFest. You know what you needed to do to attend today's event. If you elected not to meet the various methods of compliance (vaccination, pre-testing, etc.) then the lack of ability to attend is simply a consequence for your choice.

ZagDad

- so sad to hear (above) about kylee griffen......i had a hunch when she once again showed up in street clothes.
    - i'm sure she will nonetheless carry life long good memories of gu and friends made.

- frankly my biggest take away from seeing the women playing this afternoon was anamaria. her first touch of the game was a pivot move to her right with a nifty 180 pivot to a left hand layin. smooth as could be.
    - she took a couple of passes in transition and with quick instinct put the ball off glass and in the bucket.
    - don't want to make too much out of a single scrimmage, but she looked smooth today, whereas to my eye she had always looked a bit awkward and uncomfortable on the court.

- bree definitely has talent, sees the court well, good passer, can create her own shot usually on a drive. i thought her handle was a bit loose.

Thanks Cavebear33 & GonzaGAW.

I agree, the crowd was definitely smaller than in past years. I would have thought that after not being able to attend any Lady Zag event in the kennel last year, the crowd would have been much larger. More than a little disappointed in the attendance.

Prior to the start of FanFest, I picked up a pre-season book with both the men and women basketball team and coaching summaries inside along with Q & As for the coaches. Here are Coach Fortier's (CLFs) comments on the incoming freshman.

Bree Salenbien is a really good shooter. With her offensive skillset, she is able to play the #1, #2 and #4. She can handle the ball. She can be a backup point guard. She can certainly shoot it from deep. That's probably her biggest asset. She can get to her jumper. She's long enough to finish. She's another competitor.

Callie Stokes is extremely phy7sical. She looks like a "Baby Townie" out there right now. She can get to the rim and plays with a lot of intensity. She is extremely hard and will sacrifice her body. She is a bit of a problem for people out there. I don't think anyone enjoys guarding her because she's just tough and physical. She's a problem defensively because of her length. She is very strong and can shoot it really well. She's worked a lot on her foot work. She is physical and has good basketball IQ. She is the most talkative. She is always calling for the ball loud and directing traffic. She is a really good rebounder. She would regularly get 18, 15 rebounds a game as a guard.

Esther Little played some point guard and some forward. So, she's kind of like Bree, very flexible within the positioning that we can play her. She is still working and needs to spend some more time in the gym working on her feet and getting set for some of the pull-ups that in the mid-range stuff. But she is gaining confidence and she has been doing a really good job being far from home for the first time. And that is a struggle for all of them.

Payton Muma has worked hard in the weight room. She must continue to put on some weight, but she is a point guard who is skilled. She plays with confidence and can shoot it. She can get past people with a little bit of burst. I think those are her two biggest assets currently.

Got to the kennel about 3:40 and had no trouble entering. Simple check of the vax card and walk-thru the metal detector. There was no line-up to get in at 20 minutes before the event. Players were running typical pre-game drills when I first got in. Noticed that CW, both Truongs, Bree and Eliza seemed to be hitting their 3s most of the time.

FanFest started with the player introductions and a short speech by CLF and then the viewing of the pre-game video. I thought the pre-game video was pretty nice overall not the best I have seen but considering the number of new players this year and the poor ending of last year, not to bad at all. It will get the fans jazzed before each home game. As noted by Cavebear above, Kylee Griffen was in street clothes and appears will not play again this year as she is a medical retirement.

Next up was the skills competition. I think the intent was for the players to start around half court, dribble around a series of cones and pass the ball to an assistant standing out of bounds who would pass the ball back to the player who would dribble the ball back to half-court, turn-around and dribble back to the hoop and make a lay-up. After the lay-up the player would have to make a free throw and then make a 3. Whoever finished first would win the contestant. I say I think that was how it was supposed to work, but I am not sure if any of the players complete the contest in the same way. McKayla won one of the semi-finals and Yvonne and Melody were in the other semi-final. Both YE and MK missed 3 straight 3s but YE hit the 3 on her 4th try and moved onto the finals. In the finals, YE and MW were close, MW got off her 3 first but she missed and YE hit her 3 on the first try to take home the honors.

In the 3 point shooting contest it was the biggest versus the not so bigs. Eliza and Bree faced off against CW and K-14 (I think)and wouldn't you know it, both of the bigs came out victorious but it was close in both cases. Eliza made the most 3s in round 1 with 13. In the final it was EH vs BS and Bree came out victorious as EH had a couple of 3s go halfway down and pop out. In addition, the two players helping EH lost track of the ball and cost her a chance at a couple of more shots by having to chase balls. Both Bree and Eliza looked very good shooting from 3.

After a 7 minute warmup, it was on to the scrimmage which consisted of four 4-minute quarters. You can't get a lot out of a live scrimmage because the defense knows the offensive plays as well as you do. That being said a few people and plays stood out to me.

Of the experience players:
    - K-11: Solid, Nothing spectacular, did not call attention to herself. She is a very competent point guard. No worries here.
    - CW: Solid, Nothing spectacular, did not call attention to herself. She seemed to play a lot at the #3 and Bree played at the #2. CW looks much more muscular this year.
    - MK: Once again solid. Did look for her shot first before passing the ball on several occasions. Shook herself free of the defense and got wide open for a lay-up.
    - AO: Looked much more comfortable in the offense and looked for her shot first before passing. Made a couple of shots. Looks to be improved from last year.
    - AV: Anna was looking for her shot. Made a short jumper, did a spin move around the defender for a lay-up. Her footwork looked to be much improved from last year.
    - K-14: My player for most improved. Looked very confident shooting 3s, short range jumpers, driving to the hoop or passing. That junior jump for the CLF guards continues.
    - EH: Got some rebounds, hit some shots, looked good. She just needs PT to keep improving. She looks like she can be a big asset on both the outside or inside.
    - YE: Looked like she did this summer. Quick first step to the hoop. Has no fear who is guarding her, thinks she can take them, and for the most part, she did. A big asset this year.
    - MW: Looks like she worked on her footwork. Could be a prime defender. Showed some ball skills that were not evident last year. Long arms makes for a difficult defender.

As far as the newbies go, my thoughts are as follows.

- Esther: Looked decent in warmup but a little lost in the scrimmage. May have the skills, but needs some serious footwork help before she can be successful at this level.
    - Maud: Did not look poor, but did nothing to call attention to herself, good or bad. Practiced at Syracuse all last year. Maybe just not comfortable yet in Zag system.
    - Payton: Showed some ball handling skills. Needs a lot more muscle to play at the D-1 level. ZAB says she is going to redshirt this year.
    - Callie: She reminds me of Paige at BYU. Very Physical, very determined. Lost the ball at one end of the court and chased down thief and blocked the lay-up. A junior JT for sure.
    - Bree: Bree looked very comfortable on the court at all times, not like a freshman at all. I am not sure I agree with CLF that she can play point guard, but she certainly could play the shooting guard or wing with her ball skills, passing and shooting ability. After an initial few games, do not be surprised if Bree is the leading scorer in several of the OOC games. She is the real deal.

FanFest ended with Melody getting the mic and thanking the crowd for attending. She said you do not realize how much the team missed having fans for their home games.

Highlights were the apparent improvements to the games of our upperclassman K-14, AV and AO, all of which we are going to need. The sophomore year jump in improvement of YE (Ms. Inside) and EH (Ms. Outside) and MW (Ms. Defense). The verification of the freshman skills of Callie and Bree who look like they can be ready to contribute in year one.

Congrats to the GU band, the dance team and the bomb squad who all looked in mid-season form.

Only three weeks to the Lady Zag exhibition game and we can see how the ladies fair against competition that does not have "ZAGS" emblazoned across their chest.

ZagDad

Write-Up from the Spokesman-Review on FanFest:

Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...nual-fan-fest/

Pictures from FanFest from the Spokesman-Review:

Link: https://www.spokesman.com/galleries/...fan-fest-2021/

Lady Zag Facebook & Twitter page have some pictures and videos from today's fanfest.

Facebook Link: https://business.facebook.com/ZagWBB/?__xts__[0]=68..

Twitter Link: https://twitter.com/ZagWBB

ZagDad