• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bdmiller7
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Yes, but Few was a proponent of NIL, right? I gotta think GU knew the implications and thinks it’s well-positioned in this environment.
    When you’re a coach you kinda have to say you’re for NIL don’t you? Seems like being against it might hurt recruiting a bit.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
      When you’re a coach you kinda have to say you’re for NIL don’t you? Seems like being against it might hurt recruiting a bit.
      Yes, but didn’t he go so far as testifying before Congress on its merits?

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

I definitely defer to Few et al on the merits of they know more than me and have a better feel for the implications something like this could impact in areas I’ve never considered, but on the surface I still disagree. The value of an college education is a very good trade off in my head. Then again I also disagree that minimum wage should be a “living wage” and not a “starting wage” but let’s not open up that lol

Comment

• maynard g krebs
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
          Then again I also disagree that minimum wage should be a “living wage” and not a “starting wage” but let’s not open up that lol
          So, you're expressing an opinion on a topic, and then saying not to "open up" what you just opened up? Got it.

Comment

• hooter73
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2008

Exactly!

sorry, I'll slink back to Caldwells site now...

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Jul 2019

You must get it for free, I'm shocked anyone would pay for that...

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jsnider View Post
                StatZag - I think you hit the nail on the head. I do think the NIL thing is hurting Gonzaga recruiting. I think there is the perception that the players from other schools in power conferences can be paid more than what they can make at Gonzaga. I don't know enough about it but I think the NIL thing is not fully putting all schools on a level playing field.
                The P-5 + BE conferences have a distinct advantage...they have tremendous income and financial support from their boosters, which in turn will provide stronger opportunities for their athletes. In this case many think that bigger is better and recruits will show a tendency to gravitate to these programs...Money talks and BS walks as the saying goes...It stands to reason that with all the assets these schools have they can and will develop a track record of signing top tier recruits in Bball and FB...money garners more money...

It will become increasingly more difficult for all the other conferences to compete for top tier basketball recruits. Recently we saw top tier recruits sign with HBC's but that is a rarity. IMO GU will get a top tier recruit but they won't be getting 2-3 top 25 recruits on any regular basis...

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                  The P-5 + BE conferences have a distinct advantage...they have tremendous income and financial support from their boosters, which in turn will provide stronger opportunities for their athletes. In this case many think that bigger is better and recruits will show a tendency to gravitate to these programs...Money talks and BS walks as the saying goes...It stands to reason that with all the assets these schools have they can and will develop a track record of signing top tier recruits in Bball and FB...money garners more money...

It will become increasingly more difficult for all the other conferences to compete for top tier basketball recruits. Recently we saw top tier recruits sign with HBC's but that is a rarity. IMO GU will get a top tier recruit but they won't be getting 2-3 top 25 recruits on any regular basis...
                  You speak of conferences, but of real importance is budget and support. GU’s budget is in the top tier of the power conferences. GU is a unicorn.

Comment

• Markburn1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                    You speak of conferences, but of real importance is budget and support. GU’s budget is in the top tier of the power conferences. GU is a unicorn.
                    GU is a unicorn in a lot of respects, but they are behind the eight ball in this case. It's not the conferences per se that will be financially lucrative for the kids, it's the marketing potential. The Power Five teams in the largest media markets are in a much more advantageous position than a small school in the Pacific Northwest. Can you say UCLA, Syracuse, etc.? I'd also look for schools like SMU, Georgia Tech and Villanova to make a leap in attracting top tier prospects.

Comment

• Bogozags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
                      GU is a unicorn in a lot of respects, but they are behind the eight ball in this case. It's not the conferences per se that will be financially lucrative for the kids, it's the marketing potential. The Power Five teams in the largest media markets are in a much more advantageous position than a small school in the Pacific Northwest. Can you say UCLA, Syracuse, etc.? I'd also look for schools like SMU, Georgia Tech and Villanova to make a leap in attracting top tier prospects.
                      Agree that GU is a Unicorn but the P-5 & BE total 76 teams in every major TV market in the country. GU by itself will be hard pressed to be able to find the resources to which these conferences/teams have access. If the BE were to invite GU to join then that would add to their marketing ability for their student athletes because the BE have connections in major TV markets as well.

All I'm saying is that the playing field isn't leveling out but on the contrary as GU by itself, in the WCC will be hard pressed to compete in NIL contacts/contracts for their student athletes...not say they won't be able to do better than many other teams in the west...

It isn't going to be easy for us...

Comment

• scrooner
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Marketing?? People are just giving kids money now under the guise of NIL. Here's one example: https://www.ksl.com/article/50222512...on-scholarship

Comment

• Markburn1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                          Marketing?? People are just giving kids money now under the guise of NIL. Here's one example: https://www.ksl.com/article/50222512...on-scholarship
                          Crazy. I see every BYU female athlete in every sport is being paid. About 6 thousand a year. A two million dollar contract. And that's from only one company. I'm sure more companies will jump on board.

Comment

Working...
                          X